• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Video findings

Another 1/4 mile vid I found showing that the NSX "needed more power". Lots of other stuff including all those cars listed below in a 5 lap battle (GT-R and GT3 starting in first/second).

TLDW:

NA2 NSX-R 12.80
NA1 S-Zero 12.93
GT-R Vspec II 12.94
NA2 NSX-S 13.33
NA1 NSX-R 13.38
Porsche GT3 13.79

1676484064812.png

In one of those Best Motoring vids, Gan San's son ripped a 12.74 or something in the S-Zero. That's the fastest 400m time I've ever seen for a stock NSX.

Yup that’s what it seems! I’ll have to see if I can confirm…
That was a pretty great vid. Lots of high praise for the R from all 3 of them, but also I think praise for the platform in general. Really makes me wish there wasn't 4" of fresh snow that just fell.

Crazy that DK went out the same day he drove one and picked one up.

don't forget we had a NE member with a rare NA2 coupe that pulled a 12.5 1/4 mile, he had drag racing experience Dswartz..

Did he imply that the '92 intake pulls more air than the '02 intake? Haven't heard that before.
The JDM NA2 cars used some kind of weird air pump contraption on the intake:
Screenshot 2023-02-16 185042.png

The NA1 R used the "regular" intake. This is probably what he means.
Screenshot 2023-02-16 185210.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-16 185210.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 185210.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 1
That was a pretty great vid. Lots of high praise for the R from all 3 of them, but also I think praise for the platform in general. Really makes me wish there wasn't 4" of fresh snow that just fell.

Crazy that DK went out the same day he drove one and picked one up.
I think DK might be getting another one based on his comments- you can tell he really misses his NSX.

The JDM NA2 cars used some kind of weird air pump contraption on the intake:
View attachment 177446

The NA1 R used the "regular" intake. This is probably what he means.
View attachment 177445
great video and I was wondering the same thing about the intake. What's the advantage of this "weird air pump" thingy? It appears to have less air filtration, and a controlled aux inlet with the vacuum actuated valve at item "8" in the diagram. Did they move the primary input at items 9/13 to a cooler location? Pipe #18 sure looks restrictive!

great video and I was wondering the same thing about the intake. What's the advantage of this "weird air pump" thingy? It appears to have less air filtration, and a controlled aux inlet with the vacuum actuated valve at item "8" in the diagram. Did they move the primary input at items 9/13 to a cooler location? Pipe #18 sure looks restrictive!
It attaches to the standard airbox/filter in the engine bay, so it's some sort of intake resonator. Even the NA2 NSX-R uses it...

Maybe @Kaz-kzukNA1 knows what it is? The US cars don't have it.

I wonder if the idea was to create more pressure vs. volume? I looked around for an article, or video and couldn't find anything.

I wonder if the idea was to create more pressure vs. volume? I looked around for an article, or video and couldn't find anything.
It may be some kind of CAI. There was a guy on Prime who engineered a CAI that drew air in from behind the rear wheel. The pipe arrangement was similar to the above. He claimed it gained +5 lb/ft of torque.

Based on the design, this part may be intended to do something similar. At low rpm, it draws from the long tube and then at high rpm, the vacuum valve opens the front scoop so it draws more air and the driver can hear a louder induction honk? It's not just a NSX-R part- all of the JDM 1997+ (NA1 and NA2) cars had it.

For those who like savagegeese on youtube, BOLO for a new video on the gen 1 NSX. They mentioned in a recent video that it would come out soon.

Back