• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Poll - What do you do for a living (PLS VOTE!)

My occupation (or source of wealth/income) is...

• Medical Doctor (non surgery)

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Medical Doctor (surgery)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Dentist / Orthodontist

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Attorney

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Armed Forces

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Law Enforcement Officer / Fire

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Politician (Major, Representative, etc.)

• Engineer (or Engineer moved into management ranks now)

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • Management (finance / accounting) - Large corporation

• Management (marketing / sales) - Large corporation

• Management (operations) - Large corporation

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Sales Executive (employed or independent, all products)

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Small-Medium business founder/owner

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • Small-Medium business CEO (non founder/owner)

• Federal or State employee

• Independently wealthy - job inconsequential (family or husband/wife)

• Wall Street (ibanking, PE, hedge fund)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Private wealth management (broker, investment advisor)

• Accountant

• College kid or recent grad -- how 'bout a little help bro???

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
So far, I'm not too surprised at the # of small-medium sized business owners. I am surprised at how many engineers there are (even if that is a broad category). I'm also shocked there aren't more attorneys -- maybe they're all still feeding.

Sorry for leaving out an IT/programmer option. Maybe you can hack into Prime and reconfigure the software to allow more than 20 choices? haha

You have 2 separate poll options for "Doctor" but none for programmers/developers?

Fail.

I know, sorry mate. I obviously missed a few big ones ("teacher" "non-profit" "scientist", etc.). Was just going off the top of my head. The distinction, BTW, for surgery vs. regular MD is from my understanding of how, personality wise, surgeons differ substantially from traditional MDs. Stereotypically at least.

Lud -- if there's a way I can edit or add options that would be great. :smile:

I'm a test subject for all kinds of products. Most end up failing FDA standards. Sucks when my skin starts peeling, but at least i still have all my toes... and even an extra one that grew last week after the trying these new weight loss pills. If anyones interested i get a bonus for referrals.

Under Officer fireman (SGT) with the retirement since 1 year, good and faithful service during 31 years and 7 times wounded in ordered service (including 3 times seriously), I taste now a well deserved rest!. :smile:

Looks like the engineers are leading right now :wink: I can really appreciate all the work that went into the design of the NSX. Lots of trade-off studies to perform to find the right balance, followed by a bunch of testing to verify the performace meets the design intent.

I don't see a choice for me. I start and extraordinary amount of polls on forums and then sell the information to demographic resellers. :biggrin: :tongue: :eek: :biggrin:

I don't see a choice for me. I start and extraordinary amount of polls on forums and then sell the information to demographic resellers. :biggrin: :tongue: :eek: :biggrin:

Dude, you don't really think that's why I started this poll do you? Really? Tuck your conspiracy theories back in the pocket, Steve, I'm just curious about the NSX community...

So, notwithstanding the limitations of my poor occupation poll choices, it seems a few interesting conclusions can be made. Interesting if you're a dork like me at least.

#1 is Engineering. While that is a large, broad field, it is much smaller than "Accounting" or "Medicine" I'm pretty sure. Not so surprising since the NSX is an engineering milestone, but still, to see "so many" engineers owning these cars is interesting.

#2 is Business Owner. Not surprising (to me) at all. It's higher risk but is the only sure "path" to wealth for most of us. Much respect from me by the way. :smile:

#3 are Medical doctors (including the 1 surgeon that is slumming in an NSX :tongue: ). Not surprising, to me at least.

Everything else can be a bit of a toss up. I'm very surprised there aren't more attorneys. Maybe they just didn't vote for legal reasons. :tongue: I'm also surprised there aren't more in the "Large Corporate" buckets, but that might just be due to the vagaries of my poll.

BTW, I left out an "Other" category because 1/2 of the people would inevitably vote there. I also left out the cross dresser option since we all know what Hugh does.

For the engineers -- I think we'd all love to hear why you own an NSX. Is it, directly or indirectly, related to your career interests? Did you buy an NSX because it's an engineering milestone on wheels (and, as an engineer, you think that's cool enough to buy one) or did you just get one for the same reasons as the rest of us?

