• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Analysis results.. speculation over, science in, and why that titanium content?

With all the debate on "which is the best oil" and "how long should I run it for" and what are ways I can test the health of my engine, I thought I'd do a couple of oil tests, stop speculating and see the results.

2 sets of tests attached, one with every interesting results. OEM tall oil filter on both.

1.) Mobil1 10W-30 Syn. 1500-2000 miles from a trip up from LA - Seattle. Mainly freeway driving with some stop n go and some, though relatively few boosting. When wife drove, she averaged 23 MPG on the freeway. Most of the time when I drive, I get 10 - 15 MPG :) Like I said, I did some boosting, twistys, but in general much lighter than the average day :)

In short, fairly super readings. Terry @ Dyson asked when the motor was rebuilt (it has about 90K) I said, I don't think it has been...

Highlights:
*Most wear items are low/0.
*Resisted fuel dillution very well.
*Some glycol which is questionable, but went away on the next reading.

Hypothesis:
A.) Good proof that "Mobil 1 is good enough." Under normal wear n tear on N/A nice driving mode, 3000, even 5000 easy miles should be no problem.

2.) Amsoil 10W-30 Synthetic. Amsoil is considered by many, including Terry who has done thousands of oil analysis, to be a very excellent oil, with better characteristics than Mobil 1. Results are from a 6+ month period about 3000 miles between June & January. Much of driving was stop n go/WOT, 2 AM in 30F and less. Not your average day... In short, oil took quite a pounding and not the results I wanted it to be. However, the oil also sat in a bottle for over a month in garage, sub 30F meantime picking up moisture skewing the results somewhat.

Highlights/Lowlights:
*High fuel dillution.
*Sheared to 5W-20 (fuel dillution is part of the problem)
*High silicone content - suggests clogged air filter.
*Unexpected Vanadium content.
*Worse: 7 PPM titanium content.

Hypothesis:
*3000 miles and 6 months on this type of conditions, even with Amsoil is too much. Changing it at 1500 miles would have been better.
*I have the Uni Filter. I'm lazy at maintaining it.. too much work, hard to get it right, and it seems like you have to do it every 3000 miles or less. It was about 7000 miles old. This is why I went to stock filter recently :)
*Given aftermarket fuel management, While "Hi-Boost" SC, a lot more fuel dillution will occur and affect the oil. However, see below which might also explain more fuel..
*I have 100 octane in a barrel tha I mix every now n then. Apparently these barrels can get vanadium in them.. and I think I picked some up.
*I replaced my fuel filter for good measure.

A few caveats/stupid mistakes:
*As soon as I saw the titanium content, I started digging in. There are only two titanium components (afaik) in the car - the rod, and aftermarket retainers n valve springs (bleah, by the previous owner..)
-Pulled the plugs. They were carbon fouled, as 10k miles before. From talking to Shad n others, not too unexpected and not necessarily bad b/c well, the car does go through a lot of fuel at WOT...
--IN ADDITION, cylinder #2 coil was loose :eek: :eek: Bad, bad... it was loose about a couple of inches up... :eek: Pulled the plug and it was "brownish/red" at the top.
Also, my valve cover plates are removed, the seals around the hatch are wearing out and while I try to use a towel to cover the rear bank, I still get water/moisture in there. Need to fix this..
--IN ADDITION, I remember that the #1 cylinder about 9 months ago... I had replaced the spark plugs but damaged 1 while handling it. I put 5 in, drove the car a few days and then replaced #1. The car was misfiring during this process... I didn't think it was that big of a deal but apparently, I learned later from John Zahn, that the misfire was pinging and unburnt fuel was washing down teh cylinder wall. Woops :redface:
-Next, Did a compression check. 5 cylinders came in at 200-210, the #1 cylinder @ 185-190--Numbers in general are very strong, but the fact that 1 year ago #1was also in the 200-210 range says that it's not good. 20 psi difference does not make me happy. Above detail can expain why..
--Had ZahnTec do a leakdown test. 120 PSI pushed down each cylinder. All but #2 came in at 15%. #2 came in at 20%. All within NSX specs. I'm told that these numbers are "higher" than a lot of shops b/c they don't often pump as much psi in the cylinders. Added a little bit of oil at the top of the cylinder, and everything was very close - suggestions leakage past the piston rings (washed down cylinder..)
--He also did a comp check and similar results as mine, 230 in 5, 210 in #1 but it's the difference in our gauge;his tends to be inflated a little bit than others (snap-on, go figure..)

