• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ODBII Connector for 95 NSX T where?

I have a 1995 NSX ODB2 NSX. Where the hell is the Data Link Connector? Can't find it under the glove box. Took glove box out and lower panels but only find the blue two wire MIL connector. I Know that Acura 1995 ODBII is the later standard compliant with the exception of a j1962 connector. Please help, having emission problems.

Stephen

Mine is behind a rectangular panel on the trim under the left side of the glovebox (as you sit in the passenger seat and look at it). I was told some 95's were OBD1, but I cannot confirm this...

It is next to the glovebox as was mentioned behind a flip up panel...

Thanks
My car is production date 1/95 and is an ODBII vehicle by design. Why would Acura build the first TBW system not to be ODBII compliant? Don't know why my NSX does not have the J1962 connector but it doesn't. Instead there is a 12 pin connector with a blue tape attaching it to the metal frame. There is no cut out or bracket for a J1962 connector. The wire harness has four 02 connectors for four O2sensors in the exhaust so I'm pretty sure this is ODBII even though there is no ODBII sticker under the hood. Will just have to do more research.
Stephen
Mine is behind a rectangular panel on the trim under the left side of the glovebox (as you sit in the passenger seat and look at it). I was told some 95's were OBD1, but I cannot confirm this...

Attachments

• 12 pin connector sm.jpg
    12 pin connector sm.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 90
Glove box and lower panel is removed, no bayonette J1962 connector in sight. loosing my marbles! Have some emissions issue to trouble shoot and MIL flashing codes is not enough information to fix my car. Need to connect to ECU CAN bus to see stuff in real time while engine is running. The Acura OEM manual only documents the later 95 car with ODBII connector installed. Diagram in that book does not show anywhere the 12 pin connector that is there instead of the J1962 one. The wiring diagrams for both earlier and later do not show this connector or diagram with color code of wires. I know this is a handmade car but sjheesh, is the harness unique handmade too?

Stephen

It is next to the glovebox as was mentioned behind a flip up panel...

Last edited:
Again, I am no expert, but I was told that in 1995 not all cars were fully OBDII compliant. Unfortunately, yours appears to be one of them.... On my car, they put the blue tape on some wires as sort of a marker for "add-ons". They did it on my keyless remote entry wires (that I added myself later). Did you do a search for an aftermarket/OEM OBDII connector to this wire harness? FYI, Larry B may also be of help.

Good luck

I know the cvic is in another league but my civic was built in 07/1995 and it is not OBD2. What is the bid deal though? Just stick the paper clip into the 2-pin connector and find your code.

This is my 96, I can't imagine the 95 being any different. 95/96 are not compliant with the 'full' OBD II standard but the connector is the same..

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 132
This model is fully ODBII compliant except for J1962 connector

Stephen

Again, I am no expert, but I was told that in 1995 not all cars were fully OBDII compliant. Unfortunately, yours appears to be one of them.... On my car, they put the blue tape on some wires as sort of a marker for "add-ons". They did it on my keyless remote entry wires (that I added myself later). Did you do a search for an aftermarket/OEM OBDII connector to this wire harness? FYI, Larry B may also be of help.

Good luck

Tried that and there are no codes. ODBII lets you talk "live" to the engine while running thus allowing more granular examination of ECU and sensor functions in real time. You can even log and record sensor's and ECU functions! Not to mention monitoring SRS, ABS and transmission (Auto) plus electroniclly reseting computers. This is 100 times more powerful than just a few collected codes in ECU memory. Hence the urgency to connect to Data Link CAN bus
Stephen

I know the cvic is in another league but my civic was built in 07/1995 and it is not OBD2. What is the bid deal though? Just stick the paper clip into the 2-pin connector and find your code.

Just as a reference NSX is NOT a CAN system.

CAN = Car Area Network, newer technology then that used in all model year NSX's:)

Larry,

Looks like Honda uses a proprietary multiplex bus and ISO9141/KWP2000 for the ODB2 J1962 connector but how do you see which ECU wire/connector it interfaces with? Went to the Acura dealer today and asked them about the 95 NSX ODB2 under glove box connector, all I got was a wide eyed look and questions like "Sir, what are you talking about? we don't sell a part for that, sorry we can't help you" Their book was as useless as mine. No connector, picture, harness or wire diagram shown for ODB2 connector, even for the 96 model! Was this technology from the Rosewell crash in the fortys? Must be some alien technolgy that only SAE Engineers that sign a death oath can have access to! Very frustrating indeed!

Stephen

Last edited:
Larry,

Maybe this car does not have the wiring from ECU to standard j1962 Molex connector. Maybe I'll have to interface my own connector to the ECU. If only I knew which ECU pins to connect to. No wonder there is no scanner made that states it works with a 1995 NSX, they all exclude this model and now I know why!

Stephen

What color is the 12 pin connector? Green?

Larry,

Maybe this car does not have the wiring from ECU to standard j1962 Molex connector. Maybe I'll have to interface my own connector to the ECU. If only I knew which ECU pins to connect to. No wonder there is no scanner made that states it works with a 1995 NSX, they all exclude this model and now I know why!

Stephen

I have repaired MANY 1995 NSX's.. Every one had a OBDII connector. Many times the connector was broken and not snapped into the bracket under the glovebox and I have to find it. Maybe it is time to remove the glove box and have a look. Also for what you are mentioning, you need a service manual.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,

If you read the fith post from the top "Glove box and lower panel is removed, no bayonette J1962 connector in sight." and I have the Acura 1995 manual but it only shows a vague reference to conector with no pin out or useful information for my case. When I bought this car the lower panel under glove box was missing so I may be missing a sub connector cable between harness and lower glovebox panel that holds the j1962 Molex connector. The guy I bought the car from a few years ago is not returning my calls or emails about the missing part. he either sold it or just can't remember what happened to it. The Acura dealer said the only thing they can do is sell me the font harness for $3000.00! Even then they don't garauntee that the j1962 connector will be on it! These project cars can become quite complex!
Stephen

I have repaired MANY 1995 NSX's.. Every one had a OBDII connector. Many times the connector was broken and not snapped into the bracket under the glovebox and I have to find it. Maybe it is time to remove the glove box and have a look. Also for what you are mentioning, you need a service manual.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Back