• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX's at SEMA 2014 in Las Vegas, my notes and trip

Each year we attend SEMA and hope to learn a few new things at the show. For those who have not been to one, it's sometimes an overload experience of everything automotive thrown in your face all at once, from body repair to fantastic breathtaking paint jobs, there is no shortage of talent at these shows a owners and companies try to out-do each other to gab the spotlight.

This year, I thought it would be fun to make a journal of every NSX we saw at the show and talk to the owners if possible. Many of them are here on Prime so look for your photos up here shortly.

Just off the top of my head, without reviewing pictures I remember:

Daniel Lee and his iLift red NSX on display
Brian Barnfield and his black NSX in the concourse
Custom widebody white NSX from the bay area
Rocket Bunny's blue NSX
Grey NSX sporting the crazy FI and SSR wheels

Will post the pictures on this thread shortly....

so many cool cars I can't even begin to start but I think everyone's heard by now of the LibertyWalk Ferrari that got rear-ended during the end of show parade of cars by a Jeep. That was probably the most publicity as any mfr. could have wanted as the owner took the whole thing in stride.

The new M3/M4 was well represented and it seems vinyl wraps are a very big industry right now with so many vendors showing their skills at wrapping a car. Very happy to report the NSX is still a show stopper even with all these modern cars :)

- - - Updated - - -

here's the first NSX I saw when I got there, never saw the owner or met him but seems he left the car since it got rather dusty parked outside all day. I would never trust leaving my car parked there all week like that hence we left her safely at home.

Not much to say about this one, at first I thought it was a Vette, LOL:

here's Mr. Barnfield's car parked inside the concourse area, pretty safe:

Crazy FI NSX:

Carbonworks car at BC Racing booth:

Infamous Rocket bunny car, yes rear bumper has been cut! not my cup of tea but cute model:

Custom wide-body NSX from a local forum member:

This owner brought his car out from NC:

Mugen NSX owner parked up front:

NSX demonstrating the iLift system, pretty cool to see it in action (NSXprime member's old car)

- - - Updated - - -

and these were my top 2 favorite cars at the show, one is a super clean widebody and the other is the now famous LW 458 that got hit by the Jeep leaving the show:

First one is our full carbon SV28 Widebody NSX. Wish I would have had a chance to meet you in person. Due to my procrastinating painter we painted and assembled it in 3 days. I didnt get chance to final adjust all the body panels or install exhaust or grill mesh or a whole mess of other stuff. I actually installed the seats once in place at the show, rolled in with the seats just sitting loosely. I didn't go Thursday, when I got there Friday it was filthy.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Steven still owns the red iLift NSX. He shipped his car up from Hawaii to the mainland and attended SEMA to demonstrate the system.

My NSX at SEMA 2014. This project has been a long 8 year project of collecting parts and networking with old friends and making new ones. I'm truly thankful to everyone that has supported my passion for this project. I believe this is the only car ever been built in North America proudly outfitted with such parts. Enjoy everyone.

Here's a great read from DrivingLine | SEMA 2014: Still the one…Mugen NSX

mugen_nsx_acura1.jpg

mugen_nsx_acura4.jpg

Some great photos from JDM Zip Ties | Modern Automotive Lifestyle Photography Photojournalism | Los Angeles and Orange County

6_zpsfbd502c1.jpg

I want to send my NSX to Liberty Walk :biggrin:

Uh oh....hehehe ~ you'll be the first guy in Norcal with a Liberty Walk kit man! Baller!

Honestly this year's show was better than in previous years. Seemed better organized and there was less of the crazy rice setups you usually see. I think the Korean mfr' (Kia and Hyundai) really had the most impressive showings in terms of aftermarket support. Honda's display is getting weaker every years, this time they had about a handful of Fits with decorative gear, so sad.

Scion had a sample of some really really cool custom builds as they do every year and those were awesome! Ford, Chevy also had massive displays showing their support for the aftermarket industry.

