• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please Help Diagnose Problem.

When key is turned to:
Ignition position 1: Sound alerts that the door is open (door is open) until door is closed. None of the instrument gauge cluster lights lit on.
Ignition position 2: Still No Gauge cluster instrument lights.
Ignition position 3: Instrument Gauge lights lit on , engine cranks and stops second after.Instrument Gauge light lit off.
Chain of events prior malfunction:
I removed the center console, disconnected both the 12V socket and fan aspirators. (I did this to see the depth in the center console for possible installation of Navigation system) I re-connected the 12V socket and fan aspirator, replaced the center console. But now, I have the above problem. Car was fine before center console removal. Any ideas are greatly appreciated it. Thanks !!! :frown:

Checked all fuses. They all seem to be okay after visual inspection. The clock time lights up only on third key ignition position. I will double check fuses.
Thanks!!!
Up to this point I have 1) Replace the battery, 2) cleaned the ignition switch, 3) replaced the main relay box

First off, you said you cleaned the ignition switch. Did you do a continuity test on the operation of the ignition switch? I have attached the service manual test procedure for the ignition switch. Make sure the switch contacts are operating properly. If you shorted out something while fiddling in the center console area, you could have damaged some of the switch contacts.

The ignition switch has 4 positions.
  • Switch position 0, everything is off.
  • Switch position 1 (acc) only radio and cig lighteroperate. No indicator lights should be on in this position
  • Switch position 2 (ign) engine running (indicator lights on and everything should be operable)
  • Switch position 3 (start) engages starter motor. FI relay is energized. Bulb check circuit should start up).

After you have checked the operation of the switch, check for +12v on the white (battery A) and white/black (battery B) on the female side of the 7 pin ignition switch connector. This will confirm that the primary fuses supplying the ignition switch are OK. The fact that the starter motor engages implies that Battery A fuse has to be OK, if the radio operates in the acc position then battery B fuse is good and you don't have to do this test. Be careful as you do not want to short any of the pins together.

If the power supply to the ign sw is good and the switch operates properly, the best scenario is that you have loosened a connector somewhere while you were fiddling with the center console. Have a look around. The other scenario is that you have damaged some wires. In either case, I suggest you download a copy of the service manual from the Prime Encyclopedia(Wiki) as you may have to start tracing out some wires and connectors, and you really need the manual to do that.

I got the ignition switch today. I replaced it and YES!!! the engine came to life again. I was going thru the worst withdrawals ever imagined. Thanks for the support guys. If anyone needs a switch control replaced, I'm your man.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354679603.788277.jpg
And I'm back on the game.

Back