So, stupidity caused me damage in cylinder #1 & #2, affected the oil, but it's not catastrophic. By most measures, it's "still pretty good." I'm bumming, but based on those results, I don't need a tear-down.

This still doesn't solve the most important issues... where is the titanium coming from?
A few possibilites:
1.) During high-rpm driving/bouncing off the rev-limiter, one of the titanium retainer had too much stress/rubbed and resulted in temporary content. A new oil analysis will tell us if this is the case.
2.) Permanetly rubbing/snapped titanium retainer. Shad told me these aftermarket pieces have gone bad before.... Damn, STOCK IS BEST!
3.) Snapped Rod. Doubt it b/c if the rod goes, you'll know, you'll hear it, and the titanium content would be through the roof. 7 ppm is a lot more than 0/1, but it ain't ..100 or more.
4) As per titaniumdave, crank Thrust Washer out of spec, touching the crank journals and causing particles from the titanium to end up in the oil.
5.) Fill in the blank: ____________

Unfortunately, I can't validate 2,3 or 4 without taking the motor and head apart which I'm not looking forward to what's going to be ~$1000 in labor alone... Car had valve adjustment 15K miles ago and Zahn doesn't hear/believe it needs another adjustment.

Thoughts welcome. Please don't turn this into a "my oil is better than your oil" thread though!

Attachments

• Amsoil.pdf
    150.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Mobil 1.pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Blackstone 2nd sample.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
This still doesn't solve the most important issues... where is the titanium coming from?

http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cach...s+titanium+-aircraft&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

"Titanium - Turbine Components, Paint "

Maybe part of your supercharger has titanium in it?

Hypothesis:

It looks like your results for Amsoil are the same as mine for Redline. It's not a good oil for daily use. You iron shows 35% more wear. Aluminum is 100% more wear. etc.

Does this mean a NSX using Amsoil will wear out after 100,000 miles instead of 300,000 miles? I don't know. But I don't see the logic in using it.

http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cach...s+titanium+-aircraft&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

"Titanium - Turbine Components, Paint "

Maybe part of your supercharger has titanium in it?

It looks like your results for Amsoil are the same as mine for Redline. It's not a good oil for daily use. You iron shows 35% more wear. Aluminum is 100% more wear. etc.

Does this mean a NSX using Amsoil will wear out after 100,000 miles instead of 300,000 miles? I don't know. But I don't see the logic in using it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Supercharger. I'm doubting it b/c the SC oil analysis came out with 0 titanium.

As far as Amsoil vs the rest.. I don't want to get into an oil wear debate.

Terry @ Dyson agrees that the oil just took a beating. Many studies have shown that Amsoil is at least as good as Mobil1 so consider it Mobil1++

I have used Blackstone labs for years and the Mobil 1 Syn 10W/30 seems to do well all within expected margins. With CTSC, Shad tried the Motul 5W/40 oil and we tested that as well with 3500 miles of several good tracks events and daily driving; one of the track events was on a hot day. With the CTSC, I added 3 qts Accusump and an oil cooler (which worked) all at the same time. It is a 98-T with 51K miles when the Motul oil was tested for the first time this February 08.

The findings were again consistent with expectations of such a weight. However, the viscosity improved - as one would expect - at both 210F (65.6 vs 58 before) and 100F (11.78 vs 9.81). The flash point remained at 415F. Titanium appeared for the first time as 1 part of whatever the denominator is, whereas before it has always been 0. Lead did spike a bit to 8 but they are not concerned yet. Motul has 1/3 less calcium but almost 3 times more Magnesium - they are detergent/dispersant. Molybdenum almost fell by more than half of what Mobil 1 read.

Overall my Mobil 1 readings for the same 10W/30 weight are somewhat different than yours, and I have several samples from prior years showing relatively same consistent numbers across. What you want is consistent numbers in the additives and minimal amounts of the metals. But your flash point for Amsoil seems quite low.

HTH/YMMV.

