• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM+ '92 Berlina build (Volk Racing, Mugen, Recaro content inside)

What all do you have done to yours to lose the weight?
Check out the first post, all my mods are up there. I don't have the breakdown of the weights though sorry.

OEM wing is pretty heavy. Something like a BYS wing is very light. I think Route KS makes a carbon OEM wing, but not sure on the weight.

You can do aftermarket side mirrors, a different exhaust (not sure how much yours weighs), Spoon front brake caliper since OEM is heavy, aftermarket exhaust manifolds & cats (not sure if you have). I'm sure there's more.
I would love a lightweight OEM style wing as the stocker is pretty dang heavy, I'll do some digging.

Dang, I wish you were my neighbor! Judging by your garage I suspect that we have a lot in common. Aside from the obvious car choices, I see you have an R1 (I had a 92' FZR1000 amongst others) and I'm a Nicky Hayden fan as well, God rest his soul. I still get a lump in my throat any time I think about him. 🥺

I'm also working on something of a light weight build, but being that I have a 96' NSX-T I have a bit further to go. When I first got it, it weighed 3132 lbs with a full tank of gas and the last time I weighed it, it was 3026 lbs with a full tank of gas. Most of the weight loss was from the exhaust (SOS headers and cats, J's-Racing titanium muffler), SOS 275 clutch/flywheel, Foundry3 titanium targa brace and Foundry 3 engine mounts. A significant portion was also due I'm sure, because I had removed the spare as it didn't fit with the Foundry 3 titanium front brace I added. Unfortunately, I gained some of the weight back with the Tecnomags and wider tires* I got for it, but I think I may have evened that out with the Sakebomb Garage AP Racing BBK.

Unfortunately, unlike you I arrived at the realization that a 16/17 inch wheel combo is better than a 17/18 inch combo for unsprung weight and rotating mass a bit too late as the aforementioned BBK negates having a 16" front wheel. I imagine that a 16/17 inch wheel and tire combination is probably better overall given that the car was originally designed for 15/16 inch wheels and tires.

Once I fit the Sakebomb Garage rear BBK I plan on weighing it again and next up will be a light weight battery and very likely the mirrors and rear wing. It's great to read that you lost a good bit of weight there and I was not aware that the OE bits are pretty heavy. I just want to make sure I find the best rear wing available and would appreciate suggestions! I like the Spoon mirrors but I wish the base of the mirrors integrated with the doors a little better visually.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I wish you were my neighbor buddy...

* In my excitement with having found a clean-ish text of Tecnomagnesio wheels I never bothered to ask how wide they were and got wheels an inch wider than I preferred. That of course meant wider tires, so my "light weight" magnesium rims are heavier than the Mita 7S wheels that were on it...

Last edited:
Dang, I wish you were my neighbor! Judging by your garage I suspect that we have a lot in common. Aside from the obvious car choices, I see you have an R1 (I had a 92' FZR1000 amongst others) and I'm a Nicky Hayden fan as well, God rest his soul. I still get a lump in my throat any time I think about him. 🥺

I'm also working on something of a light weight build, but being that I have a 96' NSX-T I have a bit further to go. When I first got it, it weighed 3132 lbs with a full tank of gas and the last time I weighed it, it was 3026 lbs with a full tank of gas. Most of the weight loss was from the exhaust (SOS headers and cats, J's-Racing titanium muffler), SOS 275 clutch/flywheel, Foundry3 titanium targa brace and Foundry 3 engine mounts. A significant portion was also due I'm sure, because I had removed the spare as it didn't fit with the Foundry 3 titanium front brace I added. Unfortunately, I gained some of the weight back with the Tecnomags and wider tires* I got for it, but I think I may have evened that out with the Sakebomb Garage AP Racing BBK.

Unfortunately, unlike you I arrived at the realization that a 16/17 inch wheel combo is better than a 17/18 inch combo for unsprung weight and rotating mass a bit too late as the aforementioned BBK negates having a 16" front wheel. I imagine that a 16/17 inch wheel and tire combination is probably better overall given that the car was originally designed for 15/16 inch wheels and tires.

Once I fit the Sakebomb Garage rear BBK I plan on weighing it again and next up will be a light weight battery and very likely the mirrors and rear wing. It's great to read that you lost a good bit of weight there and I was not aware that the OE bits are pretty heavy. I just want to make sure I find the best rear wing available and would appreciate suggestions! I like the Spoon mirrors but I wish the base of the mirrors integrated with the doors a little better visually.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I wish you were my neighbor buddy...

* In my excitement with having found a clean-ish text of Tecnomagnesio wheels I never bothered to ask how wide they were and got wheels an inch wider than I preferred. That of course meant wider tires, so my "light weight" magnesium rims are heavier than the Mita 7S wheels that were on it...

Thanks Matt, sounds like a nice build coming along, do you have a build thread or an IG account for it? Would love to check out the Sakebomb BBKs too.

At first, I thought you are Chris Lum or his long lost brother. You guys got the same cars and taste, almost.
You're right Hugo, Chris is my brother from another mother from even back in his S2000 days.

52911282215_ec8c2f14c1_b.jpg

Had a hell of a time finding flat caps for the 16" TEs up front but turns out Amazon "brown" ones work pretty well LOL (the rears are OE Rays of course). Just make sure you buy the 65mm ones for future reference (and not 62mm like they suggest).

AThanks Matt, sounds like a nice build coming along, do you have a build thread or an IG account for it? Would love to check out the Sakebomb BBKs too.

You're right Hugo, Chris is my brother from another mother from even back in his S2000 days.
I don’t have a build thread yet as I’m not sure it’s ”build thread worthy” but I did start an Instagram account after a number of friends and co-workers sent me pictures of my car that they found on some social media page or another. I’m definitely an Instagram newbie and need to polish it up a bit but it’s @generation_nsx if you or anyone else is curious!

I don’t have a build thread yet as I’m not sure it’s ”build thread worthy” but I did start an Instagram account after a number of friends and co-workers sent me pictures of my car that they found on some social media page or another. I’m definitely an Instagram newbie and need to polish it up a bit but it’s @generation_nsx if you or anyone else is curious!

Followed, and the car looks great! Really digging the gold Technomagnesios.

Time for a build thread! :)

53069833579_bfb98f5540_b.jpg

Finally found a NSX-R upper chassis bar on Yahoo auction (still need the lower though). The front end definitely feels tighter and more responsive, you can feel it when you get the steering loaded up in the corners.

53069843859_4ce10527ab_b.jpg

Back