• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"One Lap Billy" YouTube Channel

Hey guys,

I just started a YouTube channel: "One Lap Billy".

These videos will typically be of me setting a lap time on my first lap EVER in a bunch of different cars. I will also talk about my impressions on each car and sometimes go over some lap data analysis. Let me know what you think and if this interests you, hit the "Subscribe" button!

Intro:

Breaking the Viper ACR's Track Record in a McLaren 600LT:

720S vs 600LT:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
awesome glad to see you doing more pov performance driving..BTW you should post up a quick summary of your pro drives this year esp Daytona!!!

awesome glad to see you doing more pov performance driving..BTW you should post up a quick summary of your pro drives this year esp Daytona!!!

+2

...and I subbed a while ago when you announced on FB. Anxiously awaiting more content. It’s a unique idea.

love to hear your thoughts on racing the Mercedes front engine vs the Ford 350/500. And your overall impressions of those vs the midengine racers like the Ford GT...

Thank you all for the replies!

love to hear your thoughts on racing the Mercedes front engine vs the Ford 350/500. And your overall impressions of those vs the midengine racers like the Ford GT...
I was racing the #28 Alegra Motorsports Mercedes AMG GT3 in the 24 Hours of Daytona. We had a strong effort and had the performance to be able to win it this year, but we had some setbacks that put us a few laps down. We are going into the 12 Hours of Sebring next month and i'm optimistic about our performance there.

The Mercedes layout is much like a Viper (which i'm a big fan of). It has a fantastic weight distribution, great suspension layout, the entire engine is behind the front wheel centerline, it has a big engine, and overall, is the optimal front engine rear drive layout. It drives a bit like a Viper, and they're often set up like the Pratt & Miller Corvettes in terms of being soft, compliant, and roll around a little.

By comparison the GT350/GT500 are more like most FR layouts where the entire engine isn't behind the front wheel centerline, the weight distribution isn't as good, they are heavier cars, but through a lot of work, they are excellent and high-achieving performers.

The Ford GT drives like a formula car or prototype. It's very precise, has a lot of downforce, and is quite a bit different of a driving experience, even compared to other MR cars. The closest thing to the GT that i've driven is that McLaren 600LT, but even still, it doesn't have the same level of "formula car" feeling as the GT, even though the purity of the driving experience is closer than anything else i've driven.

awesome thankyou for hitting all points....so would you buy a Mac over say a NC1???? for your personal car...

awesome thankyou for hitting all points....so would you buy a Mac over say a NC1???? for your personal car...
I'm just a car guy. I love an can appreciate almost any car, and their strengths/benefits. I also can pick apart about all the things wrong with any car, if I wanted to be pessimistic.

I just need to hit the lotto so I can buy everything, lol. But to answer your question, a car that bests fits ME, especially given what I do/use cars for/etc... won't be the same for you, or likely anyone else. This becomes even more so when you consider someone's car stable, what they like, etc... A weekend toy that feels like a race car is completely different from a car that is taken to the track, which is different from a sporty daily driver. Some people want to be beat up and have the drama of a race car, while others want to be comfortable and effortlessly go fast.

If you really care about "MY" personal car, I'd rather have my (soon to be) turbocharged NA NSX over either of them.

exactly..I want your opinion because you have the life experience(with cars) that I can only dream about . I have some track skills but they sadly are atrophied due to life...you have the rare combo of critical thinking/good communication skills/time in the gym so to speak.I really appreciate your involvement in prime and the nsx which we all love new and old. So keep it going! BTW I still love my 300 hp bee with the type R suspension...dash creaks and moans and all...

If you want a futuristic mid-engine hybrid that feels more exotic with the engine behind you, get the NC1. If you want a raw, raucous (but refined) German Viper, get the AMG GT. I've only tracked the GTS and GT-R, but I hear both those sport models are more like a GT3 in terms of being hard-edged and harsh.

This is subjective and maybe their expectations were the AMG should be like an SL in terms of ride quality. I don't know first hand how the GTs are on the street, but I often daily a 991.2 GT3 and I think that's perfectly acceptable and nowhere near as harsh as say a Lamborghini Performante.

