• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX2S2K - S2000 Instrument Cluster Conversion Kit

Get your kit at:

https://www.sjoebergdesign.com

To make it easier for everyone, all orders will be handled there from now on. This thread will be kept for continuous information updates and discussions concerning our S2000 cluster conversion kits.

Introduction:

It is with sincere joy I’m finally able to release a complete Plug & Play S2000 instrument cluster conversion kit for the NSX, the NSX2S2K Kit! The kit has been specifically developed for the NSX from the bottoms up with a purely bespoke design and selected components and is exclusively released on this excellent forum. No modifications or splicing of the NSX original wire harness required! No “pigtails” from the S2K donor car required! No “converters” required! Everything is included except for the S2K instrument cluster which must be sourced by the customer.

attachment.php

The kit is currently available for 91-94 year NSX models and is compatible with both 00-03 AP1 and 04-05 AP2 S2K clusters. The basic kit shown for the AP2 version:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The kit with an S2K cluster:
attachment.php
Each kit is hand built by myself, everything from soldering electronic components, programming of the controllers, 3D-printing of the encasings, splicing, crimping and assembly of the harness to quality control testing under a strict quality assurance protocol. Some key features:

• Automotive grade components in compliance with the strict AEC - Q101 or AEC - Q200 protocols to provide the top quality and endurance required by automotive applications
  • Reverse-voltage protected by design to guard against load dump conditions and reversed battery polarity
  • Made in USA - printed circuit boards (PCB’s) for reliability and consistency in quality
  • OEM connectors from Japan for a 100 % compatibility with your car and a Plug & Play solution
  • 3D-printed encasings specifically designed for the cluster housing environment in the NSX
  • Custom made wire harness using OEM connectors and crimps, the latter crimped using very expensive OEM crimping equipment. Includes “breakouts” of wires for optional voltage and oil pressure meters, everything is labeled
  • Simple speedometer calibration using supplied digital calibration device for precise speedometer readings. The calibration can be redone as many times as you wish. For instance you can find specific calibration factors for different set of wheels and gear ratios to keep your speedometer reading exact regardless of setup
  • World’s first fuel meter auto calibration feature, AutoFuel*, which is specifically developed for the unique design of the NSX fuel tank for an exact reading. Only available as an option for the 04-05 AP2 version. Manual calibration feature available for all applications
  • Optional trim plate** water jet cut for perfect fitting. Available in three different versions: 100 % prepreg 2x2 twill carbon fiber, powder coated matte black aluminium and unpainted aluminium. All with 3D-printed installation accessories for a perfect, seamless installation.
  • Optional odometer reprogramming service*** to exactly match the mileage of your NSX
  • Full functionality of all lights and meters (Rev. XP10/XP9 and onwards)
  • Each kit is individually tested with your/our S2K instrument cluster to ensure 100 % functionality and quality upon dispatch, all results are documented
  • Delivers in a professional, foam filled case to ensure a safe transportation to your destination
*Requires sending your S2K cluster to me for permanent modification of the electronic circuit
** Requires simple modification of the original gauge assembly surround and the S2K instrument cluster housing – available as a service but requires you to send your items to me
***Requires sending your S2K cluster to me for reprogramming

The prepreg carbon fiber trim plate:
attachment.php

The powder coated aluminium trim plate:
attachment.php

The unpainted aluminium trim plate:
attachment.php

Disclaimer:
Sjoeberg Design&Prototyping, it's owners and employees shall not be held liable for calibration errors or other misuse of this product that might result in damage to the user or others, i.e. unvoluntary speeding due to the aforementioned miscalibration. The user assumes all responsibility to ensure an adequate calibration and proper use of this product. The user assumes all responsibility regarding possible infringement of laws regulating odomoter alteration in his or her country and to supply Sjoeberg Design&Prototyping with valid documentation that supports the claimed original odometer reading.

The S2000 instrument cluster:

There are several editions available of the S2000 instrument cluster. My kit supports the following

• All USDM and JDM/EDM 2001-2003 AP1
  • All USDM (8000 rpm redline) and JDM/EDM (9000 rpm redline) 2004-2005 AP2
The difference between the cluster versions can be found online. Here's a JDM/EDM AP1:
attachment.php
And a USDM AP2:
attachment.php
Why swap to a S2000 instrument cluster in the NSX? The S2K cluster is a popular mod for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's Honda OEM and therefore of high quality. It's all digital design represents an attractive retro-futuristic look and it sports a high density of instrumentation. The latter means that it is small in size, lightweight and consists of no moving parts that can break. A high density of instrumentation is especially advantageous for sport car applications, as the driver will find all information conveniently situated in a small area in the instrument panel, thereby can spend less time finding relevant information during spirited driving. Turns out the S2K cluster is a perfect design for NSX's with smaller diameter steering wheels, such as the popular 330 mm diameter ones. No instrumentation gets clouded by the steering wheel, forcing the driver to move his or her head to see the instrumentation at interest. I'ts also less than half the weight of the heavy original NSX gauge assembly.

