• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX sale from US to Canada

Hi all,
I am currently trying to sell my NSX to a Canadian citizen. I am a US citizen. He is having difficulty jumping through all the hoops Canada has for registering a foreign car. One in particular he needs is a "Notice of Recall" from US Honda. They will not give it to him unless he has a US driver's license, US insurance and US registration, which is not an option considering where he lives.
If any of you have experience selling a car from the US to Canada, please post here or feel free to email me about it. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, You as the registered owner of the car have to request the Recall Clearance Letter from American Honda. They will not issue this letter to the buyer. The letter from Honda take appox 3 weeks.
The Canadian Gov't will NOT let him register the car in Canada without this letter. As a matter of fact they can order the car crushed or set back to the US.

You can PM me for all the other details, I will try and help the Canadian buyer will the various steps as well.
My email address is [email protected]

Bram

Simple the car don't meet their requirements....without the RCL the "importer" have two options.
1 Return the car to the US
2 Have the car crushed

Bram

We do what and who we want in Canada!
Crushing cars is just one of our sports!
tRev

Last edited:
Thanks Bram. I'll have the letter issued to me. The person at American Honda told me the letter is useless to the buyer if it is in my name, which makes absolutely no sense to me, considering there are other Canadian citizens who have bought NSX from the US successfully without also being a US citizen.

Dave

<---I sold my smashed up S-2000 to a Canadian resident a couple of months ago. The new owner made the mistake of calling Honda of America and requesting this letter to no avail. Then I tried, Honda stated that I wasn't the owner anymore. So I went to my local Honda dealer and had them type a letter stating there wasn't any recalls on the car and mailed it to him. This sufficed and the new owner was able to register the vehicle .If I were doing it over again I would get the recall letter BEFORE selling the car to a Canadian resident. Once Honda US finds out its been sold to a Canadian resident they are unwilling to send this letter ,They say its a grey market car. :confused:

Dave, it does not matter whom the letter is address to, The Canadian Govt just want the letter from the manufacture with the VIN number.

I had to get the same when I purchased my car from the US .

Bram

tochigidream said:
Thanks Bram. I'll have the letter issued to me. The person at American Honda told me the letter is useless to the buyer if it is in my name, which makes absolutely no sense to me, considering there are other Canadian citizens who have bought NSX from the US successfully without also being a US citizen.

Dave

I had to lie to the lady from American Honda by telling her I'm still the owner of the car after I told her I sold it (luckily, I was convincing) for her to even give me the info and steps to get the letter. Then I had to insure the car for a day, so I could get an insurance id card, because you have to have proof of insurance within the last 30 days to get the recall letter. Also, luckily my registration is still valid, because you need that, too.

So, for all you future "US to Canada" car sellers, save yourself the hassle by getting this recall letter first priority.

American Honda Ph 800-999-1009
Fax 310-783-3785

Just FYI,
Dave

Yep it a real PITA to get this letter, (I had to wait for a month for my letter)and most people don't know about it untill they call Honda US....Then they get the bad News.

A warning to guys buying Cars on Ebay or Auctions as well.

Bram

ffffanman said:
tRev

Screw crushing the car, where can I get a high res copy of that girl... OMG???

ffffanman said:
attachment.php
Is that another photo of your daughter? ;)

Back