• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil spitting out of rear valve cover

I thought I had solved this issue on my LoveFab turboed car but during a track meeting last sunday the problem reappeared.
My solution involved routing the rear valve cover hose to a catch can (vented to air) routed on the right side of the car.
The front valve cover has a hose coming out of the PCV hole plugged into a Moroso catch can that routes the fumes out in the air ( not politically correct for sure!)
The idea was that any oil flowing out of the rear valve cover during hard right hand corners would stop as the hose bends back to the right side of the car on it's route to the catch can.
Well it works on the road but when driven hard at high rpm in tight corners the oil ends up in the catch can and gets sprayed out of the catch can filter!
You can imagine the mess!
Two solutions were proposed by DAL racing many years ago.
The first one basically plugs the hole on the rear valve cover and the engine breathes only through the front valve cover (through the PCV hole) to the catch can ( located as high as possible).
Nothing wrong with that but I noticed that even at idle there is a slight pressure build up from the rear valve cover?
Their second solution basically connects both valve covers together through a new hole in the front valve cover and the fumes are routed through the PCV hole in the same way as previously described.
Has anyone tried these solutions?
Last but not least I believe the valve covers were redesigned for the NA2's?
Are these plug and play on the NA1 engines?
Here's a picture of the rear valve cover catch can:

IMG_2612.JPG

Last edited:
While I was cleaning the mess due to the oil spray, I decided to test the value of using only one valve cover breather exit.
Easy enough, I put my lips around the rear valve cover hose and blew into it...
Well, impossible to blow any air through the engine!
After some short troubleshooting, I discovered that the plastic 90° elbow exiting the front PCV valve hole had melted with the heat.
This explains why all the blow by gasses were forced through the rear valve cover hose into the catch can that filled up very quickly before spraying oil through the filter.
I subsequentely removed the 90° elbow and stuck the appropriate hose directly into the PCV hole outlet.
Another track meeting will be necessary to determine if the issue is fixed?
The good news is that worse case I can plug the rear valve cover.

While I was cleaning the mess due to the oil spray, I decided to test the value of using only one valve cover breather exit.
Easy enough, I put my lips around the rear valve cover hose and blew into it...
Well, impossible to blow any air through the engine!
After some short troubleshooting, I discovered that the plastic 90° elbow exiting the front PCV valve hole had melted with the heat.
This explains why all the blow by gasses were forced through the rear valve cover hose into the catch can that filled up very quickly before spraying oil through the filter.
I subsequentely removed the 90° elbow and stuck the appropriate hose directly into the PCV hole outlet.
Another track meeting will be necessary to determine if the issue is fixed?
The good news is that worse case I can plug the rear valve cover.

You did it! Good detective work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back