• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oem/aftermarket lug nut recommendations?

Just purchased a set of 97 oem wheels. Doesn't look too good with the black lug nuts.

I checked with the local Acura dealer for oem locks/nuts...came in at $49.95 for the locks and $9.95/lug nut. ($209.15 for the set)

Any recommendations where I can get the oem locks/lugs cheaper? Or a high quality aftermarket set is fine also...

Post a for sale ad on S2ki.com. There are people on there *looking* for black NSX lug nuts recently. Just do a straight trade for their chorme ones. Likely they will have locks as well.

If that does not work out, buy used from:

Hap Recycling
(916) 638-3311

Address:

3379 Sunrise Blvd
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

Reputable and a lot cheaper than new.

HTH

I'm going to keep the stock (black) oem lug nuts as I plan on keeping my 15/16 rims.

I didn't want to buy used either.

Just wondering if there is a vendor out there that will sell new oem or aftermarket locks/lug nuts at a price cheaper than what i was quoted. I was expecting for the set to cost around $110 or so.

Call Niello Acura at 916-334-6300. If you are an NSXCA member you get a healthy discount.

Otherwise shoot Dali a message and ask if he can get better prices.

Also call these guys. They are pretty cheap. At least the locks they sell are $29 for the S2k,... which should work for the X since the lugs are the same. I am sure they can get you a better price on lugs than what you were quoted. $200 for lugs is crazy. It would be cheaper to by 5 sets of locks!!!

http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03.html
(scroll down. the locks are a ways down)

RSF944 said:
I checked with the local Acura dealer for oem locks/nuts...came in at $49.95 for the locks and $9.95/lug nut. ($209.15 for the set)

Any recommendations where I can get the oem locks/lugs cheaper? Or a high quality aftermarket set is fine also...
I don't know why the price is that high. The list price on the Honda lug nuts is around $5 each, and some places will discount from that.

Aside from the chrome vs black finish, the lug nuts are the same for all Honda/Acura cars. You can get chrome aftermarket lug nuts for $1.19 each at your local Autozone store. Ask for part number 99913 to make sure you get the acorn shaped seating surface. (I just bought some this past weekend, when I couldn't find my wheel lock key...)

If you get wheel locks from anywhere other than a Honda/Acura dealer, just make sure that they, too, have the acorn-shaped seating surface needed for all OEM Honda/Acura wheels.

P.S. I just checked the Delray Acura website and they sell the lug nuts for $4.19 or $4.75 (I'm not sure which part number is correct) and a set of wheel locks for $27.99.

Keep in mind that if you have to buy lug nuts anyway, you only need to buy 16 of them if you're also buying a set of wheel locks...

vtec888 said:
Have you seen these lug nuts?
They might be fine for aftermarket wheels, but you shouldn't use them for Honda/Acura wheels, which have a ball-shaped seating area and should have lug nuts to match.

lug_nut.jpg

I put "The System" - Gorilla Wheel Locks on my '05 NSX wheels just after I got it. This provides five wheel locks per wheel. Cost me about $65.

111.jpg

The System is available for: 4 lug wheels - 16 Wheel Locks, 5 lug wheels - 20 Wheel Locks, 6 lug wheels - 24 Wheel Locks, 8 lug wheels - 32 Wheel Locks

NSX-Tuner said:
I put "The System" - Gorilla Wheel Locks on my '05 NSX wheels just after I got it.
I assume (and hope) you got ones with an acorn (ball) shaped seating area...

nsxtasy said:
I assume (and hope) you got ones with an acorn (ball) shaped seating area...

Yes! In fact, the wheel locks that the dealer had put on weren't the (ball) shaped and didn't seat correctly.

Thanks for the replies. Niello Acura came in at $125 for the set after the NSXCA discount and shipping. Not sure why the local dealer (Tischer Acura) is charging so much.

I'll look into the gorilla system as well. How good are Gorilla lug nuts/locks compared to oem?

I thought that Acura lug nuts have a conical seat type?

RSF944 said:
I thought that Acura lug nuts have a conical seat type?
No. They are ball (spherical) shaped, often referred to as "acorn" shaped.

Take a look at those OEM wheels you just got and it should be fairly easy to see, and even easier to feel with your finger...

Attachments

• ballseat.jpg
    ballseat.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Acorn.jpg
    Acorn.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 229
RSF944 said:
Thanks for the posts. I ordered "The System" by Gorilla Locks.

Ordered it from:

Massey's Accessory Shop
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
405 239 2010 (ask for Bob)
part # 38433N

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=259&sfID2=260&productName=HONDA+LOCK&image=5840.jpg

$39.95 + $8 shipping

Found out that 'Ball Seat' and 'Acorn' are different with the 'Ball Seat' being more spherical and the 'Acorn' having a sharp angle of 60degrees from the horizantal.

I got the 'Ball Seat' and they fit perfectly. But you paid about $10 less than I did. :D While you're at it, you should consider ordering a spare key.

RSF944 said:
Found out that 'Ball Seat' and 'Acorn' are different with the 'Ball Seat' being more spherical and the 'Acorn' having a sharp angle of 60degrees from the horizantal.
If that's the way Gorilla uses those terms - and I'm not sure that it is - then they use them differently from everyone else in the industry.

Everyone else uses the term "ball seat" and "acorn seat" interchangeably. When you walk into Autozone to order lug nuts for an NSX, they ask you whether you want "acorn" or "standard" lug nuts. If you ask for acorn, what you get is the ball (spherical) shaped seating area, just as you show in your first photo above. Your second photo is called "tapered" throughout the rest of the industry.

The reason I say that I'm not sure that's how Gorilla uses those terms (even though you say it is) is this. If you go to Gorilla's website and you enter any year Honda/Acura car (excluding certain SUVs), it displays a selection of what they describe as "acorn" lug nuts, and yes, they look like your second photo. If that's the case, then not only are they using the term differently from the rest of the industry, but they are also showing the wrong lug nuts for Honda/Acura cars. The other possibility is that they are specifying the proper lug nuts but they are shown on their website with the wrong photos. In either case, it's very confusing and I think something is wrong, perhaps several somethings.

The good news is, you can easily tell whether you have the right lug nuts by looking at them. If they look ball-shaped (like the first photo above), then they're the right ones for OEM Honda/Acura wheels. If they look tapered-shaped (like the second photo above), then they're the right ones for aftermarket wheels. Sounds like you got the right ones for your wheels.

Somethings definately wrong.

After explaining the application (93 Acura NSX with 97 oem wheels), the Gorilla rep told me I needed a 71433N (Gorilla's 'Acorn' style http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=259&sfID2=260&productName=ACORN&image=5707.jpg).

The rep at Massey's corrected this and told me that I needed the 38433N (Gorilla's Ball Seat http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=259&sfID2=260&productName=HONDA+LOCK&image=5840.jpg)

Very confusing...but I ended up getting the right one.

NSX_Tuner...I called back and ordered a second key as well...Thanks.

darn it, looks like these are discontinued. any alternatives in black?

Thanks for the posts. I ordered "The System" by Gorilla Locks.

Ordered it from:

Massey's Accessory Shop
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
405 239 2010 (ask for Bob)
part # 38433N

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=259&sfID2=260&productName=HONDA+LOCK&image=5840.jpg

$39.95 + $8 shipping

Back