• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO Auto Transport

Guys,
For those whom I have discussed this with... It looks like the exclusive use of an enclosed auto carrier (8 cars) will cost us about 4K ($500 apiece) each way to/from NSXPO. They will do round trip or one-way service and guarantee the arrival and departure dates.
It's really not that bad of a deal with all things considered, ie; fuel, lodging, tires, mileage, potential break-downs, and time.
With myself and beckertb there will be 6 slots remaining. Please chime in if you want to reserve your spot. If we can fill two trucks there will be additional discounts, so if you don't make it on the list and you would like to be included, put your name down anyway and we'll see if we can fill that 2nd truck.
It may also be helpful if you would post if you are interested in 1 way or round-trip and which leg you are willing to drive.

Brad

Brad,

Will the pick-up and drop-off point be Houston only? Or will it be possible to work out something for people in Austin?

Thanks,
Ojas

Ojas,
My guess is that your p/u point could be SA, as the truck has to go that way to get to PHX.

Thanks,
Brad

Count me in, too! :smile:
I assume pickup will be in a specific place/time, as will drop off.

We'll need to discuss dates so I can get hotel reservations and plane tickets squared away.

EDIT: Since I don't have to drive both ways now, I'll take round trip!

Thanks for looking into this Brad!

Is everyone considering shipping their cars both ways, or are you also including people for one-way? There was talk this weekend of driving to the event, and shipping back. Does no-one one want to do this anymore? BTW, I haven't decided what I'd want to do, just wanting to know what everyone else is thinking.... :smile:

rbirling said:
Is everyone considering shipping their cars both ways...

My dates were going to be Thursday-Friday drive, participate Friday afternoon - Sunday morning, then leave to be back home late Monday night.

Shipping both ways gives me a chance to be there on Thursday, and at least watch the track events on Monday, and still be back home the same time, if not stay an extra day.

Not that I don't WANT to drive I-10 all the way to El Paso...I know the scenery is calling me... :tongue:

Seriously, this option gives me more time out there, and not having to spend more time driving than participating.

I told the carrier that the cars MUST arrive in PHX on Thur. 10/6, and MUST leave PHX on Mon. 10/10.

Bling: It is very possible that others may want to do the one-way route. Sign up for your preference and we can see what happens, or you can secure your spot for round trip, now, and possibly someone will come along and take 1/2 of it from you.

Brad

2Dobes said:
Bling: It is very possible that others may want to do the one-way route. Sign up for your preference and we can see what happens, or you can secure your spot for round trip, now, and possibly someone will come along and take 1/2 of it from you.

Brad

Actually, this is Bob, rbirling, not bling. If I was in, I'd be hoping that _most_ people would want to drive out, but ship back. Which would seem to make it unlikely that someone would pick up the opposite direction. Of course, if everyone did that, we'd only need to ship one-way period. But I'm just mulling over ideas, I don't know if I'm even going at this point. Thanks.

Sorry about that, Bob.
It could be that we have 1 truck going out there, and two returning. I do know that by pooling our resources it saves each car almost $200 each way over the lowest quote I received going at it alone.
They are requesting a 30 day notice to book this trip. So, you have about another 45 to make up your mind...maybe. :eek:

Brad

Ojas said:
Brad,

Will the pick-up and drop-off point be Houston only? Or will it be possible to work out something for people in Austin?

Thanks,
Ojas

my question is the same as OJAS. What would be the guestimated day/time back to Texas after the event. This will help me decide whether I trailor it myself or fly out. Also the drop off point in arizona. Also help me decide if I need to rent a car or something.

gil

Gil,

Being a solid truck, I doubt there is any delay in getting the cars back to Houston.
I figured that I would make the drop-off/pick-up point at the hotel where the majority will reside. Chances are that the hotel has a shuttle providing transportation to and from the airport.
Just 3 spots left.

Brad

2Dobes said:
I told the carrier that the cars MUST arrive in PHX on Thur. 10/6, and MUST leave PHX on Mon. 10/10.

Brad

Brad,

I would love to use my car for the autocross on monday and tuesday, would it be possible to change the pickup date/time to tuesday afternoon?

Who else would like to stay for the autocross?

Nick,

Let's see who else wants to extend their trip. If it's just you, then you alone would be left behind to ensure everyone elses car makes it on the truck, safely. :eek:
Another option might be to let someone who drove out purchase your return trip on this truck, and I could see if the carrier would honor the same average rate for your vehicle to be picked up on Tuesday. I doubt that shipment times would be guaranteed in that instance, though.

Tuesday

Oh, I just now caught the 10/10 pack-up date from Phoenix. My thought is that if I am going to NSXPO, I would like to attend all events, including Monday and Tuesday’s drivers school.

So, like Nick, my preference would be for a pick-up schedule that allows me to leave after Tuesday’s drivers school.

2Dobes said:
Nick,

Let's see who else wants to extend their trip.

I would prefer to head back on Monday. BUT, if the vote goes towards the vehicles being there to ship on Tuesday, I could either stick around another day, or give someone my keys that could make sure my car gets on the Tuesday truck.

Sam

Count me in for the trip out, at least. I was asked to instruct for the driving school, so I guess that means I will be committed to be there Monday and Tuesday. If the truck is scheduled to leave earlier than late Tuesday or on Wednesday, then I guess I'll have to drive back, though I prefer not to.

Warren

Hey guys,

I just received my NSXPO registration in the mail. Late date on early registration is 8.26.05.

What are we doing? If we can't make the minumum for the truck, I plan on driving, but that changes a lot of things. Reservations for hotels, plus something there and back. Registration itself, etc.

Sorry to push on this, but plans need to be made.

THANKS!

Sam

Guys,

A number of things have changed recently and I have cancelled my plans to instruct at the school in Phoenix. So the spot on the truck reserved for me is now open for someone else. Sorry about that. If there are any problems, let me know.

Warren

Hi, Brad;

Have you decided on the return date for the transportation? is it still Monday? Since i wasn't sure, i just a bought a one way ticket to Phoenix. Please let me know soon if the car can be picked up on Tuesday, if so then i'll buy a ticket for the return trip.

Thanks
Nick

Nick,

We just need to get a general consensus from the group. I'm a little sketchy about leaving my car behind, unattended, and even more so about leaving 7 NSX's behind, unattended. I'll get over it if the others can.

With FastIsFunSlowSucks' change of plans we are now 1 car short of filling the truck. We have a little more than two weeks to find a taker.

Back