• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Panasonic TV @ Costco - your thoughts

TigerDirect had a SAMSUNG 50" 1080p plasma for $699 four days ago. They have these deals frequently so a similar one should come around again soon.

At 32" you won't be able to tell much difference at watching distance between 720p and 1080p. However, at 50" you'll definitely want the higher resolution of 1080p over 720p.

Right now Costco has a 46" Panasonic plasma 3D 1080p set for $900 after rebate (click here). I tried it in the store and the 3D is awesome! It's also a great set and a great deal even if you don't want to use it to watch 3D.

If you want to watch in 3D, Costco also has a 3D Blu-Ray player to go with it (remember, you'll need a 3D signal source), and they sell two 3D packages, one for around $150 which includes two sets of glasses and "Coraline" and "Ice Age", the other for $250 which includes two sets of glasses and "Avatar". The television itself comes with only one set of glasses, so unless you plan to do all your watching by yourself, you'll need at least one of these packages (which I think are a better deal than buying the glasses separately).

Wait until next year black friday like myself :biggrin:
With advancements in technology, products keep improving and prices keep going down. But if you could keep putting it off, you won't enjoy the benefits in the meantime. If you want to be able to watch the set in the next nine months, then get it now. If you don't mind waiting for lower prices and better sets, then you may as well wait. Your money, your decision.

Save room on the shelf where you keep your 8-track, LD and Beta machines for any 3D stuff you may obtain. Of course you can enjoy it in the short term. 3D (at home) will not be around too long.

Last edited:
^ +1 on price drop. However, if you enjoy then its worth as the price drop drama never ends. I spent 9k on Sony plasma 42 inch with warranty when it came out. I really enjoyed and worth it in my view. I see it in MTV cribs (older episodes). Now, it just sits in basement and almost never use it.

Last edited:
Save room on the shelf where you keep your 8-track, LD and Beta machines for any 3D stuff you may obtain. Of course you can enjoy it in the short term. 3D (at home) will not be around too long.
You might (or might not) be right. However, the Panasonic 46" plasma provides excellent quality and excellent value even if you never use it for 3D, so it really isn't obsolete the way non-compatible media formats are. The same is true for the 3D Blu-Ray player, which is fully compatible with 2D Blu-Ray for 2D viewing. (The 3D glasses, though, are only useful for 3D viewing.)

deals out there on plasma HDTVs...

Right now Costco has a 46" Panasonic plasma 3D 1080p set for $900 after rebate (click here)
This past week, there also was this (brand-new/nonrefurb) 50" Panasonic Plasma 3D 1080p HDTV for $897/shipped (final price reflected at end of checkout) which I believe is still ongoing.

As a reference point I got a 58 plasma panni S2 for $1200. between Thanksgiving and Christmas

Ive got a 50" Panny Plasma 1080 and love it, if that helps.

You might (or might not) be right. However, the Panasonic 46" plasma provides excellent quality and excellent value even if you never use it for 3D, so it really isn't obsolete the way non-compatible media formats are. The same is true for the 3D Blu-Ray player, which is fully compatible with 2D Blu-Ray for 2D viewing. (The 3D glasses, though, are only useful for 3D viewing.)

You have that right... my current Blu-ray player (Oppo 93) is a 3D player -- though I'll never use it for that -- it's a wonderful machine (BR, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD, network streaming, etc.).

Back