• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXCC - Lunch BBQ / Window pulley / jewelry party (ladies) - June 16 (or 30) 10-3

Following Est Fest, our 2012 driving season is officially in full swing. The club has plenty more events planned this season, and we hope to have you taking part. To those who missed Est Fest, here is the prime post with plenty of pictures to share.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1581915#post1581915

We are launching a Windows Pulley day BBQ at Robert Magro’s house in Carlisle Ontario. Event date has tentatively been set for Saturday June 16 10am-3pm with alternate date being June 30. We will have two spots for windows pulley upgrade so if your windows are running slow and you have been looking for someone to install your upgrades, let us know to book you in, and don’t worry about buying parts as we have parts for the install.

As usual, the BBQ will be fired up at precisely 12pm. Our chef of the day will make sure no one drives home hungry. Beverage will be free flowing and plentiful as many of you observed at Est Fest, but feel free to bring on 6 pack/bottle of your favorites.

For the first wives club, Michelle Magro and the kids will be your hosts for the day and will have wine & cheese prepared ready to entertain. She will arrange a jewelry party featuring the Lia Sophia collection. There will be a good selection of stock available to try and for purchase.

http://www.liasophia.ca/regional/home?selectedLocale=en_CA

Go ahead and sign up here. If you are unable to take part on the 16th, but available on the 30th, let us know as well.

1) Owen
2) Chris Lue (9am - pulleys)
3) Rick J (10am - pulleys)
4) Rob D
5) Bash & Urbee
6) Danny
7) Rick S & Cristina
8) Mario
9) Sean F
10) Henry
11) Jim E
12) John G
13) Daria, Glynis, Adam
14) Robert & Michelle (hosts)
15) Chris W, James, Lucas

Last edited:
Chris and Tiff for the 16th.

We cannot do teh 30th because we will be in Japan.

I also very much need the window fix upgrade.

What's the cost for the window pulleys?

Bram..............no PM
Tnx
Shawna

Yes i need a spot Owen. Have been waiting all year for this. Bram told me about it last year.

Do you need a spot for the install?

John, are you flying solo or perhaps bringing Marilyn also? This is literally in your backyard I would think. Do you need the pulleys intallation done?

For those unfamiliar with the window regulator update... Hugo aka hugabuga spent quite a bit of effort researching the root cause of the ever persistent NSX window regulator failures compared to all other Hondas. He used the S2000 as his basis for comparison.

To sum it up... the root cause is 1 major design flaw in the original regulator and two minor design flaws that work together to cause the regulator to fail or slow to a crawl.

1. 180 degree cable drag
2. Plastic axle inside the regulator
3. Weak cable end connector (Window Fix-it Thingy)

1. The NSX regulator was designed with a plastic guide at the 180 degree cable turn. This is the root cause of all Window regulator failures and slowness. This 180 degree cable guide adds a significant amount of drag to the regulator system. Even a brand new regulator has significant drag. Drag increases with time and usually the first item to break is number 3, the weak cable connector. SOS and Dali have created aluminim cable end connectors so they don't break like the OEM plastic ones. Honda updated that design by enclosing the plastic in a metal housing but it's really only addressing a symtom of significant cable drag.

Hugo's pully replaces the OEM plastic guide at the 180 degree cable turn and was modelled after the S2000 regulator which has a similar pully. Instead of dragging, the pully turns with the cable almost eliminating all drag at the 180 degree turn and in essence, eliminating negative effects of 2. and 3.

2. Inside the regulator there is a plastic axle that houses the larger cable pully where the cable winds itself up. Due to the excessive drag of the OEM guide at the 180 degree turn, that plastic axle inside the regulator begins to wear. The wear on the axle actually begins to tilt the cable pully grind down the axle. Now the regulator internals itself begin to add drag to the entire system putting further stress on 3. the weak cable connector.

Hugo's pully kit comes with a metal sleeve that is inserted over a damaged axle inside the regulator to harden the axle and eliminate existing and future drag from within the regulator.

3. As we know, this is the failure point. It's possible to put so much drag and stress on the system such that the cable end actually breaks but that's usually quite rare. We harden this piece with the Window Fix-It aluminum part and it works... however, with all that drag, the windows move up and down at a snails pace.

To avoid failure, we address number 3. but to fix the slowness we need to address 1. and most likely 2. Buying a new regulator will reset an old regulator plagued with drag with a new one that has less drag but will eventually end up requiring replacement in the future as the design flaws of introducing drag still exists.

The teflon window guides are aimed at further reducing drag at the slider that lifts and lowers the window. The key issue that Hugo's kit focusses on, is drag reduction which is what kills the regulator and slows them down.

For those unfamiliar with the window regulator update... Hugo aka hugabuga spent quite a bit of effort researching the root cause of the ever persistent NSX window regulator failures compared to all other Hondas. He used the S2000 as his basis for comparison.

To sum it up... the root cause is 1 major design flaw in the original regulator and two minor design flaws that work together to cause the regulator to fail or slow to a crawl.

1. 180 degree cable drag
2. Plastic axle inside the regulator
3. Weak cable end connector (Window Fix-it Thingy)....

Very well said Garrick I have a set for regulators already removed from my '91 Project build, and already have Hugo's rebuild kit I can bring down to do a rebuild on. Unfortunately can't make it on the 16th, but the 30th date works I can make it for that one.

Now this is what we called product knowledge, and how brilliant people engineer solutions to fix problems.

Both lithiumus (Garrick) and factorynsxtech (Robert) will be on-hand to install your new pulleys and teflon guides. It is not cheap to have it install (labor cost alone is $350 for OE doors, $400 for modified door speakers setup, $250 if owner removes their own door skin, audio and vapor barriers) but their benefits and enhancements are significant. For prices on the pulleys/teflon guides hardware, please email us at [email protected].

One thing Garrick didn't mention is the potential option to also replace new windows regulators in conjunction with the above pulleys update. This will insure your windows will stay in top operating condition for years to come. The caveat is a new set of regulators cost $1050+HST at Acura Oakville, but you save on the installation at a later date since your doors skins are already off to install the pulleys

Notwithstanding, for most of us with working windows (even if very slow), the pulley/teflon guide fix would solve much of our problems already.

Last edited:
Offending part in question (from last year)

main.php

Window_Regulator.jpg

Regulator update almost completed. Rob and I must have been working on the regulator pully core drilling for the sleeve. That's the only part missing from the picture...

From left to right...
- Teflon guides installed for the window lifter
- metal sleeve installed on the plastic axle
- Hugo's pully installed at the 180 degree cable turn
- old OEM plastic guide removed from the 180 degree cable turn (discard)

Shoot. Wish I had known about this earlier. I did mine in the spring and it was a pain. All I kept thinking about was the video that Hugo made showing his kid doing the upgrade. I probably rebuilt each side 3-5 times before I got it right.

Ed, that's why we host these events for experts to do it. That Hugo video made the job looks too straight forward when in fact it's a complicate work. You should come out and share your experience with the group.

Are you getting your car back soon?

Back