• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil question for track junkies.

This question is for those who track their NSX. I was thinking of getting a Dali radiator with built in oil cooler but I'm concerned about the stock oil pump handling the extra distance to pump oil to the front radiator to cool. Also running all that tubing could invite trouble. The next choice would be the Science of Speed rear fender oil cooler. This seems the most practical but does anyone have experience with it's performance? Has anyone who tracks their car used either of these products and what changes have you recorded?

Unless you are building a full track car with a supercharger or turbo a bigger rad and oil cooler are unnecessary.

Hi Brian,
I asked the question because I do have a Supercharger, track my car and see the temperature gauge rising. Water temp has hit 225 before I slowed down but I don't know what the oil temp is doing. Just hoping to hear from someone who tracks their car, has the same problem and purchased a oil cooler/radiator cooler and has corrected the problem.

Hi Brian,
I asked the question because I do have a Supercharger, track my car and see the temperature gauge rising. Water temp has hit 225 before I slowed down but I don't know what the oil temp is doing. Just hoping to hear from someone who tracks their car, has the same problem and purchased a oil cooler/radiator cooler and has corrected the problem.
225 is hot, I would start trying to drop temps at 215-220, bad things start happening beyond 230. Try putting a lower temp thermostat as the stock ones tend to run high.

I had the Dali oil and water radiator, sold it, and went to the strictly water Ron Davis radiator. Never hooked up the oil cooler b/c I had the some of the same concerns as you did (lots of ss line). Both cured my temp issues at the track - the temp gauge rarely went above normal unless I was in a long HPDE session (around 30 minutes or so). Since then, I've added the SoS oil cooler and an ARC oil pan. Total oil is 11 qts which should help combat oil temp as well.

I had some big problems with buying from Dali and ordered the 2nd Ron Davis radiator straight from Ron Davis themselves. They make a nice fan and shroud for the NSX. FWIW and YMMV, but the original oil/water radiator purchases from Dali took 6 months to actually get.

Here's some linkage and a pic:

ACURA-NSX.jpg

I track my car frequently. :)

My car is a 1995 NSX with a supercharged 3L motor.
I have the driving ambitions under tray/splitter.
I have a vented VIS hood and a dual pass radiator from driving ambitions.
I have the stock thermostat and use 50/50 coolant/H2O and water wetter.
I have an acusump oil accumulator and a Setrab 13 row oil cooler in the side vent in front of the passenger rear wheel.
Currently am using the Canton adapter block to retain the stock water to oil cooler.

I have a set of SPA digital gauges.

With the above setup the max temp the gauges recorded were
181 H2O, 221 Oil. Outside air temp was around 90 deg.

Previously I was using the Comptech oil adapter that installs in place of the stock water to oil exchanger.
With this setup my Oil temp was 255. Water temp was about the same.

Another advantage of using the Canton adaptor block is the car will warm up faster since the water will heat the oil using the stock water to oil heat exchanger. Again I still have a thermostat.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Don

225 is hot, I would start trying to drop temps at 215-220, bad things start happening beyond 230. Try putting a lower temp thermostat as the stock ones tend to run high.

I once had seens 230 for a few seconds while idling changing the coolant.. didn't get all the bleeders done right.

Is this anything to be concerned of you think?

Also - why not just run a higher water coolant mix like 70/30 or even 80/20. This still gives you plenty of freezing protection for anything but the North Pole. I've heard, and tested, that even 100% water under pressure decreases the freezing point (eg < 0 C). so you're safe.

What this will do is increase heat transfer though decrease boil temp which means that if you do get high temps.. it can dissipate. However, WaterWetter can bring up the boil temp and monitoring it should be ok.

I'd suggest trying this first before going super duper radiator with risks.

Last edited:
I once had seens 230 for a few seconds while idling changing the coolant.. didn't get all the bleeders done right.

Is this anything to be concerned of you think?

Also - why not just run a higher water coolant mix like 70/30 or even 80/20. This still gives you plenty of freezing protection for anything but the North Pole. I've heard, and tested, that even 100% water under pressure decreases the freezing point (>0 C). so you're safe.

What this will do is increase heat transfer though decrease boil temp which means that if you do get high temps.. it can dissipate. However, WaterWetter can bring up the boil temp and monitoring it should be ok.

I'd suggest trying this first before going super duper radiator with risks.
You're fine.

+1 on WatterWetter - good stuff.

Back