• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Play Forza Motorsport... Drive my NSX!!

yea... I went to Frys Electronics and they didnt have any on the shelf so I asked the employee and he had a cart full of them and was just unloading them. I picked it up and asked how much it was, he said it was on special for $34.99. I thought hte $39.99 was cheap on their website. All I can say is this game is awesome. I drove all the NSX years and the type-r and its a lot of fun. The engine sounds are pretty realistic and the handling characteristics are similar to real life which is way cool. It is a simulation game and the graphics are amazing. Playing this in HDTV which the 5.1 Surround sound also helps :wink: I want to get the wheel and try things out. I must say I am addicted to this game and it feels fairly real which is quite amazing since it is a video game... this is the only game I bought for my xbox and I hardly play the xbox so I figured since I didnt really want to buy a ps2 and gt4 might as well just wait... the wait was well worth it. if you guys get a chance, buy a copy at Frys Electronics they have them on sale! Enjoy. Hopefully I will get xbox live but my internet is having probs and I have a modded Harddrive so I have to swap out that with the stock HD.

Great Game, but course design is highly inaccurate compare to GT4.
And here's why,
On Nuburgring with a 2002 Honda NSX-R,
it took Best Motoring guys about 7:58,
and if you drive really good on GT4, with a NSX-R, its also about 7:58 ish
and now heres the problem,
with the exact same car, driven really really good on Forza Motorsports,
its about 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!
Still a great and exciting game, but I think people at Microsoft shoud've done a bit more homework!

freelance201 said:
Great Game, but course design is highly inaccurate compare to GT4.
And here's why,
On Nuburgring with a 2002 Honda NSX-R,
it took Best Motoring guys about 7:58,
and if you drive really good on GT4, with a NSX-R, its also about 7:58 ish
and now heres the problem,
with the exact same car, driven really really good on Forza Motorsports,
its about 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!
Still a great and exciting game, but I think people at Microsoft shoud've done a bit more homework!

Are you sure they are supposed to be running the same course? There are a lot of configurations of the Nurburgring.

It has the most authentic engine sound, the NSX sounds so nice in the game as long as you do not do transmission mods. Once you upgrade transmission, you can't hear the engine any more, very strange.

It is a very good game. I was quite disappointed after first 2 hours of playings the game, but now I love it, even more realistic than GT4, you really have to complete the braking before entering corner.

Fantastic line up of cars, full lines of Ferrari, Porsche, including 288GTO, F40, Enzo, 360, 355. Even Porsche 944 turbo is in this game.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they're running the exact same course.
But who cares really, the game is still pretty fun to play.

The more I play Forza, the more frustrated I grow. Am I the only one having horrible problems with the huge dead-zones in the analog sticks? Its equally bad on Controller S and Logitech Precision and there are no settings to compensate for these. I usually run gas/brake on one stick, steering on the other...and I, for the life of me, can't gas or brake without losing traction (or locking the wheels) in most cars. I run manual (with shifting on the triggers) with all of the assists disabled (except for the racing line for now), but found I had to reenable ABS due to this locking problem. I can't power out of turns, I can't manage subtle tuns (like on Peninsula Speedway), I can't seem to do anything smoothly in this stupid game.

If only I could use my Driving Force Pro! I really don't feel like investing any money in a Xbox specific steering controller at this point in the Xbox's life-cycle, not just because I already own the best wheel out there, but also because Xbox 360 may not support this generation's controllers.

I've played Forza for several hours, two of which were online against a bunch of NASCAR loving, Fast and Furious types who only wanted to drive ovals, try to bump me off the line, never brake, and often quit out of races dropping me to last place (so I earn no points even for finishing second). Once I got more selective (I will no longer use quickmatch), I found better and more mature competition, but then inability to be smooth on the control inputs really started to work against me.

The lower class cars really feel sloppy in Forza...even typically solid cars like the S2000 felt strange (a car I love in GT4). Things didn't improve until I got my Honda NSX-R, so I took it online (haven't gone back to offline yet). At this point, I found myself needing to modify it to make it more competitive. As someone else mentioned above, the sound was cool until I modded it. I've been refining the settings, but can't seem to do much to keep the rear from coming out from behind me on turns...more likely the control issues I've already mentioned than my tuning.

