• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Octane to Use-is 87 ok?

LOL. 91 only my friend. Although ecu can likely compensate via knock sensor for decreased performance...if you can afford a $72k car, you can afford premium gas I say.

Why in the hell do people buy these cars and want to use freakin 87 octane gas!?!?!??!

If you don't want to pay for premium, DON'T BUY THE CAR.

Oh no, not this again! Next thing you know, we're going to have interpretations of the owners manual. Then people are going to paraphrase what the manual says. Then we're going to have a poll on what kind of gasoline we use... Argh!

haha, you should use Diesel Fuel :biggrin:

hopefully its not 87 with 10% ethanol,

ethanol sux =(

cashmgt said:
Am getting a new, never titled 04 NSX for $72k...is this a good deal? Also are there any known Problems with using 87 Octane gas?

Pls reply here or to
[email protected]

thanks
Paul
Sounds like a great deal, I bought an 02, when the 03's where knocking on the door and paid 74k (with the only options which are now standard). IMHO, think that you saved 17k from the "list price", now you can afford to ante up the extra .10 per gallon for premium fuel, and get the performance out of the car that you wanted when you decided to buy the car. Don't cheap out on gas :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Paul
Try the 87, then try the 91, and then try the 91 nonoxy. Then decide. the car does not care. I use nonoxy for max power and mileage even though it's only rare that I get on it.
Neil

I am a grandpa but only drive like it part of the time

Please tell us your Vin # for the records and let us know how strong the NSX engine is against knock. :wink:

neilh said:
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. I use the 91 nonoxy. But I do believe the Honda engineers put in knock sensors that work.

That maybe true but the retard can only go so far. Why not rev to 8000rpm a bunch of times in winter climates and see how well the engine hold up with a wideband?

To be fair, you could run 87 octane with no problem, as long as the tach stayed below - say - 4-5000 RPM. The higher octane provides no extra fuel efficiency in itself; it keeps the fuel from detonating too early. When you start pushing the engine faster and faster, you need a higher octane fuel to run without predetonation.

If we had engines that ran at 12,000RPM, we'd all need Jet-A unleaded at 106 (?) octane.

Of course, I'm not sure what the point of having an NSX is if you don't take it up past 4k RPM - you're really not even in the effective powerband yet. But my point is, you could run the low octane without damage to the engine.

The Prelude H22a had a knock sensor that pulls timing if you put in 87 octane, it was a feature it's even covered in the owner's manual. Given the 2 cars came out at the same time with similar VTEC systems, they likely both do it. Although I would say it's a worse idea to do it on the C30A/C32B

mojo said:
To be fair, you could run 87 octane with no problem, as long as the tach stayed below - say - 4-5000 RPM. The higher octane provides no extra fuel efficiency in itself; it keeps the fuel from detonating too early. When you start pushing the engine faster and faster, you need a higher octane fuel to run without predetonation.

If we had engines that ran at 12,000RPM, we'd all need Jet-A unleaded at 106 (?) octane.

Of course, I'm not sure what the point of having an NSX is if you don't take it up past 4k RPM - you're really not even in the effective powerband yet. But my point is, you could run the low octane without damage to the engine.

just a quick question about this what about sport bikes then, that are insanely high reving?

Looking at the data on the picture.. it looks like its the same type of car (VW GTI-VR6)but your right its not the same exact car.

I believe the data is taken with one car with 91 octane and the other with 89.

To answer the original poster, yes you can use 87 octane. However, you will be getting diminished performance (both in terms of power and fuel efficiency). Hardly worth the 10-20 cents per gallon you'll save.

Don't do it.

As I recall, one of the major trade rag's (I think it was C&D) did a pretty in depth comparison of several recent model cars where they dyno'd the cars using reg. unleaded and super unleaded and found that while the knock sensors did work (and thus prevent damages), the higher octane did, in most cases, make more power. A lot more power in some cases.

The moral... you're lucky enough to be purchasing one of the finest sports cars ever made. Do yourself and your car a favor and don't skimp on things like good gas, good maintenance and good tires.

My twelve cents.

"Am getting a new, never titled 04 NSX for $72k..."

Troll allert.......

"any known Problems with using 87 Octane gas?"

Ditto........

Back