• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R wheels available in 19" and CF

Picking up from this thread, MACHSPEED has agreed to create NSX-R wheels in a 19" size, probably 8" front and 10" rear. These wheels have the signature CF barrel, plus a replica of the Type-R spokes, forged (aluminum or magnesium), with spokes proportioned for the 19" wheel. They will be quite light (~10lbs), delivering less rotating mass than most spec wheels, thus spinning up faster. I am sending MACHSPEED one each of my front and rear 17" JDM NSX-R wheels to pattern from. His company will use a laser to scan the OEM wheels and input directly into AutoCAD, then create the prototype from there. They will test the prototype wheel against the OEM wheel for fitment.

With a group buy of 15 sets, MACHSPEED is able to reduce the price to the NSX community. The company can offer them at $1,300 each (originally $2,500/$3,000). While expensive when compared to other aftermarket wheels, these are less than I spend on my BBS track wheels. Finally, the NSX-R wheels can be offered in various colors, fully painted like Type-R, or with varying CF options.

I'm in for a set, any other's interested?

If this is presumably being done for performance (weight reduction) reasons, then why aren't they going to be made in sizes for the best performance (16-17" front, 17-18" rear), instead of the bling bling 19"/19" size?

nsxtasy said:
If this is presumably being done for performance (weight reduction) reasons, then why aren't they going to be made in sizes for the best performance (16-17" front, 17-18" rear), instead of the bling bling 19"/19" size?

I would agree. 19/19 will slow the car down.

We will build the sizes that you want......16 to 20 .......spoke color as well as carbon colrs are at your choice.

Price is beyond what I am willing to spend, but FWIW I would be inclined to buy 17s all around before anything else (lighter, cheaper, more/OEM tires). Any chance of a price reduced 17/17 in offering?

nsxtasy said:
Guilty! Although I profess performance rationale, I live near a major silicone-enhanced nerve center — Miami — where Bling is King! Like many folks, I think the NSX could use a larger wheel to fill up those wheel wells. The CF barrel keeps the larger rotating mass to a minimum, thus providing a compromise between bling and performance. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

I'm interest in 18/18, how long would this special order take???
Also, what color or CF choices are available???

serialNSXer said:
Guilty! Although I profess performance rationale, I live near a major silicone-enhanced nerve center — Miami — where Bling is King! Like many folks, I think the NSX could use a larger wheel to fill up those wheel wells. The CF barrel keeps the larger rotating mass to a minimum, thus providing a compromise between bling and performance. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

I though you would have ordered the factory Type R wheels for that beauty.

serialNSXer said:
Like many folks, I think the NSX could use a larger wheel to fill up those wheel wells.
I'm not sure if "many folks" are mistakenly under the impression that the wheel size determines the spacing within the wheel wells, rather than the tire size... ;)

awsomr1 said:
I'm interest in 18/18, how long would this special order take???
Also, what color or CF choices are available???
6 - 8 weeks for first build then we will build every set within a week nine weeks plus or minus a week

wheel well wishy-washy!

nsxtasy said:
I'm not sure if "many folks" are mistakenly under the impression that the wheel size determines the spacing within the wheel wells, rather than the tire size... ;)

hmmm... So are you implying this?!? :biggrin:

RandysDonuts.JPG

So to better fill the wheel well, let's say for 16/17 OEM wheels... 205/65/16 & 245/60/17...? hehe...

The larger diameter wheel has a greater visible surface area, negating the space otherwise occupied by a larger profile tire and wheel well 'blackspace'.

I am thinking Anil/serialnsxer was referring from an aesthetic point view of seeing a larger diameter wheel as opposed to 'empty space' or tire profile... not referring to wheel width or offset (how flush it maybe to the fender). Then again, vhat do I know!
:tongue:

Last edited:
Re: wheel well wishy-washy!

Osiris_x11 said:

hmmm... So are you implying this?!? The larger diameter wheel has a greater visible surface area, negating the space otherwise occupied by a larger profile tire and wheel well 'blackspace'.

I am thinking Anil/serialnsxer was referring from an aesthetic point view of seeing a larger diameter wheel as opposed to 'empty space' or tire profile... not referring to wheel width or offset (how flush it maybe to the fender). Then again, vhat do I know!
Thanks for saving me! :biggrin: Honestly, yes, I was speaking to a visual mass that 18" and 19" wheels could offer the eye to "fill up" the wheel well. Once MACHSPEED has patterned my OEM R wheels, we'll all have a better idea of how flexible he can be in creating R wheels in varying sizes, offsets, and widths. He already has a clever idea for creating wheels in sizes 17" to 20," without making different molds...though he needs a show of hands of how many folks would be interested if varying sizes of R wheels could be produced.