Mapping of the S2K ECT and fuel readings to the NSX below:

AP1 ECT:
attachment.php
attachment.php

AP2 ECT:
attachment.php
attachment.php

AP2 AutoFuel:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Want to customize the look of your S2000 instrument cluster? Check out http://www.qube-engineering.com/ for some cool LED conversions.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Note: Images are reproduced from Qube Engineering.

Got a scratchy cluster face plate on your used S2K cluster? No worries! Shiny new ones are available directly from Honda for about $50! Make your cluster look like completely new.

AP1 Discontinued! (Part number: 78170-S2A-E02):

attachment.php

AP2 (Part number: 78170-S2A-A01):

attachment.php

Installation instructions

Removal of the original gauge assembly:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3EFyjhdy73Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

NSX2S2K Installation Part 1 - electronics, calibration and testing:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NUqf9bkAZzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

NSX2S2K Installation Part 2 - Modification of NSX gauge assembly visor + Trim plate

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q52diZ0VNKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

NSX2S2K Installation Part 3 - Modification of S2K cluster housing

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pXWs3B69sXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Detailed calibration procedures

Speedometer calibration

You will need a reference speedometer, like a smartphone with a GPS. Remember that the calibration will only be as accurate as your reference meter so the ideal case would be a calibrated rolling road device or similar, however I consider that to be overkill for this purpose. If you are doing the speedo calibration using a cell phone or any other GPS unit, have a friend in the car that can help you out with taking notes. That way you can focus on your driving and keeping the car at a constant speed. Try to take the readings at "higher" speeds, it will be more accurate. Small errors may not be detected when going "slow".

The factory setting (3900) should give an accuracy within about 20%. To calculate a new setting based on your readings, use this formula:

attachment.php

Example: say you have a "true" speed as indicated by your GPS unit of 50 mph, but your speedometer is saying 55 mph and your current calibration factor is 3900. Divide 50 by 55 and multiply the result with 3900. The new calibration factor would then be 3545. Go out for a test run to confirm, redo if not within acceptable accuracy. The allowed range of settings is 3000-9999.

Manual fuel calibration (Model 14a only)

For the manual fuel calibration, compare your reading in the S2K instrument cluster with the one in your original one. Procedure: Turn ignition on and note the fuel reading. Turn ignition off and turn the calibration knob clockwise if you need to increase your reading, and counter-clockwise to reduce your reading. (Important to turn the ignition off, the result of your adjustment won't be immediately shown if the instrument cluster is powered, the fuel meter is purposefully very slow as you don't want it to bounce around when your fuel is splashing around in your fuel tank). Turn the ignition on again. The fuel meter adjusts it's reading immediately. Repeat until you have a satisfactory result. Note: Make only small adjustments first so not to overshoot the target, it can be very sensitive. And also don't do the calibration with a completely empty or completely full tank. You might risk under- and overshooting the target without knowing it. I would say somewhere between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank would be optimal.

The extra breakout wires

"Permanent +12V", red

This wire is an optional power supply wire for the S2000 instrument cluster. It should be connected to a 12 volt source, but it must be a fused one. This is to feed the instrument cluster with power when your car is turned off, so to keep the clock working together with the KMH/MPH setting, and the dimming setting. Note that this is not required for the cluster to work. If this wire is not connected, the clock will reset itself between each power cycle and default it's KMH/MPH setting and it's dimming setting.

One simple alternative is to make a T-connection to the white/yellow (WHT/YEL) wire that goes to the NSX clock in your dashboard. From page 23-224 in the 1991 NSX Service Manual:

attachment.php

Note that the color coding for your vehicle year might be different. Simple to measure though, should be 12 volt when the car is turned off with key out. NEVER EVER connect any wires directly to the battery without a fuse. Cars have burned down for less. Safety is important.

"Tacho", purple

This wire can be connected to an external tachometer or shift indicator. It carries the RPM signal of the engine.

"Oil pressure", green

The oil pressure signal wire can be connected to an oil pressure meter to provide the signal from the oil pressure sensor in the NSX.

"+12V", red and "Ground", black

The ground and 12 volt wires as meant to power an external meters, such as voltage meters, oil pressure meters and tachometers. Meant only for low-current applications, not like audio head units or similar which are high-current applications.

