• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Security System quesiton

My NSX (2001) has the stock security system plus an add on (Audiovox) keyless entry system. Lately when I unlock the system with the button on my security fob the alarm will sometimes go on. When this happens the headlights pop up and the system sounds the alarm. The unit has a panic button but it requires that you hold the key for several seconds. Anyone have a similar problem? I am wondering if it is the factory module that is acting up, rather than the audiovox system.
Manny

Last edited:
My 1995 is wired with both an aftermarket security system and the factory system as well. If I lock the car with my key it turns on the factory alarm. Then if I click the button on the aftermarket alarm, it also turns that on (two alarms are activated).

Now if I unlock the car using the alarm first, the doorlocks come up and the factory alarm is set off (because the factory alarm assumes someone is tampering with the doorlocks).
To prevent that from happening, you have to first unlock the car with your key, then unlock it with the aftermarket alarm remote (doing it the reverse order will set off the factory alarm).

Not sure if this is what's happening, but the sequence of events is very important with the way the alarm is wired on my car.

Unfortuniately that is not how this system works. It is integrated with the factory system. So I only have to use my key and press a button to lock and arm the car. I can disarm the car by pressing the the unlock button on the key. It has worked since new. Now, not everytime but enough of the time the key button will unlock the car and the factory alarm goes on. I guess the unit is not surpressing the fact that the door button and lock are unlocked. Then the signal that the door has been unlocked without a key is sent to the factory alarm system. This is my problem. I don't know if it is in the factory system or the add on system from Audiovox.
Manny

So you never, ever lock the car with your Key (by sticking it into the door)? Correct?

Yes, that is correct-I do not have to use the key in the door cylinder at all. The button does all the work, when it works.
Manny

drmanny3,

It sounds to me like the alarm is being armed and by virtue of your keyfob unlocking, the alarm goes off.

So, I assume that you are locking your car using the key to arm the OEM alarm. If that's the case, then what needs to happen is an alarm installer needs to make sure that the OEM alarm gets disarmed when the transmitter button unlocks the car. There's a number of ways to do this. But the thing that needs to happen is that the key sense wire on the alarm brain needs to be grounded at the time the car is unlocked.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't happen if you lock the car using the transmitter because the alarm shouldn't arm in this case. Unless the keyless is wired so that the alarm is armed from the transmitter of course...

I noticed the other day that when I use my key fob to unarm the car that if it works ok then the door button goes into the up position so you can proceed to open the door. However, if instead of unarming the system the alarm goes on I noticed that the door button remained in the closed position. The only way to stop the alarm is to put the key in and and unlock the door then the alarm stops. So for some reason sometimes the unarm command does not result in the door button going to the up position. So the question is then where do I look. Is it a bad connection at the door button control inside the door, or is it that the security system is not always sending a signal to open the door?
Manny

I reviewed the installation instructions and noticed on the security box that there was a connection that goes directly to the locking and unlocking mechanism in the door. So I thought I would check to make sure that there were no problems in the hookup. I had to pull the glove box and then reach all the back above the sub to pull out the unit. It was attached using Velcro so it took a bit of leverage to break it free. I checked all the connections and they seemed OK. I undid the locking/unlocking connector and using some of my magic corrosion preventative paste wet the contacts then put it on then disconnected it several times to make sure there was good contact. I then tried locking the car with the fob and then waiting for it to arm. I then disarmed the car with the fob and it did not trigger the alarm. I have done this now about 5 times without starting the alarm. So perhaps the resistance had increased to a point where sometimes the door button would open and sometimes it would not upon disarming the system. I was going to pull the door cover off and take a look at those connections to see if they had increased in resistance. So lets hope I have fixed the system.
Manny

Everything seemed to work well for a while then I found that the alarm would not beep when armed or disarmed. So again I took out the glove box and this time pulled out all the connectors to the alarm unit and used the magic paste. Now it all works really well. I must assume that it gets a bit warm back there and perhaps moist as well. So it was always a connection issue.
Manny

1993 acura nsx "security"

MY 1993 NSX HAS A "SECURITY BUTTON ON THE DRIVER DOOR NEXT TO THE BUTTON. I HAVE NOT USED IT. THE KEY- DOOR/IGNITION IS FACTORY. I DO NOT HAVE A "REMOTE". MY QUESTION IS HOW TO ARM/DISARM THE ALARM. NEWER VEHICLES HAVE MICROCHIP READ BY COMPUTER. DOES THE STANDARD "NON-SMART KEY ALLOW USING THE ALARM? OR DOES THE KEY NEED TO BE "READ" TO ACTIVATE THE ALARM.? REPLY TO ROBERT E-MAIL: [email protected] PLEASE REFERENCE "NSX PRIME" IN SUBJECT SO I MAY OPEN THE E-MAIL. .

LASTLY, CRUTCHFIELD HAS AN AFTERMARKET TOUVHSCREEN SYSTEM MEASURING 7" W x 4" H. WHILE NOT RECOMMENDED, HAS ANYONE BEEN SUCESSFUL AT A "RETRO-FIT"

8/26/2020

Back