• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Change

unless you go by "slim" it would be pretty hard to do. My car is lowered and I'm not the biggest guy on the block and I have a hard time reaching around the tire and getting to the drain ...forget about it.

I don't relish the idea of crawling under any car supported by any jack. I'm average size and have changed my oil a number of times without jacking up the car. The filter is fairly easily accessed from behind the right rear wheel and the drain plug from in front of the wheel.

Originally posted by westernb4:
I don't relish the idea of crawling under any car supported by any jack. I'm average size and have changed my oil a number of times without jacking up the car. The filter is fairly easily accessed from behind the right rear wheel and the drain plug from in front of the wheel.

I'm impressed! But I don't understand the concern. Four jack stands will run you as little as $25 total (Wallmart has two sizes, the small ones are more than adequate and run ~$12/pair). Nothing short of a tornado will knock a car off stands if you are on reasonably level ground with a solid footing (concrete, asphalt etc.) and properly placed stands. Once set, the risk is non-existent unless someone runs their car into yours.

I guess you could also use one of those oil-sucking pumps that go down the dipstick hole. I think Griots sells one.

There's several guys here who use that method.

Of course, you should still change the filter, though.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I use a pair of metal ramps, any auto store carries them for probably less than $25. Just back the car unto them and you will have plenty of room to play. Oil changes on the NSX are the easiest of any car I've owned.

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the oil filter without making a mess? The orientation of the filter (hanging down) causes oil to run out and go everywhere when you try to remove it-- very messy! Perhaps attaching a plastic bag around the filter as it's removed would contain the oil?

Originally posted by Tom Kehoe:
I use a pair of metal ramps, any auto store carries them for probably less than $25. Just back the car unto them and you will have plenty of room to play. Oil changes on the NSX are the easiest of any car I've owned.

I'm thinking you don't get all the oil out if the rear is that much higher than the front.

Originally posted by sjs:
I'm thinking you don't get all the oil out if the rear is that much higher than the front.

This is correct because the oil drain is on the rear of the pan, thus not allowing the oil to be completely drained if the rear of the car is driven onto ramps. I have found it the simplest to jack the car up and remove the wheel. Access the filter and drain plug are very easy and the entire process shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Furthermore, when you are under there you can give the exhaust and suspension a quick cleaning

Originally posted by Saturn:
Is it necessary to take the rear wheel out to access the drain bolt or filter?

To get the filter out, unles you have a lift, yes. It really does make the entire procedure much easier and less stressful. Besides, I like tinkering around under the car every so often.

Just buy one of those oil sucking vacuum pumps from Griot's Garage and forget about jacks, jack stands and everything else. It will take all the oil out of your car. You can reach for the filter easily after removing the right rear tire with minimum jack up. I pulled the oil drain plug after sucking the oil out with my Griot's garage vacuum pump and nothing came out. Best thing I've ever bought to make oil changing easier.

I agree the Griot's oil extractor is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It extracts the oil down to the last drop! After extracting the oil, I jack the rear wheel up, but I don't remove it; there is enough clearance to use a creeper and remove the filter.
10122_LG.jpg

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

You've got to be kidding! Unless you are as concerned with your khakis looking as prissy as the Griot's Garage picture allows, just jack the car and do it by hand. It took me longer to get the right filter than to change the damn thing. That is BEFORE I realized how easy it is after removing the right rear wheel. The Swedish Penis Pump (or whatever it is) looks like fun but is entirely overkill for this vehicle.

Originally posted by Juice:
You've got to be kidding! Unless you are as concerned with your khakis looking as prissy as the Griot's Garage picture allows, just jack the car and do it by hand...

Don't knock it until you try it.
smile.gif
The pump pulls out about 1/4 quart more oil than draining.

For DIY oil change visit: http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/oil_change/oil_change.htm

See everyone real soon!
DanO

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 14 October 2001).]

If you use the pump, do you still need to replace the crush washer? I couldn't tell from the directions, it seemed to suggest you still did, because replacing the crush washer was step 6.

If you remove the oil drain plug then you need to replace the crush washer because the old one is crushed.

-Jim

Originally posted by hyuan:
If you use the pump, do you still need to replace the crush washer? I couldn't tell from the directions, it seemed to suggest you still did, because replacing the crush washer was step 6.

If you use the pump you DO NOT need to replace the crush washer becasue you DO NOT need to remove the drain plug.

I'll try and re-write the directions to make this a little more clear.

Thanks for the input,
DanO

Pour it down the sewer. J/K

If you have a DicsountAuto Parts store or similar near you, they have a recycling bin that you can dump your oil into. I use an old 7 gal glass water bottle and when it gets close to the top, I recycle it.

BTW, don't store used oil in a plastic water bottle, it will disolve it. I learned this the hard way and it looked the Valdez crased in my garage.

Back