• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R anti roll bars

Hi all
1. What is the best combination front rear for fast road use.
2. Is there any difference between the na1r and na2r front anti roll bars?

I seemed to remember someone saying the type-r front and type S rear was the best option.

Cheers.

Hi all

I seemed to remember someone saying the type-r front and type S rear was the best option.

Cheers.

This is a great thread that covers a lot of what you're looking for. Generally it depends on what current suspension mods you have, what wheel/tire package you have, and what type of driving you enjoy. With the options of stock, NSX-R, and Zanardi you can really dial in how you want the car to feel and 'best' is a bit subjective. Do you like a little play in the rear, or do you like to keep some understeer to feel safer?

Last edited:
Type R front, Type S rear is what I have. Very nice on the street with good sticky tires.

109322-d9c1eae7a7f568759031c903a72a6961.jpg

Hi all

Cheers.
"Best" is quite subjective when it comes to handling. Do you like more oversteer or understeer in your setup? The base NSX sway bar setup is designed for slight understeer. The Type-S moves to more of an oversteer/neutral setup. The NSX-R moves back to an understeer bias.

FRONT SWAY
Stiffer = Understeer (increases front stability by keeping the inside tire in more contact with the pavement). You can be more aggressive with steering input, but you will lose chassis compliance over bumps.
Softer = Oversteer (decreases front stability by allowing the inside tire to lift away from the pavement). You have to be more careful with steering input, but the car will be more composed over bumps.

REAR SWAY
Stiffer = Oversteer (increases rear stability). Allows you to get on the throttle earlier in the corner. Too stiff and you can get snap oversteer.
Softer = Understeer (allows more chassis roll at the rear of the car). However, you can get corner-exit oversteer if it's too soft. Basically you get on the throttle before both wheels have solid contact with the pavement.

People like the Type-S because it is more oversteer-focused (softer front, stiffer rear). This makes the NSX feel more lively and responsive on the road. However, at the track, this setup makes the car more prone to spins and snap oversteer, so most people prefer the NSX-R understeer setup.

Personally, I had the RM Racing sways on my 91 and I loved them. They were 19.1 mm front and rear and thicker metal than the OEM bars, IIRC. So, the car had a very neutral feel at the track.

Last edited:
Just curious if the NSX-R bar is solid or hollow? I've read elsewhere here that the OE is hollow and the NSX-R is solid?

Just to clarify---- is the "issue" we're trying to fix with the chassis bars and thicker front sway bar slow turning response (slow turn-in?)? I just bought a 2003 NSX, and if I jerk the wheel to the left and right, there's a lag before the car will respond either way. Other sporty cars I've driven (Nismo 350z, Z4M coupe, last gen WRX) were fairly responsive and would turn almost immediately and with minimal body roll. Not sure if it's the tires that are on the car, or if this is normal for a NSX. I've only driven my own NSX and don't have other NSX's as a reference.

Back