• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Peculiar hesitation when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at WOT...

Hello all! I hope everyone and their families are all well and that your spring is off to a great start!

The subject header more or less says it all. I get this very peculiar hesitation when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd* at Wide Open Throttle. I'm shifting at just about 8000RPM, and as I am reapplying the throttle and clutch there is a half second (approximately) hesitation where it feels like there is no response from the throttle before it eventually "wakes up" and the revs continue to climb. It's a 96' NSX-T and I suspect that it has something to do with the electronic "fly by wire" throttle and maybe some sort of "torque management" algorithm? The car is mostly stock with the exception of SOS headers, high flow cats and an SOS 275 clutch/flywheel combo. Any input would sincerely appreciated!

Matt

*Note; I'm not sure it's limited to the 2nd to 3rd shift as I just haven't had the chance to see if it occurs at the 3rd to 4th shift.

could your clutch be slipping?

I don't think so...

That would make sense but the RPM doesn't climb at all when it occurs. The RPM just stays where it was when I backed off the throttle. Again, it's almost like the throttle is not responding to the pedal for a moment before it "wakes up" and reapplies the throttle after maybe a third to half a second...

the TCS dash light will flicker when it is triggered so he could look for that..

Bingo!!

Try turning off your traction control and see if it still does it.

Excellent diagnosis Doctor as it appears that's exactly what was happening. I did what you suggested and sure enough the hesitation is gone. In retrospect it makes total sense as it did indeed feel like 1990's era traction control intervening but being that an 8K RPM+ 2nd to 3rd shift is north of 80mph it never occurred to me that the car was breaking traction at that speed. That was a HUGE relief as I had NO idea what it was and I was paranoid it was somehow related to the recent clutch replacement we did (Along with a few other things). I'm actually kind of impressed that the car is able to brake loose at 80mph+! Thanks for the input gentlemen!!

Excellent diagnosis Doctor as it appears that's exactly what was happening. I did what you suggested and sure enough the hesitation is gone. In retrospect it makes total sense as it did indeed feel like 1990's era traction control intervening but being that an 8K RPM+ 2nd to 3rd shift is north of 80mph it never occurred to me that the car was breaking traction at that speed. That was a HUGE relief as I had NO idea what it was and I was paranoid it was somehow related to the recent clutch replacement we did (Along with a few other things). I'm actually kind of impressed that the car is able to brake loose at 80mph+! Thanks for the input gentlemen!!

That's how I figured it out on mine too. It would usually do it on the 1-2 upshift. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Back