• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Short Gears; Recommendation

Hi All,

I'm interested in finding some information regarding shorter gearing for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears of my 92' NSX. I asked the Acura dealer about it, and they can't get me the Honda OEM NSX-R short gear kit here in Canada. As the car was just sent in for service today(dreaded snap ring countershaft failure affecting my transmission - yes, it's in the range listed in the bulletin), and is having the transmission serviced, I wish to act promptly on having a kit shipped up to Canada - or purchased here, if possible.

I want to avoid any other upgrades apart from the shorter gears themselves, including differential gearing, as all I am interested in is staying in VTEC range during 1st-2nd shifting - the labor, transmission work, and gears are breaking the bank as it is. I also realize that if there is any time to do performance clutch or differential gearing, this is it. I simply can not afford it at this time, despite having to pay labour again in the future should I wish to go back and accomplish these further upgrades. :frown:

Thanks everyone for your consideration and input on the matter, I look forward to hearing about purchasing options. Any other opinions on the matter are, of course, always welcome! thanks again! :biggrin:

ps. My apologies if this thread was started in the wrong area... this looked like the best place :smile:

SOS has them and you can find out more here: Short Gears

My extreme thanks to all the responses, particularly Larry B, SoCalDude, and goldNSX. You guys are really something, I don't know where we would all be without prompt, accurate help from people like yourselves. You really help keep the community alive and flourishing!

I was able to get in contact with Brian at SoS and they have the 4.23 NSX-R final drive, as well as the NSX-R short gears coming in 2 weeks. I contacted the Acura dealer and they're willing to make concessions and wait the 2-3 weeks it will take for delivery. I'm so excited, looks like I'll be shifting a lot more than usual... :biggrin:

I have yet to finalize payment with SoS, so if anyone should have any major concerns, please, let me know. I plan to follow through with the purchase otherwise. Thanks again to all involved.

Im glad it worked out so far for you. I agree, this is a very active bvoard with lots of people that are ready and willing to help out. I have had alot of good experiences here.

SOS is a great company. You should have no issues at all (except for good ones! :).

For what its worth, the short gears only change 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear ratios.

1st will still be "tall" and 5th will be the same - which is probably good for highway use. No matter what 2nd gear I have, I always feel its not the ideal one. Too tall for one corner and too short for another. :) Such is road racing.

For what its worth, the short gears only change 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear ratios.

1st will still be "tall" and 5th will be the same - which is probably good for highway use. No matter what 2nd gear I have, I always feel its not the ideal one. Too tall for one corner and too short for another. :) Such is road racing.

I had no clue they change 4th also.:mad: I want short gear dangit.

I would be very interested in your results after you got the short gears.
Please let us know how the car feels.

Completely different! :D

@LogicBomb: Thanks! I'm sure you're gonna like it. Very good choice! :wink:

I had no clue they change 4th also.:mad: I want short gear dangit.

It's not an earthshaking difference indeed but together with the 4.23 the shorter 4th 'feels' similar to the 3rd gear before.

I have the short gears and the final drive in my car and I love it, one of the best mods to do in my mind (besides big brakes). At 8000rpm in 5th the car hits 180mph (we did it on the dyno) so it makes sense what they were aiming for. You will love them!

I have the short gears and the final drive in my car and I love it, one of the best mods to do in my mind

+1 I replaced mine due to a snapring issue. If you need gears or trans work they are a must. To do just to do I would say save for a FI system

shorter gears will always make a car faster if top speed is not a consideration. shifting too many times can fubar that, but brrp, bbrp, brrp, is always better. this is simply because hp is torque divided by time. time, time, time. formula 1 teams are consantly improving shift times to nearly .1 of a second. that's because over 70 laps it makes a difference. to you, if you don't mind the higher rpms at highway speeds and you can shift fast, the car will be faster. pro stock shifts 5 times and runs 6s. the reality check here is that most people also drive their cars on the street. second for SoS.

shorter gears will always make a car faster if top speed is not a consideration.
Your statement may be true about shorter gearing in general, but is absolutely NOT true regarding the "short gears" for the NSX. The short gears for the NSX (i.e. replacing second through fourth gears) reduce the spacing between the lower gears, and increase the spacing between the upper gears. As a result, overall they make the car accelerate faster below 70 mph, and accelerate slower above 70 mph.

I'd say 100 mph as you have to shift to 4th then.
To be precise, the shorter gears are faster at all speeds at which you are in the same gear with each setup, and the stock gears are faster at all speeds which the short gears force you into a higher gear while you can be in the lower gear with the stock gears. Overall, though, the original statement is correct; the stock gears are faster above 70 mph and the short gears are faster below 70 mph. A bone stock five-speed '91 NSX will accelerate 0-70 in 6.59 seconds and 70-150 in 31.19 seconds. An otherwise-identical car with short gears will accelerate 0-70 in 6.27 seconds and 70-150 in 32.14 seconds.

Short gear installation is the biggest bang for you buck upgrade for the 5 speed manual with a NA engine. Since you also had snap ring failure, you will also notice a huge improvement once they repair your transmission. Basically, the car will feel a lot better.

To be precise, the shorter gears are faster at all speeds at which you are in the same gear with each setup, and the stock gears are faster at all speeds which the short gears force you into a higher gear while you can be in the lower gear with the stock gears. Overall, though, the original statement is correct; the stock gears are faster above 70 mph and the short gears are faster below 70 mph. A bone stock five-speed '91 NSX will accelerate 0-70 in 6.59 seconds and 70-150 in 31.19 seconds. An otherwise-identical car with short gears will accelerate 0-70 in 6.27 seconds and 70-150 in 32.14 seconds.

How does it change it when you throw in the NSX-R ring and pinion with the short gears?

Short gear installation is the biggest bang for you buck upgrade for the 5 speed manual with a NA engine.
Absolutely NOT true, in terms of measured performance. However, because they lower the shift points, so that you will be shifting sooner, they may give you the perception that the car is accelerating faster, so that perceived difference tends to be greater than the actual acceleration gains, which are small indeed.

So headers on a 94 NSX should be close to short gears in terms of 0 to 70 ??
In terms of actual measured acceleration, that's correct.

How does it change it when you throw in the NSX-R ring and pinion with the short gears?
Well, 0-70 times get worse, but that's because the shorter ring and pinion requires an extra shift to third gear before reaching 70 mph. 1/4 mile times are probably a better reflection of overall performance:

'91 with stock gears: 13.67 seconds
'91 with short gears: 13.56 seconds
'91 with short gears and 4.235 R&P: 13.48 seconds
'91 with stock gears and 15 added horsepower: 13.35 seconds

So headers on a 94 NSX should be close to short gears in terms of 0 to 70 ??

The other indirect result is less weight. IMO putting the car on a diet is better and cheaper than short gears. Swaping headers exhaust battery spare tire, you not only gain horsepower but drop 75-100lbs. Ofcourse you can continue another 50-75lbs by changing seats etc...

Keep in mind the factory 5 speed goes 80mph in second while NA2 70mph, however by reving beyond 6k faster your utilizing the additional 20hp after vtec kicks in, propelling you faster.

Dropping 100 pounds from the weight of an otherwise stock '91 NSX reduces 1/4 mile times from 13.67 seconds to 13.51 seconds.

Not only that you will add 10hp since changing the headers and exhaust and while dropping weight these changes should also improve gas mileage (normal driving), trackability, less wear on suspension, tires marginably.

Back