• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions on a car (not an NSX sorry)

There's a '99 MB C230K with 75k miles on it locally pretty cheap. I'm pretty tempted by it and have always had a soft spot for MB's. Anyone have experience?? Something tells me I can tweak a little more than the claimed 180hp out of it too, anyone care to verify?

Thanks

By simple upgrades by Evo Sport or other sites you can get more power. Having owned a few in the family, they are decent cars, but not to reliable. I'd specifically pass on the w202 IMO as they really werent that impressive of a vehicle. Especially compared to the kind of car you can get with the same money.

I had a Mercedes fad late last year, ended up with an S-Class, as well as a 190E 16v cosworth... a few months later, I got over it ;)

I am not a fan of the C class, the older CLK has always been nice, and is quite a bit sportier, especially with AMG/sportpackage... you could also add a GT widebody kit, which is now becoming somewhat popular.

how much money are you looking to spend? if you want to "tweak" for a few more hp you might as well buy a c32, it will be a newer body style and you can find them from like 18k, its a nice car and has more power than you can make the c230 have without spending $$$$

OK, I guess I should have disclosed the money factor. The car in question is $7495 of the lot, Mercedes Used Certified. I'm looking at cars between now and the end of the year and not planning on making payments. I could manage that much right now (might have to cut back on some things but I could) Towards the end of the year I'd have about 10k + whatever I could get for my Volvo and have been thinking about a Mini........

I just saw this car and got to talking to the sales guy about it.

You should be able to purchase An E320 97-99 for around 8-10k. The C230 is not vice free, usually has SRS issues on drive side requirein seatbelt sensor replacement and climate control and gauge failures. The E320 is similar isses but the maintance is the same so I would recommend the E320.

Guy at my work drives one. He's happy with it after a couple years of owning it. I'm not a Benz guy so I have no opinions one way or the other.

Slower and heavier than the numbers might make you believe. To put it in to perspective it's slower than a 2001 auto maxima considerably.

I'd rather get a z3 that's at least fun to drive with the additional maint. costs. I'd also get an E-class instead and get that classic MB look. I'm a MB fan but my wallet isn't so I steer clear for the most part.

Just looking at the numbers, it's obvious the car isn't that fast. 180hp is not enough to move a heavy 4dr sedan very fast. I've driven an SLK230 and wasn't all that impressed with the power, considering it's supposed to be a sports car.

NSXFRIEND: I'll have to check out some E320's. My father has a newer diesel version and the car is an absolute blast to drive. Ummmm.......has MB ever made a car that didn't have gauge failure issues??

Just looking at the numbers, it's obvious the car isn't that fast. 180hp is not enough to move a heavy 4dr sedan very fast. I've driven an SLK230 and wasn't all that impressed with the power, considering it's supposed to be a sports car.

NSXFRIEND: I'll have to check out some E320's. My father has a newer diesel version and the car is an absolute blast to drive. Ummmm.......has MB ever made a car that didn't have gauge failure issues??

The C230 is actually pretty light and tossable, its just most the power is on the top end. You can even pick up a 96 E320 for around $6-7k. Good luck

Thanks. I was noticing that 96 was the first year of the newer body style. Even found an E300D for 6k, I'm pretty sure an E will be the way I go.

Thanks. I was noticing that 96 was the first year of the newer body style. Even found an E300D for 6k, I'm pretty sure an E will be the way I go.

Make sure the harmonic balancer is not making any noises drive it on a hill. This is on Mercedes TSB, requires engine pull out. Good news is most people never drive the car hard enough to require this. MBworld is a good source.

how much money are you looking to spend? if you want to "tweak" for a few more hp you might as well buy a c32, it will be a newer body style and you can find them from like 18k, its a nice car and has more power than you can make the c230 have without spending $$$$

For 18k it won't have a warranty though..add 3 to 4k more on for that. You don't want that car without it..parts are way expensive.

I'm gonna give you some good advice:

Stop looking at those cheap numbers. These cars are generally full of problems. MB reliability has been pretty bad for a few years. The 300 was one of the better ones but still... parts and service are horribly expensive. Wait, save your money, sell the volvo and get the Mini. That is a car that will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it. Especially the S. It also holds its value incredibly well. Last year mini had the most residual value of any make.

I'm not at all concerned with labor cost. There is very little I can not do myself. The mini has always had a bit of my attention, the styling was excellently done with the revival and both engines are relatively potent for the size and weight of the car. I've not driven one, but have been told they handle and perform similarly to a Golf or GTI respectively. The only thing keeping me from a VW right now is the 'Assembled in Mexico' part. A friend of mine had an '03 and while a very fun car pieces fell off the damn thing left and right.
I'm still doing research, my original plan was to buy something towards the end of the year so I would be able to pay cash without touching savings.

I had a '99 C43 AMG. Fun car, and pretty reliable. I sold it to a friend a few years back and he loves it. No problems at all.

My sister has a Cooper S. My sister. :wink:

Is she cute/single??
Yeah, the only problem with the new Mini's is the feminine stigma that seems to have attached itself to them. Honestly, if I had the time and patience, I would love to find an old mini shell and mount a worked R1 engine as the powertrain. It's actually pretty common and if you have a friend at a machine shop not that difficult or expensive.

Is she cute/single??
Yeah, the only problem with the new Mini's is the feminine stigma that seems to have attached itself to them.

Well, yes, she is both. :wink: But in car-wise, the first Mini she had was a Cooper S and, owning an NSX, I was unimpressed. It was kind of a dog. But she recently traded it for a Cooper S/JC Works model. Frankly, it hauls a$$. The new heads breath a lot easier and help the engine spin up like a race car, and the suspension really compliments the car. IMO, this is the only Mini worth owning.

Very few cars impress me, I guess I've gotten spoiled by my bike. I'm not looking to be impressed by its' speed, more to have a fun yet responsible ride. I'm getting a little tired of the 'soccer mom' volvo. Do they make trailer hitches for Mini's?? I need something that can tow my bike to the track on occasion.

I was actually looking at a JC works Mini S the other day (not to buy, just admiring), seems to be a pretty crazy little car.

Ughhhh, somebody drop kick me in the head. There's a 944 with a couple of problems right down the road from work and it's pretty cheap. I need to walk away, no more projects...........

Back