• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM might close or stop distributing parts

I called Japan Honda parts about the NSX OEM parts. The Honda told me that OEM distribute might close do to over 30 years old. The way they told me were if we can reach the order to the point to the factory start making OEM.
Now is the time to come one team to start order to put it in back order so the factory will start making OEM!!

KEEP NSX running!!Screenshot_20230414-080929.png

Yes anything, we need to let Honda or Acura know that we NSX owners need supply to keep the NSX running.start calling them and order.

According to T3TEC, Honda will start shutting down the NSX parts supply chain around 2030. Until then, parts will still be available generally, but there might be long backorder wait times until a sufficient number of parts are ordered to warrant a production run. However, many parts that are unique or exclusive to the early cars (NA1, OBD-I) likely will be sold off with no new production. The days of ample stock on the shelf is coming to an end, but it's not yet doomsday for NSX owners.

Don't throw anything away. We'll need cores to rebuild, reverse engineer, and duplicate.

And at some point, we'll have to consider migrating to a BEV drivetrain...which I am great with. It's the lack of glass, interior/body parts, and weather stripping.

My early Ford Mustang group had these discussions back in 1990....old people doing old things and trying to keep history alive. I've decided that 30 years isn't a long time anymore.

Nice, shoot I just had replace engine parts and I might dump all taken out parts, i wasn't expected this early.
I have heard that on 2020 they will till 2030, but now they are saying not sure from Homda on yesterday so

I've been ordering!! haha... waiting 1.5 years for my 02+ ABS module too. If they cut off critical parts soon, time to sell the car for me....
you put an order for windshield? Dang 1.5 for the ABS module?, I swear then I got the conversion just in time back in 2021 July.

you put an order for windshield? Dang 1.5 for the ABS module?, I swear then I got the conversion just in time back in 2021 July.
Yeah you're lucky to get your conversion done already! No windshield for me. I'm perfectly fine with aftermarket there (I do have the OEM windshield seals already though). But I've just received over $2k in OEM parts from Amayama for my transmission and interior. Waiting for the ABS Module. Stuff like clutches is not a big deal because there's aftermarket support, but I'll probably end up ordering new control arms for all 4 corners sooner than later. Electronics like window switches and window regulators would be good to order as well. Stuff that is specific to NSX and wears easily, like the door handles, sashes and coolant tank would be good to have on hand too...

Yeah you're lucky to get your conversion done already! No windshield for me. I'm perfectly fine with aftermarket there (I do have the OEM windshield seals already though). But I've just received over $2k in OEM parts from Amayama for my transmission and interior. Waiting for the ABS Module. Stuff like clutches is not a big deal because there's aftermarket support, but I'll probably end up ordering new control arms for all 4 corners sooner than later. Electronics like window switches and window regulators would be good to order as well. Stuff that is specific to NSX and wears easily, like the door handles, sashes and coolant tank would be good to have on hand too...
Good call on the control arms and window regulators. I think SOS makes a pretty good door handle. I heard some people have trouble sourcing the rear tie rods. I am just afraid to store too many parts with plastic or rubber that will degrade over time in my garage.

Good call on the control arms and window regulators. I think SOS makes a pretty good door handle. I heard some people have trouble sourcing the rear tie rods. I am just afraid to store too many parts with plastic or rubber that will degrade over time in my garage.
i have the machined SOS interior door handle--should last the life of the car. The exterior door handle is the one I'm talking about would be good to have spares for, since the rubber portion is that part that cracks all the time. Rear tie rods can be purchased aftermarket as well so i wouldn't worry too much about that unless you want OEM in particular. Yes rubber and plastic degrades over time, but i would not worry too much about that either unless your garage constantly sees extreme temps in either direction. Just store in enclosed storage in your garage and should be fine for many years.

The OEM blue glass (including windows and rear partition) for the 91-96 is still available. The manufacturer is in Japan, so JDM Honda has access.