Lexus also had a line around their displays pretty much the entire show (not sure if it was because of their rides) but that they were giving away free engraved USB drives. By doing that, it blocked their cars from viewing so not sure if that was such a smart move for a $5 dollar item. Seems like if you wanted a massive line just give out some cheap free stuff or hire some scandily clad models :)

Lexus also had a line around their displays pretty much the entire show (not sure if it was because of their rides) but that they were giving away free engraved USB drives. By doing that, it blocked their cars from viewing so not sure if that was such a smart move for a $5 dollar item. Seems like if you wanted a massive line just give out some cheap free stuff or hire some scandily clad models :)
That's the unfortunate fact of tradeshows. It doesn't nessesarily matter how amazing your product is, it's the free $h!t that's given out that draws the crowd. I've found, from a few years of tradeshow experience, that you could be selling gold bars at a thousand dollars an ounce less than market but, no one will give you the time of day unless you are giving away a $.03 #2 pencil with a snappy logo printed on it and a plastic bag to carry it. And even that isn't enough, you have to have a wheel of fortune or an astro-turf putting green with the chance to win a keychain. SEMA is a bit more controlled so you will see more people that are actually interested in cars however, even at SEMA there will be people who only go to get as much free stuff as possible.

My NSX at SEMA 2014. This project has been a long 8 year project of collecting parts and networking with old friends and making new ones. I'm truly thankful to everyone that has supported my passion for this project. I believe this is the only car ever been built in North America proudly outfitted with such parts. Enjoy everyone.

IMO yours is hands down the best na1 of show!

And thanks for the coverage Rick. Would love to go check it all out one day.

Last edited:
The one thing I wish was getting a chance to meet more of the owners but with such a crazy large space of cars and multiple halls it can get a bit overwhelming. I actually took my Xootr there this year and was able to cover a lot of ground based on experience but more than one person gave me odd looks since I was able to cruise around rather than walk for the most part :)

Since many of you didn't go, here's a few more cool shots of vehicles and other stuff at the show.....

This will probably be my near future DD when the 2016 model is released, such a sexy car and practical too:

Toyota had this static display for show only purpose:

HRE probably has the single most expensive car there:

Sweet McLaren sporting some CF aero goodies:

This vintage fire-truck was restored and featured by a local news crew and had so much history behind it, I was afraid to ask the cost to restore this baby:

I'm pretty sure Steven still owns the red iLift NSX. He shipped his car up from Hawaii to the mainland and attended SEMA to demonstrate the system.

Yes. I still own the red, twin turbo iLIFT NSX that was in our booth at SEMA.
Daniel Lee who was also the booth is my son. I'm hoping he won't be the owner of the iLIFT NSX for at least another 30 years!

Steven Lee l

Is that GT theory's NSX with their new Widebody kit? I like the subtleness of the rear quarter panels, they look stock and can fit bigger wheels and tires. The front fenders also look stock, these are probably the fenders the NSX should have came with.

Is that GT theory's NSX with their new Widebody kit? I like the subtleness of the rear quarter panels, they look stock and can fit bigger wheels and tires. The front fenders also look stock, these are probably the fenders the NSX should have came with.
Yes that is our SV-28 widebody kit. This one is the full vacuum bag carbon version, the body panels weigh half of the factory aluminum counterparts. I have been trying to finish a few detsils up so I can get some higher quality pictures. Here is a good one that shows the rear fender shape

Screenshot_2014-11-07-20-30-41-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We also finished the center exit exhaust protoype that didn't get done in time for SEMA.IMG_2308.JPG

That center exit exhaust looks very nice and light. Looks a lot light than my taitec center exit

Loved the pics - thanks!

Yes. I still own the red, twin turbo iLIFT NSX that was in our booth at SEMA.
Daniel Lee who was also the booth is my son. I'm hoping he won't be the owner of the iLIFT NSX for at least another 30 years!

Steven Lee l

ahh so the young man I met was your son ~ very polite guy and I have to report that he was doing a fine job at the booth. Most people just sits around and have their face buried in their phone but this guy was like a machine, he was constantly handing out flyers and doing demos's with a piece of paper showing how the lift worked. Even when I stayed and talked to him for a bit, he was multi-tasking talking to me while doing his sales pitch ~ LOL!

Steven Allen: glad you enjoyed the pics!

Yes that is our SV-28 widebody kit. This one is the full vacuum bag carbon version, the body panels weigh half of the factory aluminum counterparts. I have been trying to finish a few detsils up so I can get some higher quality pictures. Here is a good one that shows the rear fender shape

I'd be interested in your wide body fender setup with stock bumpers and rockers. Is this a plan in future?

Wanted to add to this thread.. thanks Rick for the pics and thanks for your work on the interior - although we didn't get to show it off.

Here are some of my NSX pics at SEMA... the car is really 60% done. Still has a long ways to go.

Back