• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OK, Drove 350 miles to look at '98 and need your help!

I made the trip to Cleveland today with my wife (we live in the D.C. area) to see this '98 Blk/blk (9500 miles) that I have been researching for about a week. The owner (2nd) was very nice but described the car a little differently than actual. (By the way the original owner is a close friend of this owner, and is the owner of an Acura dealership in another state--if that is important). I found about 15-20 paint flaws around the car (only a few of concern). I also found the front left "tie-down" hook bent at about 15-20 degrees inward. He was unaware of the reason.

The interior is perfect.

When I started the engine, I was concerned because it idled rather rough and tapping a little (I have a '87 Legend Coupe that is quiet as mouse). I figured it needed to be driven, so my wife and I took it out for a spin. There was NO problem with the way it ran, although I did not feel or hear the v-tec kick in (just may be my ignorance).

When we returned (about 20 miles later), the engine still idled slightly rough and was still tapping (more than I like).

Does the rough idle or tapping bother any of you? Do your cars idle slightly rough or tap?

I really like the car, but over $60K is a lot of money, and I would have to have it certified by an Acura mechanic before laying out that kind of cash.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks...Rick

I don't know about a rough idle, but the engine tends to be a bit loud until warmed up which can take 5-10 minutes. It always takes a few miles on the way to work every morning before the engine quiets down and sounds normal. It seems to purposely run at higher rpms until warm to reach it's normal operating temperature which is just below the half way point in my 92. The engine is definitely louder until it's warm. Sorry if this isn't what you're referring to, but just in case.

Originally posted by tabasco:

I really like the car, but over $60K is a lot of money,

OK so $60K for a '98 with only 9800 miles on it. hmm kind of cheap

You SHOULD get the car inspected thru an Acura dealer (it will cost you around $200) so you can feel better..

Originally posted by HapaHaole:
OK so $60K for a '98 with only 9800 miles on it. hmm kind of cheap

You SHOULD get the car inspected thru an Acura dealer (it will cost you around $200) so you can feel better..

I totally agree something doesn't seem right. I'd do two things. Find out who did the service. You might also want to consider paying to having your local tech go with you to inspect the car or participate in the inspection with the dealer where the car is located.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

The tapping may be valve chatter, which is a common element on the NSX. The valves may just need to be adjusted. A good NSX tech will be able to distinguish that.

The rough idle, however, sounds odd.

60k isn't THAT cheap, but is a good deal.

I would suggest e-mailing the NE or Mid-West NSXCA (more info here: www.nsxca.com) for a member's recommendation on a great Acura shop in the area. Sounds like the car is nice, but a good inspection is a good idea. Have them look at the bolts on the rear and front quarter and fender panels (these are on the edge of the panel, 2 10MM bolt per side.) This is a good place to start to look to see if the panel was removed for paintwork.

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Two suggestions:

1. Try driving an NSX in your area and see if it sounds the same to you. Make sure it's cold when you first get into it.

2. Have the dealer in Cleveland do an inspection on it. Be willing to pay for it.

I'll send you a private e-mail to put you in touch with an owner in your area.

I would suggest e-mailing the NE or Mid-West NSXCA (more info here: www.nsxca.com) for a member's recommendation on a great Acura shop in the area.

That link didn't work because of the parentheses. Try http://www.nsxca.com or http://www.nsxca.org

There are two Acura dealers in Cleveland but I know some of the folks go to Park Acura in Akron for service. Park Acura seems to be more NSX-focused.

When I started the engine, I was concerned because it idled rather rough and tapping a little (I have a '87 Legend Coupe that is quiet as mouse).

I heard from a reliable source that any V6 engine with VTEC will not idle as good as the V6 no VTEC. A passenger pointed out my car's idle is not smooth and that is the explanation I received from a very reliable source.

Originally posted by Khuang:

I heard from a reliable source that any V6 engine with VTEC will not idle as good as the V6 no VTEC.

Hmm well that is funny that the cams for VTEC dont activate till you lift it so how can you tell?.. oh well.

I noticed the NSX to be rough compared to a few other higher end Luxury cars.. Yet as far as sports / performance cars go it is normal to be a little bit on the rought side on idle.. my '92 does it all the time cold/warm

[This message has been edited by HapaHaole (edited 21 March 2001).]

The chips are probably from the deteriating roads up there as a result of the foul weather. I just bought a 92 from an individual in cleveland. Same story, car had low mi (32000) and in exc shape but not the chip free surface you might find on a low mi florida car. I had it inspected at Acura Motorcars---was not completely impressed with their service.

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 22 March 2001).]

The chips are probably from the deteriating roads up there as a result of the foul weather.

Not true. For the most part, potholes (the biggest reflection of deteriorating roads from foul weather) don't create the road debris that creates chips. Bent wheels, well, that's a different story.

I think the biggest thing that creates chips is gravel on the road - and unless you habitually drive on gravel roads, this is most often caused by road construction. If you're in a construction zone, or following a gravel truck on its way to a construction zone, you have the option to follow close behind the vehicle in front of you or to leave plenty of distance. If you follow too closely in these situations, that will surely create chips. And I would bet the greater number of chips is due to a lower level of discretion by the previous owner in these circumstances.

$.02

Originally posted by Lee:
... but not the chip free surface you might find on a low mi florida car.

Actually, Florida is much worse than the northeast in terms of "chips". In the past year, no matter how far back I stay from another car or truck, I find at least 2 new chips every day. With the amount of construction in Florida, and the way people cut in front of you, the only way to avoid getting chips is to leave the car in the garage.

Florida cars do have an advantage in not being exposed to the road salt used on snowy roads up north. However, rust is only a problem on MOST cars, not on ALL cars...
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have decided to NOT purchase this Cleveland NSX. There was something very "fishy" about the history of the car. When the owner tells you who the original owner was (supposedly an old friend) and gives you his name and number, AND you call the original owner and he claims he never owned the car, then I WALK
eek.gif

Anyway, still looking. If any one knows of a real nice low mileage RED, SILVER or BLACK NSX-T ('97+ preferred) then please yell
biggrin.gif
:. Willing to travel within reason from the D.C. area.

Thanks much...Rick

I have a friend in the DC area that is selling his 1998 NSX-T. It is red with black leather. It has the keyless entry and CD changer options. He just put four new tires on the car. The car has 35K miles. The last I checked, about a week ago, he was selling it for a REALLY great price!
Contact me at [email protected] and I can send you his name and number.

Originally posted by dudro:
I have a friend in the DC area that is selling his 1998 NSX-T...

Dudro,

I saw his car just now. You are right, it is real nice. I will see it again this weekend, may be mine by this time next week.

Thanks

Back