• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs AMG GTC Coupe

A friend of mine picked up a 2018 MB AMG GTC Coupe this past week and he was so excited to show me the car, as the only other sports car he has owned was a 2016 Corvette.

After spending the day driving the car, and then driving my NSX afterwards, I started thinking of a comparison between the 2.

I never thought to compare these 2 because they were in a different price bracket, assumed the NSX was a level up, but with the discounts and Acura money available, the out the door price is almost identical. The GTC Coupe listed for $156,000 and he received a $5k discount. FYI, the GTC is the wide body version of the MB with 550 hp and rear wheel steering.

Comfort- The AMG GTC feels like a much bigger car because the length of the hood and how far back you sit by the rear axle. Definitely has more leg room and more width between the pedals. The design gives the impression of width and is beautifully put together. The seats in the NSX are substantially more comfortable, much softer feel, better support. Headroom is very similar in both cars. Neither car has easy ingress or egress, especially the MB because you have to clear the sidesill and drop down into the seat, which sucks. The Acura is a bit easier.

Tech- the safety tech in the MB is more advanced. There is blind spot and lane keeping assistance, plus MB engineering for safety. The infotainment is so much better with the MB (Burmeister stereo, COMMAND). Also, the ability to customize the driving dynamics with Individual Mode is a nice feature that I wish Acura allowed.

Noise- I happen to love the sound and exhaust note of my NSX when you get on it. The car sounds refined, expensive, and just loud enough. The MB with Performance Exhaust sounds great for a few minutes and then becomes overwhelming and obnoxious, always trying to put on a show. There is no break, even with exhaust deactivated. Muscle car sound and more like a Vette than an exotic or supercar.

Appearance- as this is completely subjective, I love the looks of both cars and they are 2 of the best looking cars on the market.

Engine/Drivetrain- The Acura just comes across as so much smoother and more refined, no lag, warp speed acceleration, amazing gearbox, special. The MB is not as refined, I don't care what anyone says. The acceleration is noticeably a step behind the NSX, also traction limited, and the transmission is not nearly as smooth or as quick shifting.

Handling- The Acura, with the Hybrid AWD and true torque vectoring, is much more exotic and much more planted. The shock and damper tuning in the NSX is so well sorted and comfortable over most roads and conditions. The MB is stiff, really stiff, in all modes. When pushing the car and applying throttle, traction becomes a struggle. GTC has rear wheel steering which makes the GTC feel smaller and very quick at changing direction, but the NSX inspires more confidence at all speeds.

Overall, the NSX is the better sports car and is the better daily driver, although the creature comforts and slight increase in interior room and storage of the MB close the gap a bit.

Glad i'm part of the NSX family of owners.

Cool, good to hear, people still prefer the 911 Turbo S, R8 + and the McLaren 570S those ~ $200K ish cars over the NSX, (which is a great car.) And similar story to the AMG GT series, sexy, unique, stunning interior, decent for ~ $150K, but still don't sell that many, thus huge discount from MB as well as the NSX.

The NSX suppose to be at the GTR level, but I guess with the incentive, quite parallel to the $150K GTC .. ( GTS and base GT anymore?)

As a guy, I love the look of both GTC and NSX, but somehow, women don't like the GT, on the other hand, every lady I talked to, they love the look of the new NSX !

At the end of the day, the AMG GTs come in too many models, GT, GT cab GTS, GTC, GTC cab, GTR, Black ...... and NSX ... is NSX...

Back