• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to Z06, A Long Comparison

Sorry for being completely off topic...but iceman...do you have any sound clips of your car? Everytime I see it in your avatar I just wish I could hear it :biggrin:

The guy I bought it from has this up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaRAQEwTPZg

C6 Z06's have baffles in the rear of the exhaust that open at 3.5K rpm. A popular mod, which I have done, is to hook those baffles up to a switch to be able to open and close them at will. That video above has the baffles open. With them closed it is not quite as loud :wink: I will see if I can get a better video uploaded this weekend.

Last edited:
The 458 interior (and exterior) are works of art. The exterior is expected of Ferrari but I was blown away by the interior. I can't comment on it from a functionality standpoint as I haven't driven it, lived in it, or anything. I hope to one day.

I am very surpised you consider the LF-A interior a benchmark. I find it ugly and over the top. Not to mention, what the hell is that shelf to the left of the steering wheel? The brushed aluminum knob the the left of the instrument cluster looks like an afterthought, both in shape and in the fact it appears to block a vent and get in the way of how you would presumably close the vent. I think the sloped center console would also interfere with being able to comfortably rest your arm on it.

There are no knocks against the NSX's interior design in terms of the general appearance. The reason I rated the Z06 better overall was because the Z06 was more functional and had the modern amenities that the NSX did not.

C6 Z06's have baffles in the rear of the exhaust that open at 4K rpm under WOT. A popular mod, which I have done, is to hook those baffles up to a switch to be able to open and close them at will. That video above has the baffles open. With them closed it is not quite as loud :wink: I will see if I can get a better video uploaded this weekend.

Not to be a nit, but the valves open at 3500 RPM regardless of how much throttle is applied (i.e. you don't need to be WOT), at least on my '08. In addition to the V8 sound, I think the slightly boomy rumble that comes from the exhaust when the valves close again is also very cool. It would be nice to get a sound clip of that.

C6 Z06's have baffles in the rear of the exhaust that open at 4K rpm under WOT. A popular mod, which I have done, is to hook those baffles up to a switch to be able to open and close them at will. That video above has the baffles open. With them closed it is not quite as loud :wink: I will see if I can get a better video uploaded this weekend.

Thanks! Sounds great! Has a nice intimidation factor to it :)

Not to be a nit, but the valves open at 3500 RPM regardless of how much throttle is applied (i.e. you don't need to be WOT), at least on my '08.

Fixed it in the previous post, thanks.

This is the most fitting thread title ever. :rolleyes:

This is the mosting fitting picture ever :D

NSXLANTERN-1.jpg

Last edited:
The 458 interior (and exterior) are works of art. The exterior is expected of Ferrari but I was blown away by the interior. I can't comment on it from a functionality standpoint as I haven't driven it, lived in it, or anything. I hope to one day.

I am very surpised you consider the LF-A interior a benchmark. I find it ugly and over the top. Not to mention, what the hell is that shelf to the left of the steering wheel? The brushed aluminum knob the the left of the instrument cluster looks like an afterthought, both in shape and in the fact it appears to block a vent and get in the way of how you would presumably close the vent. I think the sloped center console would also interfere with being able to comfortably rest your arm on it.

There are no knocks against the NSX's interior design in terms of the general appearance. The reason I rated the Z06 better overall was because the Z06 was more functional and had the modern amenities that the NSX did not.

The biggest issues I've seen/heard for the 458 are the steering wheel buttons and LCD display. The LCD display could easily be fixed as it's a software issue. Other than that, let's face it. As far as function goes, every car is the same. You have a seat, a steering wheel, dash, center console with the electronics, etc. These are the standard components every car has and need to drive from point A to B. How you layout these components will affect comfort and style. Extra little storage space and cupholders are not components needed in a daily driven car. They are trivia options. This is not an SUV or sedan that is meant to lug extra passengers/tools/equipment. We are talking about personal sports car that can be driven to work, school, etc daily, becuase 90% of that time you are ALONE in your car with minimal equipment such as a briefcase, backpack, groceries, etc. The NSX layout is comfortable AND stylish. I have no issues getting groceries or commuting to school or work in it. There are some up here that daily drive their NSX without hesitation. I have driven 5-6 hours at a time without issue in the NSX. I have not done so with the Corvette, but I was not comfortable in my brief time in the cockpit for the Vette. It felt a bit more brutal, but this could have been just me trying to adjust to a new layout.

Either way, I did not find the comfort better the NSX and definitely not more sophisticated. I came from a 90s 300ZXTT and the interior on that car is a bit roomier and has the fancier electronics, but the NSX has it beat as far as quality and design. The first time I sat in a NSX, right away I felt the 300ZX is equal in comfort even though the 300ZX is roomier and has more adjustment options to the seat and extra little tidbits. Both seats from these Japanese cars are well designed and so it felt as if they are akin. I'm not all that impressed with any Chevy designed seat as of yet, both looks and comfort. A cupholder and extra storage space equals better interior? cause that is all you could say in your review as far as interior.

As far as the LFA, as a whole, it is definitely not worth the asking price. I think the $35K TL sedan interior looks a better than the $400K 9 year developed interior. I brought the LFA up as an example of a nice interior example from Lexus as they are also touching on that cutting edge design language, and the idea of a full LCD speedo. I think this idea will catch on and we shall see many new cars with these LCD speedos eventually. Then people will start realizing all kinds of personal skins, apps, software upgrades for the LCD speedo and such. Kind of like what is happening to Android for phones. It's just a guess, but I think if future cars do this, it may be quite interesting. Also possible ideas of retrofitting older cars with LCD speedo to upgrade things nicely. Hint, hint, a nice NSX mod lol.