I called Japan Honda parts about the NSX OEM parts. The Honda told me that OEM distribute might close do to over 30 years old. The way they told me were if we can reach the order to the point to the factory start making OEM.
Now is the time to come one team to start order to put it in back order so the factory will start making OEM!!

KEEP NSX running!!View attachment 179733
I will volunteer to start a database and accept *very small* deposits in an escrow account or something to show we are serious of people who can start proving that there's enough demand from NSX owners to make some key parts that need replacement over time regardless of how they are driven, etc. I could probably work in conjunction with key repair facilities such as DRIVING AMBITION, SOS, etc. and I would focus on the US Market. Please DM me with any thoughts. I have the time and skills to make this happen ASAP.

I will volunteer to start a database and accept *very small* deposits in an escrow account or something to show we are serious of people who can start proving that there's enough demand from NSX owners to make some key parts that need replacement over time regardless of how they are driven, etc. I could probably work in conjunction with key repair facilities such as DRIVING AMBITION, SOS, etc. and I would focus on the US Market. Please DM me with any thoughts. I have the time and skills to make this happen ASAP.
PS - I just received a HONDA windshield for 25% off of the $2600 list price a few months ago and it took over year to source and get someone to agree to install a 97 windshield (green glass) in a 1991 since Honda decided NOT to list the 97 part # as being ok/supeceeding the now *ZERO STOCK* 1991 glass. Just to show you that I am paying attention and also have access to 2 major Acura parts managers in the SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley which is where a VERY LARGE percentage of the original NSX's were sold.

Curious, I've always wondered why everyone is so keen on an OEM windshield. Is there something special about it that aftermarket cannot replicate? (not sarcasm)
There are at least 4 issues in the current market:
1. Some of the aftermarket windshields do NOT have the cutout for the VIN, therefore it makes it obvious that it's not "bone stock" if that's what someone is after for their own satisfaction or to increase the resale value.
2. Due to the low overall production #'s of NSX, it can be next to impossible to obtain a "Non-OEM" windshield as well due to the fact that mfg don't want to waste the time producing and stocking it.
3. There are some heat, glare, thickness, and other engineering issues that make the OEM windshield superior from an engineering standpoint to MANY of the after market models, but not necessarily warranting the order of magnitude (non-oem glass can be as cheap as $300, vs $1750 to over 3K including shipping from Japan for OEM.
4. Given the precise fit, it's not easy to find an installer doing insurance work or some other "low income to the installer" type of job that will keep an NSX owner satisfied with the completed job. I've seen and heard horror stories of "so much glue" that you can see the overflow. It also requires getting into areas of the car that might "never be right" if done wrong.

I'm happy with mine, but I actually drive my car not just park it in the garage or take to C&C so it can be just "one truck tire throwing a rock away" from more drama again and I am looking into anything I might due to inject some prevention into the glass (and "just as rare" moldings".
Feel free to ponder or weigh in. I ended up inspiring some others to pursue OEM glass, but alas, the one issue that kept me from goin that route, is that shipping a giant piece of glass from Japan with the wrong vendor can result in a very expensive box of imported broken glass.

ATR are known good vendors. Just make sure to get ALL of the moldings AND clips. If you are going to spend that much on the glass, don't be too cheap to get the rest since 30 year old (or insert your car's age here) plastic WILL be brittle and WILL break at least in one spot or one or two clips minimum.

There are at least 4 issues in the current market:
1. Some of the aftermarket windshields do NOT have the cutout for the VIN, therefore it makes it obvious that it's not "bone stock" if that's what someone is after for their own satisfaction or to increase the resale value.
2. Due to the low overall production #'s of NSX, it can be next to impossible to obtain a "Non-OEM" windshield as well due to the fact that mfg don't want to waste the time producing and stocking it.
3. There are some heat, glare, thickness, and other engineering issues that make the OEM windshield superior from an engineering standpoint to MANY of the after market models, but not necessarily warranting the order of magnitude (non-oem glass can be as cheap as $300, vs $1750 to over 3K including shipping from Japan for OEM.
4. Given the precise fit, it's not easy to find an installer doing insurance work or some other "low income to the installer" type of job that will keep an NSX owner satisfied with the completed job. I've seen and heard horror stories of "so much glue" that you can see the overflow. It also requires getting into areas of the car that might "never be right" if done wrong.

