• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

pics of targa holder

here are pics of the aluminum blocks I had made to secure my targa top over my engine without having my engine cover installed. The prongs extend into the horizontal holes in the blocks when the handle on the targa top is closed. The photos are a little deceiving as the top is flat over the engine with no effect on rear visibility. the top does fit in the trunk...but then nothing else will either. I plan to have them powdercoated to be more stealth.

Last edited:
What's the advantage of this setup vs using the stock engine cover to hold the roof panel?

By the way, it's not called a "targa top". It's the roof panel for the NSX-T (but of course we know what you're talking about). "Targa" is a trademark of Porsche, and is properly used only when referring to that brand of cars.

I like to leave the cover off to leave the engine exposed. If I travel in the summer and stow it in the trunk I have no room for luggage.

maybe a dumb question but...

don't you end up with a bunch of smelly crap on the inside of our roof panel since it's exposed to the elements and the engine like that? It must get hot as hell too.

i don't know yet. still cold here but that is a possiblity. it would only be used during nice weather and road grime doesn't really get inside the back window as it is, so i hope its not a problem. I think that someone measure the temp under the hatch at approx 130 f before, shouldnt be too hot.... on a 90 f summer day I bet it reaches that temp inside the cabin if parked in the sun. we shall see

i thinkyour idea is awesome but....

FYI, the heat from the engine will deteriorate the paint prematurely from your roof panel if you place it there without insulator or heat deflector. Theres a very good reason why Honda put that insulated engine cover there.The insulator is to protect the the glass hatch from intense temperature cycling. It adds life to the paint job. Also it’s there for engine fire purpose as well as noise reduction.

and like Da Hapa said,

"you end up with a bunch of smelly crap on the inside of our roof panel since it's exposed to the elements and the engine"
not to mention grease and engine oil getting baked into that perfect paint job.
im not trying to flame or anything, but looking out.

But i could be wrong about everything. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Da Hapa said:
maybe a dumb question but...

don't you end up with a bunch of smelly crap on the inside of our roof panel since it's exposed to the elements and the engine like that? It must get hot as hell too.

I just re-read my post and realized that it came off as awfully negative.

My point was only a query and I neglected to compliment your ingenuity. I'm no the least bit handy and frankly, I'm constantly awed by the way that others (such as yourself) can put a brain fart into motion and end up creating a unique, interesting solution to something that they thought up.

Very interesting idea but I share the concerns others expressed about it being exposed. If you keep it, let us know how it works out. Doesn't really matter to me personally (coupe) but I am still curious and who knows maybe some day I will have a -T.

Interesting and novel idea.

Perhaps the simplicity of design may solve the issues raised above by allowing a soft fabric cover that can be hooked to the brackets or thereabouts. Might take some minor tinkering or increasing the bracket length/width but appears to have plenty of room to do it.

Back