How to tell the difference between a 2006+ AP2 unit and a 2004-2005 AP2 unit

The 2006+ AP2 units are not (yet) supported by this kit, but it can be difficult to tell these unit apart from the 2004-2005 units which are supported. Always confirm with the seller of your instrument cluster that it is from a car in that exact range, but also check the lower left panel containing some lights. It should look like this:

2004-2005 AP2:
attachment.php

And not like this:

2006+ AP2:
attachment.php

Attachments

• in_car 8 (1).jpg
    in_car 8 (1).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13,544
  • Product1 4 (1).jpg
    Product1 4 (1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 12,433
  • Product1 10.jpg
    Product1 10.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 11,963
  • Product1 5.jpg
    Product1 5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5,296
  • DSC00108 (1)_fixed.jpg
    DSC00108 (1)_fixed.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11,918
  • DSC00108 (1).jpg
    DSC00108 (1).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11,931
  • DSC00100 (1).jpg
    DSC00100 (1).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 11,876
  • Product1 11 (1)_fixed.jpg
    Product1 11 (1)_fixed.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 11,958
  • Product1 1.jpg
    Product1 1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 11,771
  • Product1 8.jpg
    Product1 8.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 15,217
  • whiteLED.jpg
    whiteLED.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 11,643
  • MulticolorLED.jpg
    MulticolorLED.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 11,568
  • blueLED.jpg
    blueLED.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 11,568
  • DSC00177 (1).jpg
    DSC00177 (1).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11,566
  • DSC00171 (1).jpg
    DSC00171 (1).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11,518
  • AP1 ECT Fahrenheit.png
    AP1 ECT Fahrenheit.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 11,968
  • AP2 ECT Fahrenheit.jpg
    AP2 ECT Fahrenheit.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 15,867
  • AP2 Autofuel US gal.jpg
    AP2 Autofuel US gal.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 12,036
  • AP1 ECT Celsius.png
    AP1 ECT Celsius.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 11,065
  • AP2 ECT Celcius.jpg
    AP2 ECT Celcius.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 10,990
  • AP2 Autofuel liters.jpg
    AP2 Autofuel liters.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10,993
  • speedo_formula.JPG
    speedo_formula.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 9,341
  • t-connection.jpg
    t-connection.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 9,297
  • 2004_2005.jpg
    2004_2005.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9,395
  • 2006+.jpg
    2006+.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 9,415
Last edited:
1. RYU

Now let me find a S2K cluster. I'll send you a pm later today so I make sure to pick the best version.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you be able to reprogram the led rpm gauge to have some form of redline warning? For example in modern cars, the entire range of LEDs will flash very quickly to symbolize a near redline condition. That would be very useful for me at the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Some might call it a shift light function. I can't recall if the stock S2K has something like this already.

In this video 6k-7k rpm is yellow. 7k-8k is red. Can someone kindly remind me if this is a stock S2k feature or if its a Qube overlay feature.
https://youtu.be/797I5asJgkU

- - - Updated - - -

I'm very interested in this. I'm looking for a cluster right now.

Lol crazy overbidding to ensue

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=31913]Johan@SjoebergDP[/MENTION] I just ordered a 04 cluster. Might take a week or to arrive to me. Then it off to Stockholm! One of my favorite cities!

(OK, today's impulse buying exercise was a complete success)

Ryu- The AP1 do not change colors. I just went and looked at my dyno vid of my S2000 when we were tuning it.

I just messaged a guy with an AP2 one and hoping we can work something out so I can get finished on my interior overhaul. :biggrin:

Nevermind I looks like you edited your post as I was typing mine lol.

Last edited:
1. RYU

Now let me find a S2K cluster. I'll send you a pm later today so I make sure to pick the best version.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you be able to reprogram the led rpm gauge to have some form of redline warning? For example in modern cars, the entire range of LEDs will flash very quickly to symbolize a near redline condition. That would be very useful for me at the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Some might call it a shift light function. I can't recall if the stock S2K has something like this already.

Hi RYU, thank you! I've noted you as #1. Just to check, is your car is in the 91-94 range? Your avatar shows an NSX with the new headlights. Just making sure as the NSX2S2K kit is currently only compatible with those years.

I won't be able to reprogram the rpm gauge in the way you are mentioning. When you get to the redline, the red lines will flash as standard functionality of the cluster. The best way to get what you are asking for is to employ a LED conversion like the green one where the coloured led strip is divided into several different colors to help you out with a "warning system". I could however, in the future, implement a functionality where any of the lights in the cluster could function like a shift light. Blinking when near redline. However this is not something I plan to do right now.

I'm very interested in this. I'm looking for a cluster right now.

I've previously found a couple of clusters on ebay. You can check there and see if there are any interesting. Just make sure to get the right year model (<= 2005) if you want to use my kit. Good luck!

