• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

? On Leather Seats

Are there 2 different types of leather used on the OEM seats? I have a Black/Black '91 and the center section of the seats (meaning the parts my rear end and back rest against) seem to be a different material. While the side bolsters, and to some extent, the seat seem to be "soft" the center seems to be much rougher, almost a plastic like texture.

If it is all the same leather should I just continue to use the Griot's Garage Leather Rejuvinator I am currently applying?

Thanks for any replys!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

There's only one type of leather, although some parts (like the center portions of the seats and the door panels) are stitched as gathered (with folds in it) rather than smooth. However, keep in mind that many of the pieces of the seats are not leather, but vinyl, as explained in the FAQ. Typically, the surfaces that your body comes into contact with - like the headrest, the center of the back and seat bottom, and the side bolsters - are leather, whereas the rest - like the back side of the seat back - are vinyl.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 31 March 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
There's only one type of leather, although some parts (like the center portions of the seats and the door panels) are stitched as gathered (with folds in it) rather than smooth.

Thanks Ken,

I probably didn't word my question in the best way. The sections in question (on my car) seem to have a different texture. While I would consider the headrest and side bolsters "smooth", the back rest feels like you could almost strike a match against it.

Also, in the FAQ it says that a urethane coating has been put over the dye - so leather conditioner will not work. Am I just wasting my time and money using the Griot's Garage Leather Rejuvinator?

Thanks to all

------------------
'91 Black/Black

The different textures maybe due drying out of the leather in question. Maybe try a conditioner on the leather and see if they equal out in texture.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I noticed that about my seats a while ago, too. it seems that every other patch is a different texture. They all look the same, but if you feel them, some are softer than others.

I looked at a 97 with black int. I noticed that the leather at the top end of the drivers seatback bolster was very dry and rough; not cracked, but hard and rough. The leather in my new 01 is soft and uniform in texture. I've heard about the urathane coating but I can tell you that when I apply Lexol conditioner, it soaks in and goes somewhere. I will continue to condition my seats twice a year and hopefully, they will not harden like the 97. Another guy I talked to swears that by putting lexol on the side bolster once a month, that it will not show wear. This is the part of the seat you usually rub against getting in and out. Many cars i've seen show wear at this point. I'm following his advice; I figure it can't hurt and Lexol is cheap. YMMV

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Back