So far, the most fun I've had in Forza has been applying custom decals...I went to town on making it an akira3d-Naughty Dog NSX-R. I just wish I could be more competitive with my customized ride. I also wish I could take my career with me to the office, but, for some reason, Forza decided to not support the memory units. Oh well...looks like I'll continue to play GT4 with a real steering controller during my lunch breaks.

As for Forza's graphics, the backgrounds are really pretty and very detailed (higher-res textures and geometry). That said, Forza is a tad too stylized (too dreamy soft) for a game trying to compete as a nearly photoreal simulator. Too bad Forza's cars aren't as good as its backgrounds. It's funny, replays in GT4 often can be mistaken for real footage, but no one will mistake when Forza's replays for anything other than clean and glossy computer graphics. Forza's car models, the way they move, the stuttering reflections, the funky paint...all are hugely inferior to GT4. One of my big gripes with GT4 was not being able to drive the Carrera GT...but Forza didn't make the car look nearly as good as it should. Forza's people aren't even as well done.

As for sense-of-speed, GT4 clearly wins this one hands down. Forza's camera glides along silky smooth with no attempt to translate the dipping and rolling of the car, the bumps, etc. I have pretty much had to rely on their dynamic racing line to know how I'm doing. Forza being locked at 30fps also hurts the feeling of speed and decreases the feeling of responsiveness from the controls. The line is cool, but it's hard to pay attention to that and your competition.

And the damage modeling is more annoying than cool. Too many online competitors (and even AI competitors) seem to intentionally knock you into walls. Attempting to compensate for damaged alignment when the controllers have such a huge dead-zone is a real pain...especially on longer courses.

I just don't understand why I haven't heard more negatives about this game. Everyone seems to be glowing about it, but I'd rather play GT4. If only GT4 was online...

I feel ya akira3D,

graphics wise, GT4 definitely wins,
sense of speed, GT4 definitely wins,
to me, I think the only fun part of the game is online, which I spend most of the time on.
Somehow, this game feels like Project Gotham II, except you can do modifications and tricked out custom decals/paint job.
Also, I heard lots of people saying that this game feels very realistic, but almost none of them have ever been on a race track before, so I guess they don't really know what REALISTIC really means. I'm telling ya, GT4 with Logitech GForce Pro is as realistic as it can get, and I'm speaking this from my 3-4 years of experience on track.

Nice try for Microsoft try to beat GT4, but I think they totally failed.

I have not yet tried playing on-line. Very close to unlocking Ferrari cars. So far I am having fun using NSX-R and RX-7 tuned down to approximate 400hp range instead of max hp. In Forza less is more in many cases.

Regarding the change of engine sound, transmission mod is the cause, it completely destroy the sound of engine, other than that, every other mod has little to no effect. Turbo and Supercharger each have their unique sound effect, but not enough to over shadow the engine sound.

Microsoft may have failed making a GT4 beater. It succeeded by creating a excellent entertaining racing game. The graphics and sense of speed is disappointing, but it make it up in other areas. It really get much more fun the high level you go.

It is video game afterall you can't compare it to the real thing. Not everyone is born with real track experience, everyone is a rookie at one point.

Try play the actual game instead of on-line, give it a try up to level 20, you will be much more happy with the game. Forza require far more effort to play well in almost every tracks other than Nuburgring in GT4, not counting oval tracks, you really can't lose focus during the race, especially once you get up to higher level, running into other car or into wall once or twice will virtually eliminate your chance of winning.

While in GT4 bumping car off the road or hitting the wall is big advantage in many cases. You could also enter many corners at full speed hitting the wall at an angle and not lose any speed.

If I could only have 1 racing game, I would take GT4 over Forza, however definitely much prefer to have both as it is a great game IMHO.

Very nice sound, but I still prefer GT4, sorry. I wish GT4 had more manufacturers though....

Well, I'm at level 13 right now and plan to play it for awhile (regardless of my complaints). I just hate how non-competitive I am in this...I really feel I should be able to do better than I am, especially on courses I know. Today, I raced a few times at Laguna Seca and simply couldn't manage the corkscrew. I'm actually quite good at this in GT, but kept leaving the track in Forza either at the top or on the higher speed turns after the drop.

