• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX safety

I'm in the market for a used NSX.. probably 93-95.. My question is, how safe are these cars? I just had a rather bad accident in a 95 Supra TT and wasn't injured at all. Are the NSX's comparable in safety?

thanks,
Rob

Actually, the NSX is different from other cars. It's reinforced throughout the entire car - mostly to provide rigidity for performance reasons, but it also protects in the event of an accident.

Based on what I've seen of NSX's that have been in accidents, it would be my car of choice if I were to have an accident - even over cars much larger and heavier than the NSX.

I always wondered if there is any crash test information or videos of the NSX? I'm sure Honda had to provide this info to the insurance companies one time or another right?

hapa, you have the same wheels as I did on my Supra. heh. 18" SSR Integrals
frown.gif

Ah well.

Rob

NSXTACY sent me a private e-mail to comment on this subject.

All I can say is after being upside down off the side of the road and only having a superficial scratch on my neck, I would say the NSX is a FANTASTIC car for crashworthiness!!! That being said, as we all were just recently shown (Sadly!) any car can injure or even kill you. However my vote for the car to be in in a major accident (I think a rollover is MAJOR) is the NSX!

I don't have the web site address here at home but I believe the story of my crash is somewhere in the archives of vtec.net.

Keeping the Shinny Side Up
Steve "Flipside" Riter

Originally posted by nsx808:
My question is, how safe are these cars?

Correct me if Im wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that David Huang (sp?) rolled his white 91' a few years back during a track session and the rear hatch glass didnt even break.

Dr. David Hwang, founder of the NSX Club of America and the NSX e-mail list, totalled his black (not white) NSX on the track (Mid-Ohio) at NSXPO '98. However, this is probably not a good example because the car had run into a tire wall and was going very slowly when it rolled over.

Its all about what you hit and how you hit it. Safty is important but luck plays a big part of it if you ask me. I've totaled seven cars in my life in high speed accidents on the road and the track. My uncle was hit in his car last year by a guy doing 15 MPH and he will be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.
frown.gif

A few years ago, when I was a little bit younger and a lot crazier, I wrecked an NSX at over 125 mph. Flew 12 - 15 high (according to witnesses) and landed over 40 ft. off the road. Both doors still opened and the interior was in perfect shape. The only injury to me was to my left thumb from kickback through the steering wheel (three tires were ripped off the car). The police did not believe I was the driver when they showed up.

I can not imagine any car surviving that impact with less damage. It was truly amazing.

Originally posted by steveny:
Its all about what you hit and how you hit it. Safty is important but luck plays a big part of it if you ask me. I've totaled seven cars in my life in high speed accidents on the road and the track. My uncle was hit in his car last year by a guy doing 15 MPH and he will be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that. I recommend he buy himself an NSX.

[This message has been edited by rcarlos (edited 02 June 2001).]

Back