• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX service maintenance in SF/San Jose area

I used automedics.com in San Mateo recently and had a really good experience. My vtec solenoids were leaking and they fixed it for under $250. They also changed my transmission fluid and replaced the upper windshield molding (common NSX molding shrinkage problem) for a very good price. They didn't do the molding work themselves, but they called a glass guy to come in and take care of it so I didn' t have to hassle with another vendor.

Having lived in San Mateo my whole life, this shop has been there for over 20 years as Honda Medics, specializing in Acuras and Hondas. But then Honda made them change their name. Good guys.

Having lived in San Mateo my whole life, this shop has been there for over 20 years as Honda Medics, specializing in Acuras and Hondas. But then Honda made them change their name. Good guys.

I use them exclusively for my Integra and RSX, and had them do the initial inspection on my NSX before I bought it. They're a good team, but I don't think they see as many NSXen as Don does, so I take the big car to him.

Hilltop is a ripoff. Went to get an estimate there and I saw his mechanics working on the NSX. In the end its just a Honda and anyone mechanically skilled can work on the NSX

Hilltop is a ripoff. Went to get an estimate there and I saw his mechanics working on the NSX.
I've had my cars at shops where the owner has employees who do a lot of the wrenching, but he's keeping an eye on everything and dealing with any problems that arise. He knows he's the one responsible for the quality of the work.

In the end its just a Honda and anyone mechanically skilled can work on the NSX
Although that statement is technically true, I don't agree with the sentiment. Yes, any competent mechanic can change the brakes or the tires or the fluids on the NSX. But when it comes to really complicated work, like a timing belt replacement or diagnosing a strange problem, I want someone working on the NSX who has done that work before and knows all the "shortcuts" and "gotchas", who knows all the pluses and minuses of doing it one way vs another, who has seen common problems and knows how to fix them as well as what problems to look for, etc. There's a huge difference between someone who has done the work a lot of times, and someone who has to figure out how to do it because he's never seen it before. Again, some of the work on the car is very routine, but a lot of it is not. On many jobs, mechanics with a lot of NSX experience are worth seeking out and, if necessary, paying more for.

Hilltop is a ripoff. Went to get an estimate there and I saw his mechanics working on the NSX.

I don't understand this statement at all. Don has better prices than most any other competent NSX garage in the area. He knows the NSX inside and out, so to speak, and oversees much of the work on the cars. How that is a "rip off", I don't understand.

Don is the person who personally test drives my car after having it serviced and he hires competent mechanics to do the "meat and potatoes" of the wrenching.

Did you really expect him, the shop owner, to personally do all the work on every NSX that comes to him?

Hilltop is a ripoff. Went to get an estimate there and I saw his mechanics working on the NSX. In the end its just a Honda and anyone mechanically skilled can work on the NSX

Holy non sequitur, Batman! Your last sentence completely contradicts your own premise.

Back