• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Passenger headlight

Should I change the headlight motor for a 1991 NSX if the housing vibrates when I turn it off? When I flip it on it’s fine. I lubricated all the joints I could find but it still vibrates and makes a noise on the way down. Kinda bothersome for me. Has anyone had the issue? If so what did you do or should I buy a new one for $350 at MitaMotorsports?

https://www.mitamotorsports.com/1st-gen/headlight-motor

sounds like an issue i had with my passenger side motor, does it vibrate only when its going down? i found this to happen to mine, i had to take out the motor and bend all contact points a little more to make better contact. i may be wrong but when the motor shows abnormalities on only one motion it has to do with the contacts near the manual spin knob of the motor. On my driver side i had an issue where the motor would go up about halfway but when going down, completed the upward stroke and then went down. i had a very worn carbon (i think) connector at the previously mentioned spot on the motor. I have a video on youtube showing how to take out the motor, take it apart, showing off my issue, and the motor's reinstallation. if you would like me to post the link into this thread id be happy to!

Yes please post it here. Thanks. I ended up buying a new one so I’d like to see how you took it apart and re-installed it.

https://youtu.be/hBL45nENaks
not the best clips but im still learning on what the best angles are and my editing isnt very good lol.
Best of luck to you!
also as a tip for removal/installation back into the car ive found that the "Drop it out" method worked best for me where i unbolted it and lowered it through the bottom of the car and reverse for the installation portion. maybe not the best method but found it to be easier to work around than trying to squeeze it out around the headlight housing.
May want to contact Mita to see if you could get a driver side motor in too, my guess is that since one went bad and they are used in pairs both would be in the same/similar state of functionality. this is what happened to mine. driver side went then after a few months passenger side gave me similar issues.
Cheers!
Yes please post it here. Thanks. I ended up buying a new one so I’d like to see how you took it apart and re-installed it.

Back