Anyways, I think most of Lexus interiors look just like another Toyota interior with better materials. People always uptalk Lexus quality, but I think it's just the brand talking and the actual substance falls short. Toyota is definitely not known for making many beautiful/sophisticated work (inside or out), and are more on the lines of over-engineering(as in all of these amenities that could end up being more silly than serious) and "practical"(great function but lacking form) things. I'm sure your type of thinking could appreciate this since you seem to believe in minor extra gadgets, material over form, and functions like extra holes, cupholders and armrest space makes it that much better? Lol

C6 Z06's have baffles in the rear of the exhaust that open at 3.5K rpm. A popular mod, which I have done, is to hook those baffles up to a switch to be able to open and close them at will. That video above has the baffles open. With them closed it is not quite as loud :wink: I will see if I can get a better video uploaded this weekend.

Disappointed! I don't wanna hear it at idle!

Noted, these aren't all Z06's...

I entered my NSX in a car show a couple weeks back. How many NSXs were there? One

How many Vette's.??? loads. Below is a little visual difference.
Granted there were some very beatiful vettes there... I wouldnt mind one, but between the two I chose the NSX.

I'm biased toward the NSX, personal taste and preference, but I do love Corvettes and the Z06 is an incredible performance car.

- Rod

Ps... sorry guys, my NSX took 2nd in the 76 & Newer Sports car classification, losing out to the 05' Lotus Elise. I was giving up 14 years (my 91) & he really presented the car well. He is a seasoned car show person. I'm a rookie & this was only my second show (I have lots to learn). In this show, it is the 05 Lotus 1st, my 91 NSX 2nd, and the 98 Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor 3rd.

My NSX did win 1st in a smaller show, 1980 - 1995 Stock classification in that one.

Attachments

• 100_2223.jpg
    100_2223.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_2226.jpg
    100_2226.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_2228.jpg
    100_2228.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2235.jpg
    100_2235.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_2281.jpg
    100_2281.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Noted, these aren't all Z06's...

I entered my NSX in a car show a couple weeks back. How many NSXs were there? One

How many Vette's.??? loads. Below is a little visual difference.
Granted there were some very beatiful vettes there... I wouldnt mind one, but between the two I chose the NSX.

How many C6 Z06's were there? C5 Z06's still weren't different enough from the base vette IMO. The C6 Z06 is a much rarer car than given credit for.

True, Z06's are more rare than the normal C5, etc.

It takes a car person, Corvette person to tell them apart in most cases.

Heck, I get people telling me I have a nice Corvette (91 NSX).

To be honest, I didn't spend allot of time looking over the Corvettes. I took a few shots, have some pictures of some very nice ones.

There were at least two Callaway Corvettes... very, very nice.

My step son has a good friend who owned the 2008 limited edition

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/14/2008-corvette-427-limited-edition-z06-big-engine-big-price-sm/

Extremely nice and SUPER FAST car. He purchased it new, then decided to sell it and move on.

Of course all this has pretty much been beaten like that dead horse posted earlier...

I would love to have a Z06, maybe a F car or two, Viper, 2011 Super Bird, Shelby Mustang, etc. I know if I were into pure performance, I would opt for the Z06. But for me and now, the NSX has plenty of performance. It handles great. But that is just my personal choice. Which is why I own an NSX and am on Prime.

If I go back to the original post, I feel it was a good fair accurate write up. The Z06 does come out on top in several areas. It is a newer car, and it is pretty well documented that Honda didn't keep up on the power plant side of the NSX as well as the competition.

I just thought I would add a visual.

This thread has certainly received lots of input... great descussions.

Peace :cool:

7 pages??? Every page has the same replies. Can we put this one to rest? :biggrin::cool::rolleyes::mad::eek::wink::frown::redface::tongue::smile:

I find it a testament to the NSX, basically a 1990 design, that it is being compared to a new generation "best supercar buy" Covette ZO6.

Watch for my NSX vs Ferrari 206 topic.
Gonna blindside that car.

Performance is the only category it trails by.....

So again, sheer performance is not enough to offset the fact that the Z06 is still built on an uneventful and unsophisticated interior layout/design. .

Ummmm..... this just seems ludicrous to me. The whole purpose of a sportscar is performance. If the Z06 had a park bench for a seat, a steering wheel from a rental car, a monkey for Nav and the heads up display was an etch a sketch, it would still be 10X better than an NSX.

:cool:

I asked a question in an earlier post on the last page that has not been answered, so I will ask it again:

If they made a base NSX, with say a 4 cylinder, smaller tires/brakes, no aluminum frame, etc, would you still drive your current model of the NSX? .

The thought of this makes me vomit in my mouth. Please don't speak it again. :frown:

Ummmm..... this just seems ludicrous to me. The whole purpose of a sportscar is performance. If the Z06 had a park bench for a seat, a steering wheel from a rental car, a monkey for Nav and the heads up display was an etch a sketch, it would still be 10X better than an NSX.

Then go buy a Z06? Lol.

I didn't know the term sport cars meant going fast solely and that's all that matters? This is 2010, not 1960. We can make cars that look good inside and out while maintaining sophistication and performance, not just a shell with race equipment and empty space. That's the different between a race car and a sports car buddy.

Back