In this video 6k-7k rpm is yellow. 7k-8k is red. Can someone kindly remind me if this is a stock S2k feature or if its a Qube overlay feature.

- - - Updated - -

This is a Qube LED conversion feature. Pics of OEM look is in my original post.

- - - Updated - - -
@Johan@SjoebergDP I just ordered a 04 cluster. Might take a week or to arrive to me. Then it off to Stockholm! One of my favorite cities!

(OK, today's impulse buying exercise was a complete success)[/QUOTE

Stockholm is a nice city! :smile: Thank you. Contact me over email when your cluster arrives and then we can sort out all the details for your setup. No rush.

Best regards,

For the "base" manual kit for a 04/05 AP2 cluster, do we need to send you the cluster?

Edit: reread the features/description again. Short answer is no if the customer is doing everything themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, jumping the gun

1. RYU
2. dablackgoku1234

Last edited:
I'm not going to do this, but I am very impressed with your skills and presentation. This is a very cool update to our analogue cars.:eek:

I'm not going to do this, but I am very impressed with your skills and presentation. This is a very cool update to our analogue cars.:eek:

Agreed! I couldn't even if I wanted to since I have a 95. Curious as to what the issue is- OBDII?

I'm in. Send me info to send you my 05 S cluster for my 92 X.

1. RYU
2. dablackgoku1234
3. JRZ

Last edited:
Jaw dropped. While I may not do this mod, the amount of work and the detail of the presentation is amazing! So much careful thought and effort. I applaud the true car enthusiasts on this site that never cease to amaze.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments, it's really appreciated. I've spent 2½ years developing this, and more money than I'll ever make selling these. I'm an enthusiast like you and really look forward to driving my own NSX with this mod. Since many of you have sent nice comments on the product presentation I would like to credit my friend and collegue Robert Bujila who supported me "free as in free beer" by spending many late hours with me doing product photography, and for never letting anything go until every single pixel is perfect. Robert in the works a late night, doing some experimenting with lighting and setup:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Amazing what you can do with entry level photography equipment, a good spirit and perseverence.

- - - Updated - - -

For the "base" manual kit for a 04/05 AP2 cluster, do we need to send you the cluster?

Edit: reread the features/description again. Short answer is no if the customer is doing everything themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, jumping the gun

1. RYU
2. dablackgoku1234

Thank you dablackgoku1234, you are #2. The only time you need to send your S2K cluster to me is if you need the odometer reprogrammed, the AutoFuel functionality (Model 14 b, AP2 only) or have the housing modified by me. I'm currently filming an instructional video for the modification step so it should be easy for anyone to do themselves but I do offer the service if anybody would like me to do the scary cutting :wink:

Agreed! I couldn't even if I wanted to since I have a 95. Curious as to what the issue is- OBDII?

Thank you Nero Tenebre. Theres no secret to the nature of the issue, it's as simple as different pin-out of the different years. I don't know why Honda decided to change the pin mapping for the cluster over the years, but they did. According to my understanding from studying the electrical charts, there are three different pin outs: 91-94, 95-96 and 97-05. However I can't exclude the fact that there might be variations that are unknown to me. This is the reason to why the NSX gaugle assembly cannot be retrofitted between the years, you have to find spares within your year range.

I'm in. Send me info to send you my 05 S cluster for my 92 X.

1. RYU
2. dablackgoku1234
3. JRZ

Thanks JRZ, you are the final #3. I'll contact you immediately with the information.

One last question... how's the latency?

The latency will always be dominated by the features of the cluster itself, not the converters. If you choose the Model 14a version, the one with the manual fuel calibration, the added latency due to the conversion stage is for the tacho and speedo proportional to rpm and speed. This latency is completely insignificant for the speedometer as the S2K cluster updates it a a frequency far less than the frequency of what the converter is doing, and for the tacho a maximum of about 25 milliseconds at ~1000 rpm, which goes down to about 1 millisecond at ~8000 rpm. If you choose the Model 14b version, the added latency for the tacho will be 0 across the board, and the same insignifact amount for the speedo.

Best regards,

Attachments

• DSC_1330.jpg
    DSC_1330.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10,644
  • DSC_1333.jpg
    DSC_1333.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 10,651
I volunteer you to make everything for the nsx.....:biggrin:

I will be choosing 14b. Auto fuel level and 0 tacho latency (though seems insignificant of a concern). Win win!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, skill, and effort with the rest of us! Hope to do the same for you someday.

btw.. I'm planning to make the NSX Euro trip next year. Adnan, Bas, and friends have convinced me to at least attempt to plan for it. Perhaps i'll meet you in person.

Back