• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Powder coating

Was thinking about getting some items powder coated and have a question about it.
Can you get it in different finishes? Like textured, glossy, matte, etc?

yup. Glossy, flat, metallic, clear, tinted, wrinkle, etc.

Your local powder coater should have 'chips' showing different colors and textures. Lots of options for many different applications. Make sure you tell them what you intend on using the part for, some of the fancy finishes are not durable enough for exterior use and don't not hold up to abrasion.

I use powder coat on some of my bicycle frames and my local guy won't shoot some of the finishes for me, says it won't last.

titaniumdave said:
Your local powder coater should have 'chips' showing different colors and textures. Lots of options for many different applications. Make sure you tell them what you intend on using the part for, some of the fancy finishes are not durable enough for exterior use and don't not hold up to abrasion.

I use powder coat on some of my bicycle frames and my local guy won't shoot some of the finishes for me, says it won't last.

That is good to know.

This is a pretty good site for finding various colors. The variety is still not as good as paint.

I was quoted prices for about $90 a wheel for standard powder colors (white, black) on OEM 16/17s. If you want anything more than the standard half dozen colors, I was told I would still pay about the same price, plus the cost of whatever powder I wanted. This has been a while ago, and I am sure this price varies by location.

A couple other things to note: some powders are more or less durable; some materials podercoat well (al, steel), and some are harder or impossible due to the high heat required to bake the powder.

I am sure there is a lot more that you will need to know regarding 3 pcs wheels or anything else more complex, but this is about as far as my research took me.

Good luck.

Back