I'm definitely starting to have more fun online than off. I still haven't quite dialed in my NSX-R to plant it firmly in the corners without sacrificing too much of its top end speed, and I can't compensate enough for the braking/gassing issue to not break lose without sacrificing some acceleration, but I've definitely been progressively improving its feel (I'm keeping it for competition in Class A1)...and I still am tinkering with its decals.

On one offline event, I've been constantly facing the same problem on the last lap...one of the AI cars somehow catches up with me after I build a considerable lead and then smacks me in the back in one of the final few corners, sending me off the course without enough time catch him before the finish. I've come in close second four times in a row. I'm starting to think I should reduce the difficulty setting on the AI.

I tried switching to automatic and gas/braking on the triggers again, but, while I definitely have better control over accelerating, I have no control over braking due to the proximity of the trigger to the stick. So I've gone back to manual, shifting on the triggers, and gas/brake on the stick. I'm just going to have to learn to deal with it I suppose.

Hey guys if youre on look me up im vtecnsx1 on live too. Im level 50 and am ranked #4 on the downhill for c class and #2 for A class :biggrin:

Last edited:
Here are some blurry frame grabs (scaled down to tighten them up a bit) of my first customized ride...I think I left field interpolate when I captured them so I need to re-grab these from my video tape:

Attachments

• Forza Prime.jpg
    Forza Prime.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 614
why dont u use the triggers so you can modulate the brake and gas amount? that I found helps... since you are using a button for the brake it just SLAMS on the brakes, using the trigger you ease into the braking as in real life. I dunno I played gt4 and it really wasnt real to me... no consequences, you can run a track full speed crash into other cars and the wall and be fine... that is not real racing. maybe gt4 has the HDTV 1080 resolution, while forza doesnt? I played both but I still like forza better. anyone tried the Takata JGTC NSX?

JDM NSX said:
why dont u use the triggers so you can modulate the brake and gas amount? that I found helps... since you are using a button for the brake it just SLAMS on the brakes

I use the analog stick...like I do in GT4...because I got way too accustomed to shifting on the triggers from previous installments of the GT series (plus, it feels like the paddle shifting on the Driving Force Pro).

I find I can use the trigger to accelerate, but the brake is too close to the analog stick for me to be able to feather it while smoothly adjusting the steering stick. Plus, I find I can't shift from the buttons on top, so I would have to go automatic (which I hate).

I'm getting better with the dual stick, shift on trigger method, but it's still a lot of quick corrections rather than smooth driving. I'm sure this is hurting my lap times, which are off from my GT4 times by nearly a minute and a half on Nurburgring Nordschleife with a stock NSX-R.

As for this NSX-R, I can't seem to make it very driveable given the control issues I'm having. I've also tuned a 1992 NSX-R to B1 and have no problems keeping it on the pavement, but this A1 tuned recent model NSX-R is just not working for me. It sure looks cool though (and I don't plan to recreate these decals on my '92).

Here are some better pictures of my car:

Attachments

• Garage - akira3dog - NSXR (side).jpg
    Garage - akira3dog - NSXR (side).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 498
  • Garage - akira3dog - NSXR (top).jpg
    Garage - akira3dog - NSXR (top).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 488
  • Garage - akira3dog - NSXR (back).jpg
    Garage - akira3dog - NSXR (back).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Garage - akira3dog - NSXR.jpg
    Garage - akira3dog - NSXR.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 497
  • Decals - akira3dog - NSXR.jpg
    Decals - akira3dog - NSXR.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 505
And here are some shots from Nurburgring Nordschleife:

Attachments

• Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (front quarter).jpg
    Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (front quarter).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (back quarter).jpg
    Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (back quarter).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 477
  • Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (back quarter closer).jpg
    Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (back quarter closer).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (spin out).jpg
    Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (spin out).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 480
  • Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (smashed).jpg
    Nurburgring - akira3dog - NSXR (smashed).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 505
The fanatec steering designed with forza in mind has adjustable dead zones. Enjoying the game. Don't really want to buy a steering wheel with the xbox360 being released shortly. Does look nice though. Prefer it over gt4. I spent most of my time in the customizing section also. Really easy to use. LIke everyone else i went and bought the nsx as soon as i could. The acura nsx model looks nicer than the japanese type-r model for some reason. Maybe it's the wheels (wheel models aren't too crash hot).
:smile:

Did anyone hear about the glitch on "Live". I made a few quick "bucks" with it. So far I like the game. Havent played GT4 so cant make a comparison, but Im guessing its not as good but nonetheless worth playing. Im using this gamertag while in Arkansas, Masturbtng Alot . yeah , yeah, damn kids at the dorm came up with that. Back home my real gamertag is NSXRebel, but for now I use Masturbtng Alot.

