• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX VS RX-7

My friend has a 93 RX-7 (5spd) and I have a 91 (auto) NSX. He keeps telling me don't even think about cause I am going to embarass myself. He has exhaust, intake, and headers. All I have now is an intake. I plan to upgrade in the future. He claims to have walked down Vipers! I need fellow NSX owners out there to help me out. Does anyone know if the NSX can beat an RX-7 in the 1/4 mile? With the NSX and all its upgrades and a RX-7 with all its upgrades (+ turbos), will I have a chance? Is it possible or do I need to follow the old saying, "IF YOU CAN'T HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS, THEN STAY ON THE PORCH!"?

u'll hang with him but you won't beat him
smile.gif
Any turbo car is pretty easy to up the power with simple increase of boost... thou in the rx-7 u'll have to be careful....if u want to beat him then use nos or get a supercharger...dunno how well ur auto tranny will react to that
smile.gif
Or...if u really want the nsx has a higher topspeed...

But since u own a nsx you should know that the nsx was not meant for 1/4 mile races
smile.gif

hey hey,
I agree with Tetsuo. You won't be likely to beat your friend's RX7. When his twin turbos kick in, it is most likely that he will whizz right by you. But personally I think if you want, you should test him out on curves, not on a straight. Imho, it takes more skill to race the curves.

l8z

I have owned both a 93 RX-7 and two 91 NSXs. Do not race him; he will embarass you! The NSX will do 0-6 in 5.8 with a five speeed, the RX-7 will do it in 4.9, completely stock. Trust me on this, a full second is an eternity in 0-60 times. In terms of pure performance, my RX-7 was hard to beat.

My cousin has a Twin Turbo RX-7, and the car is fast everywhere, off the line and through tight corners it can walk away from an NSX, on fast sweepers I'd pick the NSX as well as on top end power. The only thing thats bad about the Mazda is that its a garage queen. Does anyone know what different gearing would do for an NSX off the line?

You're right Andrew. The RX& is really fast. They fast everywhere. In autocross and in the track. But they're shit when it comes to reliability. My friend gone thru 7 engine in one of them. The other friend have blown engine with no mods whatsoever and the car only have 28000 mi. Lucky it's still under warranty...

I guess I was lucky - my RX-7 never broke in two years and I drove it hard. Had a vaccum hose come lose once, but just put it back on. Iwas heavily modified with Petit and Peter Ferral parts; made about 360 hp at the crank.

They are really, really fast on a tight track. I don't know if there are many cars that can stay with one on tight curves. Several years ago (maybe 94?) one of the car mags had Danny Sullivan take an NSX, an RX-7 and a 930 to a track and run them all hard. The RX-7 buried the other two cars.

They are also very well balanced. It is one of the only cars I have every driven all-out on a track all day and not gone through a set of tires with. In comparison, my friends 3000GT would go through a set of street tires in 30 min. on the track. It was just so heavy and the suspension made the tires do way too much work. Exactly the opposite of the RX-7.

Don't look down on them. I have owned many, many cars and it (the Mazda) is one of the most balanced, most fun cars I have ever driven.

I guess I was lucky - my RX-7 never broke in two years and I drove it hard. Had a vaccum hose come lose once, but just put it back on. It was heavily modified with Petit and Peter Ferral (sp?) parts; made about 340-360 hp at the crank. Not bad for 70 cubic inches!

They are really, really fast on a tight track. I don't know if there are many cars that can stay with one on tight curves. Several years ago (maybe 94?) one of the car mags had Danny Sullivan take an NSX, an RX-7 and a 930 to a track and run them all hard. The RX-7 buried the other two cars.

They are also very well balanced. It is one of the only cars I have ever driven all-out on a track all day and not gone through a set of tires with. In comparison, my friends 3000GT would go through a set of street tires in 30 min. on the track. It was just so heavy and the suspension made the tires do way too much work. Exactly the opposite of the RX-7.

Don't look down on them. I have owned many, many cars and it (the Mazda) is one of the most balanced, most fun cars I have ever driven. It was built with a slightly different design philosophy, but I consider it to be every bit the equal of the NSX as a sports car.

