• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil/filter change capacity?

I've got a '91 and I've downloaded a PDF of the '91 FSM. Why does the manual say an oil and filter change requires 5.3 US qts. and on the air box there's a label that says 4.5? Which is correct?

Just did an oil and filter change on my 2000. A measured 5 l brings the oil level on the dip stick right to the very top of the fill mark.

Most people fill 5 in the engine and then check the dipstick to top off. Others will fill the filter before install to get the 0.3.

I have owned my car for a few weeks short of twelve years. I've added a grand total of 13K miles to the 9K it had on it when I got it. This year was just 300 miles. Don't think I need to change my oil every three months. I'll keep abusing my car and changing the oil yearly.😎

I've got a '91 and I've downloaded a PDF of the '91 FSM. Why does the manual say an oil and filter change requires 5.3 US qts. and on the air box there's a label that says 4.5? Which is correct?
There isn't mention of the 4.5 anywhere in the service manual so I'm not sure where that number comes from. I've also dug around online and can only find it where people are asking where the 4.5 number comes from. :)

@Superhatch you got me curious, too, and so I looked up my mistake: page 3-4 of the FSM says 6.7 qts for....an engine overhaul. [HASH=48]#facepalm[/HASH]. @Randall Harmon what is the link between mpg and oil change frequency? LOL that's a new one on me. You do you, but if you change your oil every 3 months you're throwing money away. Then again, if you can put 3K miles on in 3 months, good on you, but I wouldn't even change my oil every 3K miles. Like @The King I'm in the annual category for all my "fun" cars. None of them see more than 4K-5K, and even that's unusual.

@Superhatch oh yeah, I shoulda read my original post LOL. Why does my airbox say that? I do know the PO had a K&N filter on it and prior to the sale put the stock airbox back on it. It fits the NSX paper filter perfectly, so I assume it's a OE NSX airbox, but maybe not? I don't know if there are other airboxes that are interchangeable? That's the only thing I can think of. And I have it up on a lift with a car beneath, so I cannot easily double-check, but doubt I misread it....

@Superhatch oh yeah, I shoulda read my original post LOL. Why does my airbox say that? I do know the PO had a K&N filter on it and prior to the sale put the stock airbox back on it. It fits the NSX paper filter perfectly, so I assume it's a OE NSX airbox, but maybe not? I don't know if there are other airboxes that are interchangeable? That's the only thing I can think of. And I have it up on a lift with a car beneath, so I cannot easily double-check, but doubt I misread it....
The airbox is bespoke to the NSX. It may be as simple as a misprint on a run of stickers. Or Honda/Acura used the sticker for another car on the NSX airbox cover by accident (whether at the factory or during service)

in the owners manual it states that it is 5.3 if you are changing the oil filter and 4.5 if you are not changing the filter. Not sure why you would want to change the oil without the filter.. but this is the answer to the 4.5 airbox sticker problem.2A84CC66-ABEE-4B70-8DF6-F78F0F4E8768.jpeg

Last edited:
@Honcho not so fast LOL: does the filter and its plumbing hold .8 qts of oil?! This still doesn't add up in my book....

Back