I'm happy with mine, but I actually drive my car not just park it in the garage or take to C&C so it can be just "one truck tire throwing a rock away" from more drama again and I am looking into anything I might due to inject some prevention into the glass (and "just as rare" moldings".
Feel free to ponder or weigh in. I ended up inspiring some others to pursue OEM glass, but alas, the one issue that kept me from goin that route, is that shipping a giant piece of glass from Japan with the wrong vendor can result in a very expensive box of imported broken glass.

ATR are known good vendors. Just make sure to get ALL of the moldings AND clips. If you are going to spend that much on the glass, don't be too cheap to get the rest since 30 year old (or insert your car's age here) plastic WILL be brittle and WILL break at least in one spot or one or two clips minimum.
Thanks for the response.

I only ask because I've seen numerous people post up WTB's for OEM glass ONLY and won't consider aftermarket at all.
My car came with aftermarket glass when I bought it (no vin cutout) and it's been fine. No glare issues, no fitment issues, nothing wrong whatsoever. However it also came with a crack in it so I will be putting a new w/s in eventually and will likely go with Safelite as long as they have it.

I've actually never had any issues with aftermarket glass in any of my cars. The most recent replacement was my 2015 Lexus and I told the local shop I was concerned about getting a good quality replacement and didn't want waves in it. They were gracious enough to bring in 2 different brands for me to choose from and they were both excellent. And they even showed me (before removing my cracked oem glass) that the OEM had waves in it. My mind was blown because I never noticed it up to that point. So, it's my belief that there are a lot of good aftermarket brands out there. Now whether there are good aftermarket brands for the NSX specifically is unknown to me (well I know of at least one....the one currently on my car which has a "NM" logo on it). Could be true that glass is hard to find, but I wouldn't know because I haven't begun shopping yet. I guess I'll find out when I call Safelite.

As for the lack of VIN cutout, I can see that being a deal breaker for some who want to stay OEM or OEM-like. Personally, I couldn't care less either way. I mean, back in the day we used to hide our vin numbers with business cards because it was seen as security issue having your full VIN on display.

Thanks for the response.

I only ask because I've seen numerous people post up WTB's for OEM glass ONLY and won't consider aftermarket at all.
There is a thread about windshields ( https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/windshield-replacement-oem-glass-no-longer-available.202691/ ) which has a few well known members say they have Fuyao glass, my local safelite can get that one and the price isn't too bad. The key is to order the molding pieces so they don't use aftermarket which I guess doesn't fit as well.

I suspect that Fuyao would correct the lack of a Public VIN window. It is a requirement of NHTSA. And Fuyao aims to be the highest-quality glass manufacturer in the world. Might even be able to convince them to make the door glass too.

I think we're all going to have to start working on reproducing parts and banding together to get MOQs from OEMs.

Does anybody know if the JP OEM suppliers respond to boutique low MOQ requests?

My requests to Alpine, Nippon Seiki, and Tokai Rika have gone unanswered, but I can't determine if that is because I can't converse in Japanese. I was able to get Sumitomo to help me out, but they have an American presence and I was able to communicate in English.

Last edited:
I think we're all going to have to start working on reproducing parts and banding together to get MOQs from OEMs.
I think we've got a few possibilities for parts in the future.

- Group buys of X parts by supporting vendors (MITA/SOS).
- Honda doing another parts run for some parts like they did for the S2K (30th anniversary would have been a good time for this...seems unlikely)
- 3D printing of plastic parts, and hopefully metal parts as that tech improves/costs come down.

I have seen some videos of really cool shops in the UK which rebuild/remake parts for older Jags and Aston Martins and Im wondering if those places will pop up for older JDM cars.

I also wonder how many shops like Mugen/HKS/Etc have some black stock of NSX parts/engine parts?

Back