• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs 996 TT

I know that this may be a little bit of a lopsided race but Paul has agreed to be my Guinea Pig and enter into a race with a Porsche 996TT. The details have not been ironed out but as soon as I get additional information, I will be sure to post it here.

In the meantime, in case people missed the results on the NSX vs Mustang race, it can be found on my site: http://drivn.blogspot.com/2008/08/and-winner-is.html

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

I know that this may be a little bit of a lopsided race but Paul has agreed to be my Guinea Pig and enter into a race with a Porsche 996TT. The details have not been ironed out but as soon as I get additional information, I will be sure to post it here.

In the meantime, in case people missed the results on the NSX vs Mustang race, it can be found on my site: http://drivn.blogspot.com/2008/08/and-winner-is.html

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

What year Nsx? I think unless your FI you'll pretty much be destroyed. In a straight line anyways.

Ps. Not that it really matters since the 996tt and gt3 are different but I ran against a 997 gt3 and got murdered. I have a 1991 with headers exhaust and just some other little things.
Stephen

Paul's NSX is also a 1991. This race is being setup not to discredit the accolades of the NSX but more so to show what a good driver can do. I'm in the process of making arrangements for the two cars to meet up, again at the Great Lakes Dragway. I will continue to update within this thread and post the video on DrivN once the race has "gone down".

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

996 TT have big advantage not only hp but torque.

This is pretty much lopsided race.....twin turbo a 400hp+ car versus a NA 270HP car is not going to be a race.

I say the one department that the NSX can be equal with is the handling department.

Do a 400hp turbo nsx versus the 996TT and then it would be a fair match.

400hp vs 400hp = a closer to a fair race even though u have one turbo versus two.

400hp vs 400hp = a closer to a fair race even though u have one turbo versus two.

One versus two turbos is relatively meaningless in terms of performance of two v6 cars. In fact, a large single turbo could be an advantage over a twin turbo setup.

I don't really see the logic of racing an AWD turbo car (especially a 996TT) against a NA NSX that's giving up over 100 hp and traction advantages unless you're bracket racing.

Paul's NSX is also a 1991. This race is being setup not to discredit the accolades of the NSX but more so to show what a good driver can do. I'm in the process of making arrangements for the two cars to meet up, again at the Great Lakes Dragway. I will continue to update within this thread and post the video on DrivN once the race has "gone down".

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

I am not a good driver, but if I have a 996TT and I can kick some a$$ against any good driver of NA NSX! This race is unjust.

Last edited:
Like some of you have suggested, a 400HP NSX would make for a better race but as of yet, no one in the Midwest has stepped up to the challenge. Paul91, being the good sport, has decided to take on the challenge just to see how "close" he can get it. I for one will probably try my luck against the 996TT just to watch it blow past me! You can't deny performance with the Porsche and it isn't every day you get to see one of these on the track (even though they are more common than the NSX).

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

Someone with a lovefab setup or factor x setup should step up to this porsche.

Try asking Woody. He's in chicago with a 600hp lovefab kit. Should be able to take the 996. What is the weight, tq, 0-60, 1/4 times for the 996, anyone? If I ever get my car back from the body shop I'd maybe come out and play around. I've got a BBSC making between 350-380whp. Unless that thing is real heavy I don't think I've got enough to take him. I'm sure its got a bunch more torque than me too.

a turbo 996 is around 3500 lbs, 1/4 mile time is in the mid to low 12's and the trap speed is anywhere from 112-115mph stock.

a 600whp nsx would decimate it since it that should be a 130+ mph car in the 1/4.

LOL -thread
One versus two turbos is relatively meaningless in terms of performance of two v6 cars. In fact, a large single turbo could be an advantage over a twin turbo setup.

I don't really see the logic of racing an AWD turbo car (especially a 996TT) against a NA NSX that's giving up over 100 hp and traction advantages unless you're bracket racing.
Porsche = Flat-6 :)

I track my car often and instruct for 3 PCA clubs in the area. I can tell you and even show you video of me coming out of a turn on to the straight behind a 996TT, and I mean with my nose right up against him, and it just pulls away down the straight. I overlayed his track datalog against mine - at Putnam park I hit 123mph before braking and he hits 134mph and he brakes earlier than I do.

A GT3 will do the same and a C6, and Z06. Face it, the NSX is extreamly underpowered. I can stay up with these cars and even pass them around the track, but get hammered on the straights.

A fair fight against a NSX would be a Porsche C2 or C4. I have a PCA friend and instructor with a 996 C4S and I can lap right behind him or him behind me the whole way around the track. But I think his 996 C4S is slightly faster, I'm just a better driver. ;)

2002 C4S - 320 bhp @ 6800 rpm / 273 ft lbs @ 4250 rpm - 3234 lbs <--- Good match to race an NSX!

Here is a HD video of Jim getting whooped by a C6 down the straight at Putnam.
http://www.vimeo.com/1649901

Cody, please help!!!

A 996TT against an NSX - you guys are just plain silly (or delusional).

Last edited:
Have both and even with the mods on my NSX the Porshe is quicker/faster.......but the NSX is cooler!

I track my car often and instruct for 3 PCA clubs in the area. I can tell you and even show you video of me coming out of a turn on to the straight behind a 996TT, and I mean with my nose right up against him, and it just pulls away down the straight. I overlayed his track datalog against mine - at Putnam park I hit 123mph before braking and he hits 134mph and he brakes earlier than I do.

A GT3 will do the same and a C6, and Z06. Face it, the NSX is extreamly underpowered. I can stay up with these cars and even pass them around the track, but get hammered on the straights.

A fair fight against a NSX would be a Porsche C2 or C4. I have a PCA friend and instructor with a 996 C4S and I can lap right behind him or him behind me the whole way around the track. But I think his 996 C4S is slightly faster, I'm just a better driver. ;)

002 C4S - 320 bhp @ 6800 rpm / 273 ft lbs @ 4250 rpm - 3234 lbs <--- Good match to race an NSX!

Here is a HD video of Jim getting whooped by a C6 down the straight at Putnam.
http://www.vimeo.com/1649901

Cody, please help!!!

A 996TT against an NSX - you guys are just plain silly (or delusional).

LOL, exactly the reason I saw 996TT in disgust. Most of those drivers refused to point by and at next corner, they brake early and slow way down, forcing me giving up all the momentum the little nsx had at the corner entry, once they past apex..... THEY ARE GONE...

I really don't see the point of drag racing a 996tt. I guessed this is just for having fun.

Last edited:
Since it's pretty clear that my car doesn't stand a chance against the 996TT, do we have anyone who is modded that wants to step in? A CTSC or BBSC would fare well here. Any turbo apps might do really well.

Again, it looks like Drivn will take care of the track fee, which is about $35-45.
http://drivn.blogspot.com/2008/09/porsche-996tt-vs-acura-nsx.html

Andy- When are you getting your car back from S.A.B?

most of us are not professional drivers. also, we using our own cars on the racetrack. so i will say that safety first, then u enjoy it and have fun. good luck.

Not a chance for the NSX with this one...seems like a waste of time to me.

Not a chance for the NSX with this one...seems like a waste of time to me.

Uh...yeah...that's why I'm seeing if any FI cars would be interested. There are several cars/owners on this forum that would kill a mid 12 sec. 911TT in the 1/4.

Uh...yeah...that's why I'm seeing if any FI cars would be interested. There are several cars/owners on this forum that would kill a mid 12 sec. 911TT in the 1/4.

Sounds like a good idea to me.:smile:

Back