.. Titanium appeared for the first time as 1 part of whatever the denominator is, whereas before it has always been 0.
HTH/YMMV.

Interesting... was it always zero afterwards? I should be getting results soon so we'll see what my ti reading is then. <Hopeful> :cool:

Interesting... was it always zero afterwards? I should be getting results soon so we'll see what my ti reading is then. <Hopeful> :cool:

It was always zero before with Mobil 1. This is the first oil analysis since the CTSC was installed with 3500 miles on the Motul oil. But again, only 1 part ..... next oil analysis will probably be in 4-5 months :wink:

simple....the titanium is from the valve retainers...they wear a lot....not in the NSX, but in my B18C engine, i had all the valvetrain by JUN...and after 40000kms...the retainers were thin as a hair at the base of the outter spring.

simple....the titanium is from the valve retainers...they wear a lot....not in the NSX, but in my B18C engine, i had all the valvetrain by JUN...and after 40000kms...the retainers were thin as a hair at the base of the outter spring.

And then what? Can this cause catasthrophic failure?

I imagine a little wear and tear might be ok though this may or may not be the case...

Question: Can they be inspected for failure without taking the head off, just the valve covers?

I know/been told you have to take the head off to replace them - but inspection would help eliminate the guessing.

Thrust washers if there gone possible for the crank to hit the rods? check end play? just my 2c.

Brian

And then what? Can this cause catasthrophic failure?

well.... yes and no.

the thing is that in the B18C, the JUN springs were "dual", with this i mean that for each valve there is 2 springs, one inside the other.

These JUN springs are very strong, a lot stiffer than OEM. The JUN titanium retainer have a thinner seat for the outer spring. When that seat was all shaved, the outter spring became loose and a lot of noise came from the valvetrain. The engine was stopped as soon as the noise was heard..very few seconds.

Then, just with the valve cover off, all the retainers were inspected.. from the 16 the B18C have, 4 were loose and the other 12 were just as thin as a paper... it would take much more time dor them to fail. There were no consequences for the engine, just because the inner spring kept the valve from falling to it's doom.

In the NSX, i don't know if there are aftermark dual springs sets. But in the B18C, it's best to use OEM retainers and aftermark springs to prevent floating with high lift camshafts.

hope that it helps.

Thanks unhunz.

That is my thinking too. We can't hear any suspicious valvetrain noise, though with the SC on top, loud exhaust etc.. it's kinda tough.

Experienced NSX mechanics - Can someoen confirm that you can inspect the retainers by taking only the valve cover off? Also, isn't it possible to replace the parts if you're really careful and not let the valve drop? It seems to me like this isn't a bad idea, cuz if it drop it, you just take the head off which you would have done anyway.

Saves a lot of time with taking the SC on/off etc..

Thanks.

Last edited:
We can't hear any suspicious valvetrain noise, though with the SC on top, loud exhaust etc.. it's kinda tough.

No it's not :wink: ...believe me...you'll hear it... imagine having gravel in a can and then shake it like there is no tomorrow...that's the noise you'll hear behind your head :wink: :wink:

about the retainers titanium vs oem.... i think that the purpouse of the titanium ones is to reduce the weight in the valvetrain and by that, compensate the lost by installing stiffer springs, that by itself make you loose power but are necessary to get safety using more agressive camshafts.

in the case of the NSX, i think there is no real consequence using the oem retainers, because usually there isn't a big increase in rpm above the stock 8000rpms.

As i understand this aftermark spring/retainers thing works, basically speaking, like this:

- stiffer springs prevent valve floating with a faster(duration) and higher profile (lift) camshafts
- titanium retainers reduce weight to compensate performance lost with stiffer springs. At very high rpm (like 10000rpms in my B18C) they may help the valvetrain keep dealing with the fast "hammering" the camshafts are doing.

well...i hope i expressed myself well enough :biggrin: :biggrin:

thanks,
Nuno

So.... can we use the oem retainers for the dual spring setup sold by sos?

Henry.

From speaking to John Zahn (and subsequently SOS), No b/c the interface with the spring is different. You need to buy the entire kit.

Also - here's an update:
Titanium is still in the oil. At the same rate and higher / mileage (eg 8 PPM / 1000 miles vs 7 PPM / 1500-2000 miles) We still have a major problem.

