• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Phoenix warehouse fire destroys $1 million in cars

I wonder if any sports cars were in the warehouse. :frown:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ehouse-fire-destroys-1-million-cars-abrk.html

by Brennan Smith - May. 3, 2012 11:42 AM
The Republic | azcentral.com

An early morning fire in Phoenix on Thursday destroyed up to $1 million worth of cars and car parts, according to Phoenix Fire Department officials.

The fire started about 1:30 a.m. at Parra's Auto Electric, a car restoration business, near 19th Avenue and Culver Street, Phoenix Fire Department spokesman Scott McDonald said.

McDonald said a warehouse on the property was "stuffed with vehicles" ranging from large trucks to motorcycles to classic cars, which weren't salvageable after the blaze was contained. The total number of cars lost is unclear, but at least a dozen were visibly damaged on scene in the warehouse.

Among the vehicles were what appeared to be large industrial trucks, at least one motorcycle, passenger cars and pickup trucks.

Dave Sweetman, co-owner of the business, said Thursday morning he was "overwhelmed" at the sight of the damage. He said the business had only existed at that location for about six months before the blaze.

Sweetman said he is unsure of what was burned inside because the building has been boarded up pending the fire investigation.

"I don't even know what's in there, I'm not a 100 percent sure," Sweetman said. "I'm guessing as to most of the stuff that's in there. There may be a customer vehicle in there."

Sweetman, who appeared visibly shaken, said he can only wait now as the insurance process plays out.

"I'm feeling very, very devastated and horrible," Sweetman said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Back