• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Brake Pads Discontinued?

My rear pads are nearly gone so I went to the local dealership to get replacements. The fronts are not an issue but I was told that the rear pads (43022-SL0-J03) are on backorder with no restocking date. They interpreted this as them being discontinued. I checked around with multiple outlets, both online and in person, and no one has them! I love the OEM pads and their low-dusting qualities and I want to stay with them but may have to go aftermarket. Are there any other OEM Honda/Acura pads that are interchangeable?

I expect that the OEM pads are not discontinued. Acura may have run out of inventory and with supply chain issues being what they are due to Covid 19 that is probably why they are showing no restocking date. Amayama.com still shows inventory with delivery to Canada by Dec 06- 10. If you use Amayama, check to see what is happening with deliveries to the US.

Last edited:
On backorder = they will get some but uncertain what date. A lot of parts have been backordered but showed up after a while.
Maybe the dealer was too lazy to order them while the customer might find another solution. That's the only way I can interpret his conclusion that they are said to be discontinued.

I think you are right. I contacted Tim at oemacuraparts.com and he had a similar take. They had none in stock either but he did a nationwide search and found only 1 set in the entire US and gave me a contact phone number. Unfortunately, they won't ship to my state :mad:

Very sorry for editing your post. I'm new as a moderator and somehow I've edited your post instead of answering you. I'll add my answer. Sorry for that. I jope it's the first and last time I jumped into this pitfall. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how fast you need them. On backorder means that it's not within the US but maybe they have several sets in Japan lying on the shelf. So Amayama or isicar could be able the help you fast but the shipping costs for just a set...
I've a used set at home but same problem here, I'm located in Europe...

If you need the pads now, I would check out Amayama and see what their delivery is like. I recently ordered a new turn signal cancel unit (long listed as unavailable in North America) and it arrived in a little over 1 week.

If you need them sometime in the future, ask if Tim at oemacuraparts.com will put the parts on critical back order. I did that once with my local dealer. I am not sure that it actually does anything because it took about 6 weeks for the part to arrive. It would have been faster and cheaper to order from Amayama which is why they are now my go-to because just about everything on the NSX has to be special order in at my local dealer.

Ayama is showing a delivery date by Dec 7, which is great, but the part cost is $160 US + $50 shipping is prohibitive. If I could find them in the US, the cost is under $100. Patience may be my friend here.

I think you are right. I contacted Tim at oemacuraparts.com and he had a similar take. They had none in stock either but he did a nationwide search and found only 1 set in the entire US and gave me a contact phone number. Unfortunately, they won't ship to my state :mad:

Which state is the dealership in? You may find a member that can go buy them for you and ship them to you.

If you need the pads now, I would check out Amayama and see what their delivery is like. I recently ordered a new turn signal cancel unit (long listed as unavailable in North America) and it arrived in a little over 1 week.

If you need them sometime in the future, ask if Tim at oemacuraparts.com will put the parts on critical back order. I did that once with my local dealer. I am not sure that it actually does anything because it took about 6 weeks for the part to arrive. It would have been faster and cheaper to order from Amayama which is why they are now my go-to because just about everything on the NSX has to be special order in at my local dealer.

I'm doing a big Amayama order and checked with them on shipping. They said only Fedex to the US, as EMS is still suspended.

Cobalt makes some great pads that don't dust. Plus Andie used to be a member here.

I hadn't heard of the Cobalts before. From their website, it looks like they are more track-oriented than what I am looking for. My car is mostly driven around town with the occasional "spirited" drive with the local group.

Ayama is showing a delivery date by Dec 7, which is great, but the part cost is $160 US + $50 shipping is prohibitive. If I could find them in the US, the cost is under $100. Patience may be my friend here.

That is really interesting. I have only seen that on one or two occasions that the Amayama price has exceeded the discount price in North America. In this case they did not just exceed it, the blew way past it.

I am wondering if the less than $100 price shown on the North American discounter websites is for the currently unobtainable pads and that there is price adjustment coming? If you can actually lay hands on those less than $100 pads you may want to snap them up ASAP.

That is really interesting. I have only seen that on one or two occasions that the Amayama price has exceeded the discount price in North America. In this case they did not just exceed it, the blew way past it.

I am wondering if the less than $100 price shown on the North American discounter websites is for the currently unobtainable pads and that there is price adjustment coming? If you can actually lay hands on those less than $100 pads you may want to snap them up ASAP.

Or maybe Amayama realizes they have a monopoly at the moment and adjusted their price? Prices I've seen at online US dealerships range from $88 to $97 + shipping but, of course, they are unobtanium. I asked about ordering with a critical backorder flag but Tim said it would probably not help, due to Covid

Last edited:
Or maybe Amayama realizes they have a monopoly at the moment and adjusted their price? Prices I've seen at online US dealerships range from $88 to $97 + shipping but, of course, they are unobtanium. I asked about ordering with a critical backorder flag but Tim said it would probably not help, due to Covid

Sometimes, if you include your VIN in the order, Honda will expedite. Not sure if that still works. Another great option is the Project Mu Type NS. I loved that pad on my 91- low dust and great stopping.

If you can let go of OEM I'd recommend the Hawk HPS. I run them on my E30 M3 and they are great. No noise, very little dust and rotor friendly. Tire Rack and Science of Speed have them in stock.

Last edited:
If you can let go of OEM I'd recommend the Hawk HPS. I run them on my E30 M3 and they are great. No noise, very little dust and rotor friendly. Tire Rack and Science of Speed have them in stock.

I heeded this advice and replaced the worn out OEM pads with Hawk HPS this past weekend. So far, no complaints at all. No noise but too early to make a judgement on the dusting properties. Stopping power is just as good or better than OEM. Thanks for the advice :smile:

I heeded this advice and replaced the worn out OEM pads with Hawk HPS this past weekend. So far, no complaints at all. No noise but too early to make a judgement on the dusting properties. Stopping power is just as good or better than OEM. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Definitely better than OEM. Glad you like them. They will produce slightly more dust than OEM but the trade-off is improved brake feel and stopping power. Worth it in my opinion. Best results will be found with a proper bedding. From Hawk's web site.

Street Brake Pad Burnishing/Bedding‐In Instructions:

1. To break in the new components, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30 to 35 MPH
applying moderate pressure.

2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 MPH.

3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!

4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

5. Your brakes are now ready for use and can be driven normally.

https://d3lnbxyyjzrx5m.cloudfront.net/public/uploads/instructions/How-To-Install-and-Bed-In.pdf

Last edited:
I've had great success with EBC brake pads for NSX's, both the Yellow Stuff and Red Stuff (ceramic) so maybe check their availability as well.

Back