A stock valve spring retainer retails for $3.84. This entire problem exists b/c the previous knucklehead thought that swapping a $3.84 cent OEM part is a good idea. Calling around and speaking with Larry B (John Zahn that is) & Shad when the retainer eventually fails, they can (and have in the past) take out the engine + SC etc...

So damn, an engine rebuild is necessary... It's a matter of whether I want to continue driving and risk it failing and taking out the engine, and SC, or do it now. My gut and limited wisdom tell me I should not take chances..

The question now is.... what parts are we going with, ?

My current plan is:
Stock spring/retainers.
Check for piston integrity. Re-ring the pistons.
Hone the cylinder walls.
ARP components such as...bolts?
Swap to AEM FIC and re-tune.
If funds allow: Autorotor.
If funds allow: Inner/Aftercooler.

Shad says he thinks he can get ~400RWHP (I'm around 375sh right now..) with stock components and doesn't recommend too many after-market parts (CASE IN POINT!) unless going for a serious 500+RWHP build.

Thoughts welcome. Thanks

PS: If you are reading this and have titanium retainers in your car (or any other aftermarket titanium piece..) do an oil analysis and consider taking those pos parts out to save yourself an engine. I'm "lucky" to have caught this before this inevvidability which would have been a lot more expensive than what it's already going to be.

Last edited:
I want to change out thse Ti retainers, what are my options? Please help :confused:

From speaking to John Zahn (and subsequently SOS), No b/c the interface with the spring is different. You need to buy the entire kit.

It sounds like if you want to go back to stock you will need to buy stock springs and retainers. The intake has 2 springs per valve, the exhaust has 1 spring per valve, so looks like you'll need 12 of each. All 24 retainers are the same. The valve cotters and spring seats are probably original.

There are tools out there for replacing springs and seals with the engine in the car, but I'm not sure if there are any compressors that work with the limited space of the NSX. Anyone know?

It sounds like if you want to go back to stock you will need to buy stock springs and retainers. The intake has 2 springs per valve, the exhaust has 1 spring per valve, so looks like you'll need 12 of each. All 24 retainers are the same. The valve cotters and spring seats are probably original.

There are tools out there for replacing springs and seals with the engine in the car, but I'm not sure if there are any compressors that work with the limited space of the NSX. Anyone know?

Mine is a '91 and if I'm not mistaken, there's only 1 spring per valve. I think I still have all the old oem springs/retainer lying around somewhere. Does 3.2L uses 2 springs per valve?

I wonder if I can use the oem valve spring/retainer with the sos cam? :confused:

How about custom making a set of retainers out of billet or something? Possible??

Henry.

Mine is a '91 and if I'm not mistaken, there's only 1 spring per valve.
Yes, if you have an automatic transmission. Download the service manual.

I think I still have all the old oem springs/retainer lying around somewhere. Does 3.2L uses 2 springs per valve?
The 3.2 uses the same part numbers.

I wonder if I can use the oem valve spring/retainer with the sos cam? :confused:
You should call SOS.

How about custom making a set of retainers out of billet or something? Possible??
Billet aluminum? Wouldn't that be worse than titanium?

Yes, if you have an automatic transmission. Download the service manual.

The 3.2 uses the same part numbers.

You should call SOS.

Billet aluminum? Wouldn't that be worse than titanium?

2 valve springs eh? hmmm.....

I emailed Sos, waiting for Chris to reply.

I did some more research, Ti retainers do wear and need to be monitored closely. Chromoly steel seems to be a more reliable choice of material for the retainers. Anybody knows where I can custom make some chromoly retainers?

Henry.

"--IN ADDITION, I remember that the #1 cylinder about 9 months ago... I had replaced the spark plugs but damaged 1 while handling it. I put 5 in, drove the car a few days and then replaced #1. The car was misfiring during this process... I didn't think it was that big of a deal but apparently, I learned later from John Zahn, that the misfire was pinging and unburnt fuel was washing down teh cylinder wall."

Can the misfiring in a few days cause this much problems on #1 cylinder? I would think that the fuel would be pushed out from the exhaust valves. It would probably overheat the cats due to the unburned fuel.

Furthermore, the oil would get on the cylinder wall each stroke to lubricate it.

Just curious...:confused:

Back