NetViper said:
I though you would have ordered the factory Type R wheels for that beauty.
I did, but 17" just seems small in a 19" world. It's true, size matters (pathetic, eh?)! I will run the JDM R wheels unless MACHSPEED can build me a set of 19." Then I will sell my JDM wheels.

serialNSXer said:
...MACHSPEED has agreed to create NSX-R wheels in a 19" size, probably 8" front and 10" rear. These wheels have the signature CF barrel, plus a replica of the Type-R spokes, forged (aluminum or magnesium), with spokes proportioned for the 19" wheel....

Arata said:
I would buy a set in 18" sizes around 8 to 8.5 front and 9 to 10 rear.

Q1. How do you guys hope to fit these sizes on the front of the NSX??? :confused: Removal of wheel well liners?

Q2. I know 19" will fit on the rear but this size will be larger than the OEM diameter even with very thin rubber like 30 series... So even if the wheel is lighter with less rotating mass than a 17" OEM wheel, wont this make your gearing taller and slower acceleration, as well as throwing your speedo calibration out...??? :confused:

serialNSXer said:
I did, but 17" just seems small in a 19" world. It's true, size matters (pathetic, eh?)! I will run the JDM R wheels unless MACHSPEED can build me a set of 19." Then I will sell my JDM wheels.

I am a quitely confident person, so I do not have to impress with size... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: j/k

Seriously though... serialNSXer, I want first dibs on your JDM-R wheels if you are going to sell them!

Yes the 19's are taller and do rub(inside wheel well).Definately not for an everday driver IMO.How do I know?
I have a set of 19's and 20's on mine.(different brand name though).
Stacy

The 2002+ cars are same size front and back, as is the NSX-R. Though that is not the case for the NA1 cars. For these, the 18" from MACHSPEED might be the largest usable. I'll let MACHSPEED comment...

I am interested in a set of 17/18 but would prefer one of the earlier designs.

Regarding the 19's, I would be concerned about damaging a rim with all the potholes near me. Something tells me wheelamerica.com won't be able to fix this rim!

I am interested in a set of forged magnesium spoke 17" front and 18" rear to replace my regular magnesium tecnomagnesio wheels. Also what offsets are you planning in this size... FWIW the tecnomagnesio offsets are perfect.. (i'll say it again .. perfect) The rear wheel is pushed out about a half inch -- where it should off been and the fronts (and rears) clear my bbk.

Do the nsx r wheels have the same offset as the 17" oem wheels .. if so they will have sunken into the body rear wheel syndrom.. like the oem wheels.

thanks

tom

AU_NSX said:
Q1. How do you guys hope to fit these sizes on the front of the NSX??? :confused: Removal of wheel well liners?

Q2. I know 19" will fit on the rear but this size will be larger than the OEM diameter even with very thin rubber like 30 series... So even if the wheel is lighter with less rotating mass than a 17" OEM wheel, wont this make your gearing taller and slower acceleration, as well as throwing your speedo calibration out...??? :confused:

A1. The wheels will be several differnt sizes that you can request to fit your application. We are able to adjust the backspacing however we are not able to adjust the lip. These wheel will look just like the NSX-R design.
with our current demand it is not a design need for a dished wheel design. We hope within the next 6months we will have this resolved but dont hold your breath.

A2. Sounds like you will need a tuner to change the computer/speedo gear....honestly I dont know how you would do this. I havent got that far with my car to find out what you can change within the computer. but yes you will have slower acceleration...but a higher top end :biggrin: but I know what you are saying out of the hole you will not be as fast.....this is why will build you the wheel size that you want......

A2, the speedo calibration is easily fixed (with a 100.00 item called a yellow box that allows you to fine tune the signal to the speedo and make the speed as acurate OR more so then stock). This is not the real issue .. the real issues are you are slowing the car down with the bigger wheel and you will through off your tcs with the odd diameters front to rear. (the tcs expects a certain ratio of front diameter to rear diameter (so the front wheel turns x amount of times versus the rear) and you would certainly be out of range)

Hello Curt,
I am also interested in a group buy, but I will need a custom offset, since I will be fitting them on a widebody car. They will have to be a "deep-dish". I haven't obtained the dimensions yet, but I should have them by next week.
I don't know what it would look like with 19" wheels all around (if someone has any pics of a car with 19s, I would appreciate it), but I would be interested in the 19s all around, or the 18/19 combo. How much less will it cost for the 17/18 combo or 18s all around? My car will be yellow, so does anyone have a recommendation for the color of the wheels for my car? I've seen a few with the gunmetal finish, as well as the silver. With your experience in CF and various cars, what color combo would you recommend Curt?
My car should be out of the shop in less than a month, so I would like to make a decision soon.

Thank you!

Back