If you are only talking about drag racing him, I think you better stay on the porch, but if you have your pick of roads, then the NSX can easily beat him. This weekend, I have a doctor friend with a heavily modified twin turbo 300ZX, and he has been dying to get a piece of me in the NSX. Well, needless to say, I picked a road with 2,000 ft of elevation change of 10 miles with 2 lanes going up for passing trucks. While his tubos kick in from time to time, he forgot to upgrade his brakes. Power is nothing without control! Also, the NSX is the best handling car in the world. So with the combination of crisp handling, Grand Prix caliber brakes and enough power to get out of my own way, I easily beat him to the top. But then again, I also beat him the last time I did that in my modified BMW 750iL V12.
smile.gif
I guess he will never learn.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

Gentlemen,
I talked to my friend and me says he has let Peter Ferral do the works on his car. I guess from what he says Peter Ferral is the "RX-7 GURU". I will try to see what I can do with him on some curvy roads on a later date. Who knows, maybe I can put him on the porch when it comes to curvy roads
smile.gif
! By the way guys, he has experienced coming out of his pocket alot just to keep his car on the road
frown.gif
! At one point, I did not think his car would ever make it out of the maintenance repair shop. I thought he was going to get fed up and sell it! Clutches, a new engine, oil leaks, it was always something. As Andrie Hartanto said, " they are @#@#$ when it comes to reliability." No pun intended out there for RX-7 owners.

G-man: You are right about power being nothing without control, but i'm not 100% sure that you are right that the NSX is the best handling car in the world. Imho it's a throw-up between 3 cars: Nissan Skyline GT-R, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, and of course, the Honda NSX.
I've always thought that the Supra handled extremely well(you can check all of its stuff in R&T,and Car & Driver), but the car itself is rather heavy. It can pull out good G's though.
The Skyline has always had great control due to it's AWD, and it was tested in an AWD shootout in R&T. Personally, i think a tuned Skyline could smoke both the Diablo and the Carrera 4. Too bad the car is damn hard to get.
I'm sure we all know that the NSX is a great handler. The Zanardi NSX came up 2nd in some R&T test.
But personally I would take the NSX out of all 3 cars.

l8z

Well, I was torn between a 3rd gen RX-7 and the 91 NSX that I just bought....

Having owned a 2nd generation RX-7 Turbo (modified to about 270hp from the stock 180) and having a ton of problems with it after about about 90K miles (most of which weren't directly due the the mods.. some might have been from the resulting power.. but the mods themselves didn't really kill it)... I ended up with the NSX ...

I have RM Racing Intake and cat-back exhaust on my NSX... they were a noticeable improvement...

I raced a stock 3rd gen RX-7 just the other day... from about 40-90 and was walking away quite nicely... although I do have a 5sp ... I'm not familiar with how the auto would do...

If he dropped the cats on that thing though...yep... you could expect about 320+HP from the thing.... I just hope he did something about fuel delivery... if that's not done right... it'll blow up even sooner than usual....

My modified 87 actually felt quicker than the NSX when I first got the NSX...it would wind up a lot faster in the lower gears... But RX-7s are a bitch to launch... They are NOT made for drag racing....

So while he may beat you in the 1/4 mile... take pleasure in knowing:
His car will self destruct long before yours
Your car looks a hell of a lot better
and most importantly..once you are past the 1/4 mile..or get into some turns or into any altitude (remember ... turbo charged cars become crippled at high elevation at a faster rate than normally aspirated cars) you're gonna have the upper hand

(although i do miss that extra 80 or so HP (at the wheel) for only $3000 or $4000)

I don't think a Supra handles nearly as well as an NSX. I am on the track with those things on a regular basis and smoke them in the turns every time. There are several 600-800hp Supras here that will run me on the highway or stop light to stop light, but when we pull off the highway to turn around at the underpass, they are fully sideways at speeds that are about 7/10s for me.

The RX-7s will eat up a stock NSX on a tight track, however.

David:
Then i'm not really too sure then. On a Supra web page, the guys said that they did better than the NSX drivers in corners, but you give a different opinion. In magazines, it shows that both cars handle very well, but the Supra pulled more G's. I guess it all depends on the driver then.

Attachments

• 3231.jpg
    3231.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Had owned both cars (Supra & NSX). I can say that the NSX handles better on turns. It's a quicker car on the track over all. I guess because of the weight of the Supra, they are not as nimble as the NSX. When in the corners, the Supra tend to brake loose when u push it really hard. as for the NSX it a lot easier to throttle steer.

True. Supras put up good numbers on skid pad tests, but I never have much trouble with them in turns. They are pretty heavy cars and work the suspension really hard to handle as well as they do. They chew up tires almost as fast as a 3000GT - another car that has good numbers on paper, but is not in the same league from the driver's seat.

Think about a C4 vs a 911. On paper they are almost identical (skid pad, acceleration, etc.), but one trip around the block and there is no comparison.

Gentlemen,
Do you think the new V-8/10 model proposed in 2002 will be the answer to destroy the RX-7, Supra, and Viper
biggrin.gif
! I guess we will have to wait to then till we put them on the porch for good?

Back