• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oxygen sensor clearance problem

I just installed NA2 OEM headers on my ’94 NSX and the rear oxygen sensor is basically touching the V shaped brace directly behind the engine. This brace is labeled as rod B in the service manual. So far everything seems to be in the correct location which makes me wonder if my engine mounts are sagging or worn enough to cause this clearance issue. I did loosen the front & rear mounts and then jacked up on the rear mount to see how much clearance was possible. This only gave me about 1/4” space from O2 sensor to brace. Could someone let me know what a typical NA2 car has for clearance in this area please? A picture would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ed

Attachments

• GEDC0749.jpg
    GEDC0749.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 111
Ed,
I have NA2 headers on my 91 and don't have any clearance problem. I just put it all back together from the winter maintenance schedule. I will take a look and see for sure what I have.

I just looked. I see the difference. The O2 sensors that I have, (NTK) have a much smaller body that the ones you have. I have about 3/8 inch clearance.
Brad

Last edited:
Brad,

Thanks for checking and getting back to me.

My car seems to have the sensor so low that I am not able to put an O2 sensor socket on without hitting the brace shown.
Can you tell me how the rear engine mount in your car looks compared to mine? As you can see the bolt appears to be offset to the upper side of the mount. I'm wondering if replacing that mount will be enough to raise the engine up so the sensor has clearance.

Ed

Attachments

• GEDC0775.jpg
    GEDC0775.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Brad,

Thanks for checking and getting back to me.

My car seems to have the sensor so low that I am not able to put an O2 sensor socket on without hitting the brace shown.
Can you tell me how the rear engine mount in your car looks compared to mine? As you can see the bolt appears to be offset to the upper side of the mount. I'm wondering if replacing that mount will be enough to raise the engine up so the sensor has clearance.

Ed

dude... you need a new motor mount.. and ill bet you need all three...

they hold your motor man... they are pretty important

Thanks Ross,

I agree about the mounts. I just want to make sure there isn't something else I missed or should be checking.

The other thing I would like to know is when everything is in the correct location how much gap should there be?

Ed

Instead of buying new mounts I had mine stiffened by filling them with polyurethane. Mine weren't as cracked as yours but it doesn't matter how many cracks, they all get filled, as log as the bolt is centered in mount. You still have to pull them out to have it done but it works a treat and probably costs a lot less than new mounts.

Last edited:
Back