Edit - the "same reasons as the rest of us" is obviously quite broad. But, to me, the NSX-T is the perfect exotic sportscar. BUT, the reason I purchased a 2005 instead of an older one, is due to my belief in the car as an engineering/automotive milestone and paying a little extra now for a 2005 will be worth it down the road if I ever (god forbid and very very unlikely) decide to sell.

Last edited:
My 1994 RX-7 blew up when I was 19 and I wanted something that would last so I bought a nsx a few weeks after I shipped my blown up RX-7 out :) The nsx is a great car will see how it is when the GT-R get's here.

Re: Dilberts Rule

For the engineers -- I think we'd all love to hear why you own an NSX. Is it, directly or indirectly, related to your career interests? Did you buy an NSX because it's an engineering milestone on wheels (and, as an engineer, you think that's cool enough to buy one) or did you just get one for the same reasons as the rest of us?
We Dilberts can't get chicks any other way. :cool: (That's a lie, even the NSX can't help the real Dilberts) :redface:

We like the fact that the practicality of this "exotic" is still a well kept secret.

Being an Engineer, I like the fact that the NSX has these attributes.

• Lightweight
  • Low center of gravity
  • Low coefficient of aerodynamic drag
  • Independant double wish bone suspension
  • Good Driver Visibility
  • Ergonomic Cockpit layout
  • Mid Engine Layout
  • Titanium Connecting Rods
  • V-TEC
  • Reliability
  • Limited Production

I was comparing an NSX to a C5 Vette and because of the depreciation and exclusivity of the NSX, it made it an easy decision for me. I am not wrapped up on the amount of HP. A good driver can whip a vette on the track with an NSX.

Ski I'd be interested to learn the same thing... but there are a LOT of areas of employment / sources of wealth missing from that list. Can you add to it?

Right now it says more about the world you see than it does about the world that sees Prime :smile:

If it can be modified, the areas of employment listed on the front page of www.seek.com.au are pretty comprehensive, plus military, born rich, got lucky and thankfully retired :)

Hi

I did not find an option for me either.

I guess beeing on sick leave with the goverment and insurancecompany paying my fees is not a career :biggrin:

I was almost a IT engineer before I dropped out of school. I last worked as the person getting all the electronics the customers had fixed when it broke. Then I worked as a car salesman for 14 days until I smacked myself quite good last easter and was down.

I have no idea what the future brings. I may end up as a keyboard cowboy or something. I may end up in sales again. Who knows. What I know is that I have my precious Honda NSX. And it will be kept. I say I may sell my apartment before I let it go and that is not far from the truth.

I bought it since it was the best thing to do. What else could I buy? I wanted stunning looks which the NSX has. I wanted a car that nobody else has. I wanted something I could afford and have people turn their heads and wonder "what the heck was that and damn it looked so fresh and cool".

I had a Honda Prelude 2.2VTEC before I bought the NSX and it was also fresh and stunning. But the NSX is in a another ballpark. The NSX has always been the dream and when I had a chance to buy one I was very pleased.

Now I will go and prepare it for a season of driving. It is still cold here. But some time during the week I will turn the unobtanium key and get a big smile on my face again. :biggrin:

Regards

Being an Engineer, I like the fact that the NSX has these attributes.

• Lightweight
  • Low center of gravity
  • Low coefficient of aerodynamic drag
  • Independant double wish bone suspension
  • Good Driver Visibility
  • Ergonomic Cockpit layout
  • Mid Engine Layout
  • Titanium Connecting Rods
  • V-TEC
  • Reliability
  • Limited Production

I was comparing an NSX to a C5 Vette and because of the depreciation and exclusivity of the NSX, it made it an easy decision for me. I am not wrapped up on the amount of HP. A good driver can whip a vette on the track with an NSX.

I would like to add

* high speed stability(track & sidewinds) unlike the 348/355 all withoutundertrays.
* Hand assembled
* Form over function

Back