• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Passenger side carpet wet, drain hose NOT clogged?

Alright, so I noticed the other day that there was some condensation that blew out of my vents when the inside of the car was quite hot.
Other than that, the A/C works fine.

Of course the condensation went away in a couple of seconds... no its not a heater core, just water vapor.

So, I pulled out the subwoofer and looked at the drain hose for the A/C. Seems fine, when the AC is on you can feel cold air coming out of it. No obstructions underneath the car.

I blew compressed air into whatever I could in order to try to clear any blockages there are but I can't do more than that without taking the whole system apart.

I also noticed that the carpet was a little wet (insulation underneath, not the top of the carpet itself) - this makes me think I have a problem but I can't find a cause.

I' found this previous thread with essentially the same issue here http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-126646.html

But, that thread really doesn't go anywhere.

ALSO - when I shut off the car when the A/C has been running I hear a very distinct "gurgling" sound for about 10-15 seconds after it shuts off - from the area where the drain hose is - refrigerant/oil making that noise? Or water...

I am going to wait until a humid day comes around and try to run it and check to see how it drains. Anyone experienced this?

Last edited:
the jute mat under the carpet will never dry out while in the car. in a week you will get a mold smell.

take seat out, pull the bottom parts of the carpet out and let it dry in the sun for a few days. while your at it, I would take the other side's carpet out and shampoo both of them dry for a few days
and put back in the car it will smell nice after that.

but find out whas leaking and fix it. another thing to check is take the blower out in the front of the car, 4 10mm bolts removes it.
there is a rubber seal gasket that stops water form entering the car I can almost bet money it has crumbled to almost non exsist over the years

another thing to check is take the blower out in the front of the car, 4 10mm bolts removes it.
there is a rubber seal gasket that stops water form entering the car I can almost bet money it has crumbled to almost non exsist over the years

Ah, didn't know this could be an issue. I will check it out. Thanks!

+1 on Shawn's suggestion on the foam gasket around the blower unit and also the amount of crap that can build up inside the unit blocking the drain since there is no filter. See post #27 from my build http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/164964-NSXCessives-91-Project-quot-Sliding-Knife-quot-Build/page2

I ran into a couple others after re-assembling my project car as well as replacing the one around the blower unit I also found some other places where water could enter. The gutter molding along the roof also has a thin piece of foam that can deteriorate and start to leak against the inner trim molding finding its way to the carpet on the floor.

The other I've seen if you've had your windshield replaced sometimes if the urethane hasn't been installed correctly not making a good seal can cause a leak around the window and it will find its way to the floor as well. But if you don’t have a leak in the rain I wouldn't worry about this one. Hope you figure it out soon.

Here is a thread from nsxcb.co.uk http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?5168-Interior-Water-Leak make sure you remove the hose and blow through it.

Did you try blowing compressed air into the drain tube from underneath the car? Of course it will blow the mess back into that area, but may also drain any water.

With the carpet wet, I'd do the suggested removal and drying. A moldy car is awful!

I had a similar issue... no water in my vents, but insulation under carpet was wet and the defrost mode did not work so well with all the humidity.

Turns out that there are some foam strips that seal under the trim piece that is above the door window. Water was leaking past the foam, rather than being guided down toward the underside of the car like it is supposed to. It took me a while to find the problem, had to remove the passenger seat, carpet, and trim pieces, then sit in the car while someone slowly misted different exterior areas with a hose. I believe it was leaking toward the rear-most area of the door window. Was pretty obvious with everything removed.

I ran my Ac the other day with the carpet pulled up and the hose draining in the car. Not out through the drain hole. I was driving somewhere and I wanted evidence it was draining. What I found was that it drained out the hose and around where the hose connects. It is possible that the hose has slightly shrunk in diameter overtime and now doesn't seal well?

The water drain hose should pass through the firewall and drain into the water drain duct pictured in the service manual on page 22-63 in the upper right hand corner. Are you saying there is a leak inside of the passenger compartment? If that's the case the hose doesn't seem to be securely attached to whatever component it's attached to inside of the car.

The water drain hose should pass through the firewall and drain into the water drain duct pictured in the service manual on page 22-63 in the upper right hand corner. Are you saying there is a leak inside of the passenger compartment? If that's the case the hose doesn't seem to be securely attached to whatever component it's attached to inside of the car.

Yes. I think it has changed diameter overtime and only feels like it is attached securely to the component inside the car.

I sealed it up where it attaches in case there is a leak there. I ran the AC when it was very humid last week and while there was a huge puddle outside the car there was nothing inside the car so hopefully it will be a little better now.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue... no water in my vents, but insulation under carpet was wet and the defrost mode did not work so well with all the humidity.

Turns out that there are some foam strips that seal under the trim piece that is above the door window. Water was leaking past the foam, rather than being guided down toward the underside of the car like it is supposed to. It took me a while to find the problem, had to remove the passenger seat, carpet, and trim pieces, then sit in the car while someone slowly misted different exterior areas with a hose. I believe it was leaking toward the rear-most area of the door window. Was pretty obvious with everything removed.

Can you take a picture of what pieces you are referring to? I want to make sure I investigate it correctly...

Okay so I'm at a loss here. A/C drain hose was fixed but of course there is still water coming in from somewhere. It sat outside for a week and it rained several times... the carpet was pulled up but because the foam holds the water its hard to figure out where its coming from.

I did what but I didn't remove the trim pieces - that is the next step. However the manual doesn't do a good job of showing which ones you remove first and how to remove them? Chussey do you have any insight on this?

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, I wonder if you can post pictures of what you're talking about? And, do you just end up buying a new foam piece and how do you install it? Any help is appreciated!

the jute mat under the carpet will never dry out while in the car. in a week you will get a mold smell.

take seat out, pull the bottom parts of the carpet out and let it dry in the sun for a few days. while your at it, I would take the other side's carpet out and shampoo both of them dry for a few days
and put back in the car it will smell nice after that.

but find out whas leaking and fix it. another thing to check is take the blower out in the front of the car, 4 10mm bolts removes it.

I'm looking for the part # for that gasket on the blower motor. Can't find it.
Anyone have it?

Back