• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Polished or painted advan model 5

I’ve been collecting NSX wheels since buying my car…one set I was able to get was a double staggered advan 5 wheels with paint issues along the lip. Originally, I planned to sandblast and have my local powder coating guy to refinish them in brilliant silver. But I stripped the peeling paint to find pristine alloy underneath and wondering if I should just polish and ceramic coat or clear finish them. These I believe are cast alloy wheels. I’m wondering if that would be better powder coated vs forged wheels being polished. Any thoughts? lazy me says powder coat and I guess it would protect these wheels better. Bored me says this would be something to do in the garage over winter as a polished finish.

Advan Model 5's are still my favorite NSX wheels, especially in 17/18".

If you don't mind putting in the time, polishing/clearcoating them would probably make them look great.

Then after living with them for a while, if you want another look you could always go another direction...

Last edited:
I had an Advan Model 5 hyper silver damaged by a bad tire installer who wasn't very careful, so had it stripped and powdercoated. Looks as good as new. Cost the tire company $200 to repair it just for your reference. (plus they refunded me what I paid for my 4 tire installation)

I had an Advan Model 5 hyper silver damaged by a bad tire installer who wasn't very careful, so had it stripped and powdercoated. Looks as good as new. Cost the tire company $200 to repair it just for your reference. (plus they refunded me what I paid for my 4 tire installation)

I just had mine powder coated instead after trying to polish the wheels! It got so messy with chemicals and almost had residual paint stripper flying close to my uncovered car…I was being silly. Turned out nice but I wish the color had more metallic shine to it. Does look better in the sun.
02cca20d46742b922efb075a17fa1126.jpg

I had a set of cast SSRs ruined by powder coating. They were fine until they reheated themselves on my first track day. Both rears deformed out-of-round. I never believed it until it happened to me. I reckon forge wheels hold up a little better to a rearranging of atoms when heated up.

Back