• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Olympic Fail (BSOD at games)

http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-scr...nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting

olympicepicfailhy5.jpg

Fake fireworks...fake anthem singer...maybe they had a fake copy of Windows causing the BSOD. :biggrin:

Don't forget China's underage gymnasts.

Hadn't caught the blue screen one yet, but damn. We've been joking at work that maybe all of those people performing at the ceremony were computer generated using Massive.

Perhaps all of their athletes are robots.

What's next?

Last edited:
...and knock off Nikes, Louis Vuitton bags, Rolexs, Ed Hardy shirts, etc...

American gymnasts= young woman . Chinese gymnasts=prepubesence :rolleyes: 16 my arse:confused: At least they look to feed the men:frown:

Fake fireworks...fake anthem singer...maybe they had a fake copy of Windows causing the BSOD. :biggrin:

The fireworks actually happened... they were re-generated for tv broadcast because there is really no way for a camera from a helicopter to capture the led up fireworks to the stadium. You can see people video tapes of actual fireworks on youtube... or so I read.

and 16 or not, I thought that guy was really reaching when he said how there is an inherent advantage in that a 13 or 14 year old are oblivious to the pressure.

Last edited:
I'm stupid. I don't get what this is about. What is BSOD?

Is younger age really an advantage in gymnastics?

If you are say, 13/14, vs. 16/17, I would guess the 13/14 year old would actually be at a disadvantage, because they have 3-4 years less of training and experience, and they are not as fully developed, and thus not as strong as their older counterparts. Many of those moves require much strength and skill, meaning the older person would have the advantage? :confused:

Is younger age really an advantage in gymnastics?

If you are say, 13/14, vs. 16/17, I would guess the 13/14 year old would actually be at a disadvantage, because they have 3-4 years less of training and experience, and they are not as fully developed, and thus not as strong as their older counterparts. Many of those moves require much strength and skill, meaning the older person would have the advantage? :confused:

Another perspective, it's even more embarrasing the US team lost to much younger, less experienced competitor. I wouldn't be screaming about the other team has under age athletes, but rather look at what we're not doing and learn from the better team.

Another perspective, it's even more embarrasing the US team lost to much younger, less experienced competitor. I wouldn't be screaming about the other team has under age athletes, but rather look at what we're not doing and learn from the better team.

If you watched the US team yesterday, they clearly made many bad mistakes in their routines. That has nothing to do with the age of your competitors for sure.

Actually, is it just me, or are all the teams making more mistakes than they did in years past? Is it that the bar is just raised so high now, that they must do more and more difficult routines that teams wouldn't have attempted in years past? Or are the older generations from the '80s and '90s just that much better?

I think it is the responsibility of the IOC to follow-up on any accusations of underage children competing at this level. It is well documented that some countries turn chidren in to athletic slaves. In this case, everyone who sees one of these gymnasts knows that they are not 16yrs old. Furthermore it would be very easy to determine thier age by taking a orthopantogram.

Not to digress off the bsod topic but from a kinestheology perspective the biomechanics of the prepubesent ie android pelvis of the chinese allows quicker more controlled rotation and flexability.I agree our girls may be stronger but static strength is only one part in the equation.

I have a simple proposition: Make the minimum age requirement 18.
This will deter cheating. Under 18 is virtual (and real) child abuse.

You know these children start training at the age of 4-6 right?

Shawn Johnson started at her current coaches gym at the age of 6.

It takes YEARS to get to that level. Banning competing while allowing training if pointless; and banning training AND competing before 18 means no one will be good at gymanstics.

I have a simple proposition: Make the minimum age requirement 18.
This will deter cheating. Under 18 is virtual (and real) child abuse.
Better idea: get rid of the age requirement altogether.

If there had been the age requirement in 1976, the world would have been denied Nadia Comaneci. She was 14 in Montreal.

It wasn't needed then; it's not needed now.

Better idea: get rid of the age requirement altogether.

If there had been the age requirement in 1976, the world would have been denied Nadia Comaneci. She was 14 in Montreal.

It wasn't needed then; it's not needed now.

+1

I think what a lot of people don't know is that there wasn't always an age min.

An age restriction isn't even sufficient to prevent the advantages (e.g. more flexibility, lighter, etc.) they claim an athlete may have. I mean, if you really wanted to get rid of these factors, you'd have to separate the gymnasts into different weight/height classes. They do weight classes in wrestling and boxing to make it more fair. They don't do it by age.

So then you'd have to separate the short and the tall, the light and the heavier. Sounds like a bad idea.

If age were a serious factor, what is the point in separating a 14 y/o from a 15 y/o when you have bigger age differences such as between Shawn Johnson (16) and Alicia Sacramone (20). There was even a Russian gymnast competing for Germany who was 30+ and had a child already.

And what a lot of people don't know is that the official rules do not state you must be 16 by the games.

The official rules state you must turn 16 by the end of the calender year of the Olympics. That means if you turn 16 by December 31, 2008--and you are 15 y/o--you are eligible to compete in the Olympics.

In other words, 15 y/os are allowed to compete.

Last edited:
Back