• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Official Ayrton Senna Tribute thread"

R.I.P. Ayrton
800px-Ayrton_senna_capacete.jpg

Perhaps the greatest racing driver the world has ever seen.

This You Tube clip of him in the NSX Type R is classic. Just watch his feet. The throttle control is unbelievable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UARCEqmEZk4

Utter respect. RIP Ayrton.

That's a classic. Heel-toeing in $1,000 Bruno Magli loafers...:biggrin:

The below picture should put to rest any debate about what Senna really drove and how much he cared about his NSX...

sennawashingNSX.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps the greatest racing driver the world has ever seen.

This You Tube clip of him in the NSX Type R is classic. Just watch his feet. The throttle control is unbelievable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UARCEqmEZk4

Utter respect. RIP Ayrton.

Two things come to mind after watching that:

1) Did he even warm it up before he did a huge burnout :eek:

2) Are those white socks and pennyloafers he is driving in??? :cool:

I have been a Senna fan since he got in F1 My car shows it here is a pic of between my seats.

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 787
SORRY for the delay!! senna pic!! Senna says Never look back unless you can laugh !! never look forward unless you can dream!!

Attachments

• AYRTON SENNA 001.jpg
    AYRTON SENNA 001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 126
  • AYRTON SENNA 002.jpg
    AYRTON SENNA 002.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 100
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvPalfZRBWA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvPalfZRBWA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here are a few more, including a higher resolution version of Ayrton washing his NSX. :smile:

Attachments

• 85porgp85-pr-senna.jpg
    85porgp85-pr-senna.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 104
  • ayrton 11.jpg
    ayrton 11.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 101
  • helmet1.jpg
    helmet1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Senna_NSX_High_Resolution.jpg
    Senna_NSX_High_Resolution.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 90
Considering a sabbatical from Formula 1 in 1993, Senna did a test drive for Marlboro Team Penske of Indycar racing.

Attachments

• senna26cars9.jpg
    senna26cars9.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 709
First, a disclaimer. Ayrton Senna was my hero. I am a chest surgeon, and I do some trauma work, and have had an interest in both the life and death of Senna. If you are at all squeamish, DON'T look at these photos of Senna's helmet after the crash.

For those that are interested, Dr. Sid Watkins was the medical head of F1 for many years, and was himself a neurosurgeon. He was a close friend of Ayrton Senna, and was the doctor seen tending to him directly at the trackside. He wrote of this experience in his book "Life at the Limit":

"We supported Ayrton's neck and removed his helmet," he wrote. "He looked serene. I raised his eyelids and it was clear from his pupils that he had a massive brain injury. We lifted him from the cockpit and laid him on the ground.

"As we did, he sighed and although I am totally agnostic, I felt his soul departed at that moment."

He performed a trackside tracheostomy right there as Senna had ceased breathing to secure his airway with a likely high spinal/base of skull injury. That in and of itself is not an easy feat, I can tell you. Sid actually saved Mika Hakkinen at Adelaide in 1995 when he performed the same trackside trach. The man was good.

Senna died, according to his MDs, of 1) penetrating injury to the frontal lobe (probably from the broken suspension piece when the R front wheel came loose) 2) basilar skull fx 3) Axonal shear from the contra-coup "whiplash" effect of the brain slamming back opposite the forward impact. It was #3 that caused them to turn off all life support, when brain swelling became a problem.

Axonal shear is what ultimately undoes many many high speed auto and motorcycle crash victims, and there is very very little we can do for it. No medical care system on the planet could have fixed that---unlike Lady Diana, who died unnecessarily, but that's a whole DIFFERENT story that almost nobody knows...what a screw up that was.

Like I said, don't look at these if you are squeamish.

The first photo shows the helmet with the visor down. The hole you see in the upper left of the photo is NOT the one related to the penetrating injury-- that is simply a front plastic vent piece that popped out during the impact. Focus instead on the two opposing yellow arrows below this; they outline the puncture of the visor itself. Second photo shows Ayrton's skull injuries, and the final photo graphically demonstrates the severe impact on the right front of the helmet, causing signifcant deformity. These injuries were just too devastating for him to have any reasonable chance of recovery, but F1 is better now because of his death. We now have the safety tethers on the wheels to prevent them flying off and causing mayhem. The HANS units help prevent cervical spine and base of skull fractures. The sidewalls of the cars have been built up around the vulnerable drivers' heads.
Senna did not die in vain. The drivers can thank him every day now they live horrifying crashes, like Kubica's crash at Canada last year.

Saudade, Senna.

I know I quietly pay tribute from the driver's seat of the car you so carefully tested, influenced, and loved.

Attachments

• picf3-1.jpg
    picf3-1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 244
  • picf3-1b.jpg
    picf3-1b.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 247
  • picf3-2.jpg
    picf3-2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
one more. sorry about the size.

Great article. Can you imagine?

The BBC ran a documentary on A Year in The Life Of Mclaren. It was the year that Honda departed and Mclaren was using the Ford customer engines. Senna finished 2nd in the championship in a car way behind the Williams.

He also spotted a sticking valve spring by the noise at full chat while testing at Silverstone. the mechanics were reluctant to change it as the telemitry said it was fine. Ron Dennis replied "if he says it faulty change it". The problem was only diagnosed when the engine was stripped down.

In 1993 he won in the wet at Donnington Park. After a poor start he was fifth at the first corner. Donnington is ight and tricky but Senna was sublime and by the end of the first lap was in the lead. Only one other car was still on the same lap as him by the end, but 80 seconds behind. This included the great Michael Schumacher.

Incredible drive, incredible driver! :wink::biggrin:

http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/features/donin93.html

Back