• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs NSX 2002: Opinions???

What do people (honestly) think of the new NSX coming out in 2002? And how does it rate against the first generation NSX?

Does it create a new sports car experience like the first NSX?
Or just copying a Ferrari 360/F50 look?

i guess coz it's an NSX there will be a bit of bias, (hey, me suffer this too) but try to take that into consideration.
[be honest without flaming, of course
wink.gif
]

------------------
If the Matrix is real, an NSX is just the figment of your imagination. Damn.

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 02 October 2001).]

By all reports, the NSX coming in 2002 will be mechanically identical to the current NSX. There will be some slight modifications to the front and rear styling - which, until we see REAL photos (not just those from someone's imagination), there's no way yet to evaluate.

Bottom line, though, is, it's going to be basically the same car. And this is still the first-generation NSX. Look for the second-generation NSX in another couple of years.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 October 2001).]

How soon until we see pics of the real car? I thought it was an october release?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

FYI....The most recent sketches of the red car came from Honda. They did not come from some artist who was guessing.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/images/200109-pm-a.jpg
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/images/200109-pm-b.jpg

I think these are pretty close to what we'll see in the near future.

I noticed in the rear view sketch that there seems to be an elliptical lens or something at the outer ends of the tailights. I don't know if this is artistic license, a rendition of a reflection or an actual design change in the rear tailights.

I'm glad that the big wing is nowhere to be seen in the official Honda sketches.

-Jim

PS: It might be that the Imola Orange might be reason enough alone to buy a new NSX.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I noticed in the rear view sketch that there seems to be an elliptical lens or something at the outer ends of the tailights. I don't know if this is artistic license, a rendition of a reflection or an actual design change in the rear tailights.

My guess is that this is a design change. It appears that they've left the configuration of the housing the same, but changed it to a combination (lens within a housing) such as appears on so many new vehicles these days (such as the Lexus RX300, just to cite one example). This makes sense - it allows for a design change to the taillights with minimal impact on other body parts.

I'm glad that the big wing is nowhere to be seen in the official Honda sketches.

Absolutely!

I don't think I will feel the need to buy a newer model for the updated look. I have no doubt that kits will be available soon afterward that update the look of the car.
This is near identical to what went down with the C4 Corvettes.
Up until 1992, the C4s had a flat nose and rear. Afterward, they were updated to the rounded bumper and nose (ZR1 style). Obviously, factory kits became available soon after to replace the older style nose and rear with the new bumpers. I expect these new front and rear changes to be bolt ons and become available to the rest of us soon in one form or another.
I can see it costing a bit more with the change in headlights. The new model will be released. We will see what they did. Then factory parts can be purchased to update the styling for those that want to.
I would be very surprised if this did not happen.
In fact, I'm excited because I can pick and choose what I like. If the new front bumper looks great, I can update that part of the car. If it has an ugly rear wing, I'll just pass and do the front.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 02 October 2001).]

For what it's worth, I'll withhold judgement until I see actual photographs -- sketches and mockups of cars, to me, tend to always be exagerated to the point that I've seen very few I've cared for.

There have been many sports cars in the past decade that have, IMHO, looked horrible in the sketches, but looked significantly better in photographs, and then even looked better in person.

I've no idea why it's apparently 'in' for concept art to be so stylized to the point where it doesn't look much like the real car, but hey, that's art
smile.gif

-Brad

Originally posted by Z18:
I've no idea why it's apparently 'in' for concept art to be so stylized to the point where it doesn't look much like the real car, but hey, that's art
smile.gif
-Brad

Ever seen a women's fashion show? It's all about grabbing headlines and generating talk. But I'm with you, show me the real thing.

Those drawings very much reflect "Artistic lisence." The only part on the front that will change (unless they have suddenly decided to retool the entire body) is the front from the hood line down and the lights. Take another look at the drawing, does your car look like that from that same perspective? Artist versions of any sports car always look better, they lower the car, make the wheels bigger, put it in an aggressive stance. The car on the above web link looks more like a Ferreri than an NSX!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Bottom line, though, is, it's going to be basically the same car. And this is still the first-generation NSX. Look for the second-generation NSX in another couple of years.

Actually, this will be more like "NSX Version 1.5".

EDR

Tom,

Granted the Honda pics are somewhat stylized, but you can get a good idea where the changes will be. I think the rear end drawing is fairly close to reality.

It does seems like the hood and the entire front plastic nose will be retooled.

It also looks like the rear tailights are going to change, perhaps with a new lens assembly. Since the front is going to the ovoid exposed headlights ala the RSX, I suppose it makes sense for Honda to try and maintain the same design theme in rear.

I also speculate that Honda will introduce a new wheel design for this car (and they will be highly sought after by those of us who own pre-2002 cars) and might change some the grille work on the sides and the top rear.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Honda gussied up the disc brake calipers with some red coating.

-Jim

------------------

Those 2 drawings are drawn by Honda? I could've sworn they were drawn by Popular Mechanics...I don't think there is any mention in the PM magazine about the drawings originating from Honda. I would go and check right now but my connection is acting kind of funny.

I have to say though; even if the drawings aren't from Honda they look the most practical and realistic, not to mention best looking, of the concept sketches I've seen so far.

Actually, this will be more like "NSX Version 1.5".

If anything is NSX Version 1.5, it's the '97, which included a huge number of substantial drivetrain upgrades.

Changing headlights and taillights hardly qualifies as a version change IMHO.

In a few months, we'll all know for sure.

So it looks like the 2002 model will be NSX V1.5.1...
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------

Originally posted by skim83:
Those 2 drawings are drawn by Honda? I could've sworn they were drawn by Popular Mechanics...I don't think there is any mention in the PM magazine about the drawings originating from Honda. I would go and check right now but my connection is acting kind of funny.

I have to say though; even if the drawings aren't from Honda they look the most practical and realistic, not to mention best looking, of the concept sketches I've seen so far.

They are indeed from Honda.

They are posted on their official news site.

See http://www.hondanews.com or http://www.acuranews.com

wow... this was my first post, and it's already a hot thread. =)

I predict the next NSX will look something like the latest model Prelude.

I say this because back in the early 1990's, the Prelude came out along with the NSX and they looked incredibly similiar. (I've always thought of an NSX as a AUS$200,000 Prelude, and a Prelude as a 'poor mans NSX' =)

Hopefully we get the style of the latest prelude, with the curves and 'beauty' of an NSX....

I'm drooling already...
wink.gif

------------------

Those sketches were done by artists who were trying to guess how the next NSX would look.

The way it works is this...

First the car companies (including Honda) talk to people in the media and they verbally describe what the next car might look like. Based on these words, the artists go to work on speculative sketches.

It's good business for the car magazines and web sites, and the car companies get a chance to stir the rumor mill and build excitement without really having released anything concrete.

Then, the car companies release a more final sketch. This is penned by the car manufacturer and more closely details what's coming. This is what Honda recently released with those two red sketches. These are more important because they are generally more accurate.

Of course, the final step is to release the actual photos of the car and that is what we're currently waiting on.

Jim

------------------

thanx Jimbo.
i didn't realize artists would manipulate photos of existing cars to create an "artists conception". I always associated that with drawing. I guess in this technology-age it is possible to hack the appearances of existing NSX's. (does this mean i can make the nsx look like a monster truck? cool!)
wink.gif

------------------

Back