I finally had time to place 6-7 hours of playing on it. I like it, it is not perfect but very enjoyable. :)

I use the controller with the two L/R triggers for accelerating and braking, one analog joystick to steer and the other to move my head around.

BTW, something that bothers me: many of my freinds prefer to play all driving games (from Sega GT to Project Gotham 1/2) with the outside view of the car. I ALWAYS drive with the driver view... it seems so fake to use the external view (even if several people claims it is better/easier).

What do you all do? :confused:

gheba_nsx said:
BTW, something that bothers me: many of my freinds prefer to play all driving games (from Sega GT to Project Gotham 1/2) with the outside view of the car. I ALWAYS drive with the driver view... it seems so fake to use the external view (even if several people claims it is better/easier).

What do you all do? :confused:

I prefer the driver view as well and I have heard others comment that they prefer the external view (which I find to be fake as well).

You really need to get a wheel. I have no interest in driving games without one.

Drivers view for racing simulation, outside view for drift type events (such as in need for speed 2: undergound/arcade style: burnout 3: takedown)

I also use the internal view for arcade games, like OutRun 2 where drifitng is evry important :p .

I will buy a wheel for the PS3 or Xbox360... current generation console do not have a long life. I have a MS Sidewinder FF wheel on the PC... to bad I cannot use it on consoles.

In-car view is the only way to play...though GT4's over hood display comes in handy for cone challenges (would have been useful for Forza's autocross events).

I could never understand why anyone would want to play from outside of the vehicle...I even play in-vehicle in Wipeout Pure!

As for wheels, the Driving Force Pro is a USB steering controller that will likely remain very compatible with the PS3 (which has 6 USB2.0 ports). Besides, the DFP was originally designed for use with the Gran Turismo games (it's practically a given that future GT games will support it)...and the PS3 is fully backwards compatible with the previous PlayStations. Plus, it is possible to use the DFP on the PC.

As for the Xbox360, I suspect that anyone developing racing games for the Xbox360 will definitely want to take advantage of existing USB controllers like the Driving Force Pro (since the 360 has 3 USB2.0 ports). Of course, it remains to be seen how backwards compatible the Xbox360 will be with current generation games (and I suspect Forza will be unable to take advantage of the DFP even if it IS flagged as one of the titles that will be emulated to run on Xbox360).

On a somewhat related note, I saw a Forza ad running before Star Wars Episode III...and the ad really focuses on NSXs (from stock to modified to JGTC racing NSXs).

Last edited:
JDM NSX said:
why dont u use the triggers so you can modulate the brake and gas amount? that I found helps... since you are using a button for the brake it just SLAMS on the brakes, using the trigger you ease into the braking as in real life. I dunno I played gt4 and it really wasnt real to me... no consequences, you can run a track full speed crash into other cars and the wall and be fine... that is not real racing. maybe gt4 has the HDTV 1080 resolution, while forza doesnt? I played both but I still like forza better. anyone tried the Takata JGTC NSX?

Just my two cents: In real life, you will likely never crash full speed into other cars and the wall. So you should not be doing that in GT4--that's no way to be a good driver. You aren't cheating the game, you are cheating yourself. The in-boundary physics (how the car reacts to input in normal situations) are MUCH more important than out-of-boundary physics (ramming into walls). Real racing is not about hitting walls. It's about the driving.

I agree that from a game design standpoint, there is some value in penalizing people for bumping off walls to get around corners and taking shortcuts. But I would much rather have CPU and memory resources put into perfecting the on-track physics, and I would put relatively little priority into car damage and collisions. I suspect the GT4 designers have similar priorities.

Back