Drive both and see what you like better. But the AMG might have more excitement and "occasion" while the NSX might be a more luxurious daily driver. If youre looking for excitement, the NC1 can be viewed as boring, but others might be excited about all the hybrid features and that keeps their attention and interest. So it's all relative.

Lol If I am to get an NC1 I will have to see about the GT3 motorsports suspension and steel brakes....

I like the Type R mindset for street cars. I'm reading that the carbon brake discs have to be changed when they reach a certain weight and some folks have had to make that change after 1 year of track days...probably 10 days...and that is at least an 8k expense...of course I could be overthinking and overcheaping...

You won't wear them out when street driving. Track driving absolutely you'll want to put the iron rotors on since the OEM rotors are more like $15k+. Or you can get Surface Transforms carbon brakes that will last 60ish track days for around $12K.

I like the Type R mindset for street cars. I'm reading that the carbon brake discs have to be changed when they reach a certain weight and some folks have had to make that change after 1 year of track days...probably 10 days...and that is at least an 8k expense...of course I could be overthinking and overcheaping...

The factory NC1 suspension system is already very, very good. Much different compared to the 91 OEM vs NSX-R. Better to spend the suspension $$$ on finding 50kg to take out of the car. I'd also go with iron rotors.

hmmm so if I remove my pec implants....:redface:

Great entertainment, I've subscribed to your channel on You Tube.
A couple of comments, I remember as a passenger in a 991 GT3 that the experienced driver was very cautious in applying a lot of throttle out of a medium speed corner?
I believe this is in line with your comment about the unpredictable first version of the rear wheel steer of the 911's?
Here's an example of what can happen when the rear let's go on a GT3 RS.
You might know the driver, Christophe Tinseau, who participated in many Le Mans (France) races.
You have to watch at 1'15 when he catches a nasty oversteer at 210 km/h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI4sjO_R7kc
Coming back to the NSX world, you amazed me with your stock NSX at Buttonwillow!
Will please share the spring rates you have on your KW clubsport shocks?
What roll bars do you use?

Great entertainment, I've subscribed to your channel on You Tube.
A couple of comments, I remember as a passenger in a 991 GT3 that the experienced driver was very cautious in applying a lot of throttle out of a medium speed corner?
I believe this is in line with your comment about the unpredictable first version of the rear wheel steer of the 911's?
Here's an example of what can happen when the rear let's go on a GT3 RS.
You might know the driver, Christophe Tinseau, who participated in many Le Mans (France) races.
You have to watch at 1'15 when he catches a nasty oversteer at 210 km/h

Coming back to the NSX world, you amazed me with your stock NSX at Buttonwillow!
Will please share the spring rates you have on your KW clubsport shocks?
What roll bars do you use?
That oversteer wasn't bad and was due to him letting off the throttle over a crest. Letting off the throttle and unloading the rear-engine 911 often makes the rear light and unstable, combined that with the whole car getting light over the crest of the hill, and that braking zone is one to be very careful of your inputs. I'd be interested in knowing if the rear wing was adjusted for more downforce.

I have essentially NSX-R spring rates, a stock front bar (which is too soft) and a Zanardi rear bar, but less than -2* of rear camber. It's really important to take camber out of the rear of the NSX due to the significant camber-gain of the rear geometry, especially when the car is lowered.

I'm currently designing new front spindles to fix the front geometry to raise the front roll center in lowered cars, so they don't need insanely stiff front springs and swaybars to compensate for the lack of front roll resistance from the low front roll center. This will allow the cars to have softer front springs and bars while retaining the balance and lack of roll. My car is far from ideal, but when I get a slightly stiffer front bar and raise the front roll center, it'll be significantly better.

enjoying your hot laps...one thing I noticed on the GT3 RS video ..you did not mention the car's tire pressures..I know you are very cognoscente of that wondering what they were.If the rears were too high maybe that was another reason for the looseness...

enjoying your hot laps...one thing I noticed on the GT3 RS video ..you did not mention the car's tire pressures..I know you are very cognoscente of that wondering what they were.If the rears were too high maybe that was another reason for the looseness...
Thanks! In this video I did not check the pressures (I normally do), but I've driven multiple GT3 RS' since making this video and setting the pressures correctly as well as multiple GT2 RS' before the video and the oversteer is a common theme due to a lack of rear downforce when the wing is trimmed out.

Back