• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paddle Shifters and Sport and Sport + Question

I am just now getting use to driving the NC1. I found that I could use the paddle shifters even in Sport or Sport +. Sport + allows me to shift up to gear 9 even though it is supposed to go no higher than gear 7. So here is my question: after placing the car in Sport + and I use the paddle shifters to take it to gear 9 I stomped on the accelerator. The car tries to downshifts but seems to be holding a gear at around 5000 rpm. If I let off the gas peddle the rpms still remain high. I am thinking that using the paddle shifters in anything less than track is not appropriate? Anyone else have this experience?Thanks

After wanting a DCT for years, I quickly found that the robot in there shifts better than me and I pretty much stopped using the paddles

Regarding the high revs, when the car sees that you are doing some spirited driving, it will hold the revs up after you let off the throttle to allow more responsive driving if you get back on the throttle

After wanting a DCT for years, I quickly found that the robot in there shifts better than me and I pretty much stopped using the paddles

Regarding the high revs, when the car sees that you are doing some spirited driving, it will hold the revs up after you let off the throttle to allow more responsive driving if you get back on the throttle
Same here. Never use the paddles. It knows what to do. Amazing.

Hey thanks for the quick replies. Obviously I need to drive this thing a lot more to figure it out. That is the fun of getting use to it. Thanks

I use the paddles when driving aggressively, and never get above 5th.

If you're getting into 9th gear, which is an over-drive gear, you might as well just keep it in auto cuz you're cruising on the freeway.

Been having a blast driving around the last couple days. I also noticed that when I get on the throttle while in Sports + mode (in auto mode), the car downshifts and gets up to speed; however, the car seems to want to keep the revs high and not up shift. In other words, it keeps the revs up even though I left off the throttle as noted by B&B above. Is this normal? Shouldn't it up shift automatically since it's in auto mode? I presume only way to shift up is to do so manually using paddle or turn to Quiet / Sport mode?

I just want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with DCT.

Thanks

Last edited:
Normal

The car notes that you are driving in a spirited manner

It keeps the revs up to allow more responsiveness to throttle inputs

Unusual when first observed but it makes sense, and not the best thing for gas mileage

Yes, if you are in Sport Plus mode and are using the auto transmission mode and get on the throttle hard and then lift your foot off the gas, the car will hold the last gear for some time just in case you are going to get back into it again. It does this for longer than you might expect but that's just they way the car is programmed. It won't do that as noticeably in Sport mode. It's just meant to optimize more aggressive driving.

I also very rarely use the paddle shifters. For drag racing you simply cannot beat the programmed automatic shifts. If I tried to do it manually I guarantee the car would not run as quickly. For road course racing that's another story or very spirited driving on twisty roads - those are scenarios where manually shifting would have an advantage and only if you are a pretty good driver.

Got it - thank you both! I presume the car will eventually upshift to avoid any damage when it's in Auto mode? I think the manual says not until redline but mine was pretty close to redline (7K RPM ish) but didn't want to shift quite yet. I'll keep experimenting

Yes it will eventually upshift after a delay. Also, make sure you are in auto mode - if you hit the D button again by mistake you go into manual mode.

Yep, great point. Looks like we have "auto" "D-paddle" and "manual" I've always left it in auto but I guess I may have accidentally hit the paddle too but will certainly keep that in mind.

On a separate paddle shifter note, has anyone tried these aftermarket carbon fiber paddles? I always felt the feel of the stock paddles was kind of cheap and toy like and I was wondering if these would improve that.

https://euroboutique.us/collections...nsx-upgraded-carbon-fiber-paddle-shift-levers

I like the carbon fiber look and understand they are a bit longer than the OEM. As for feeling better while shifting-no idea. They are plug and play and should be an easy install. You have to send in your OEM or pay an additional charge. That tells me they are wrapping the OEM to get them a bit larger. So would think that they click in the same way?

Back