• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power Seat failure! Anyone have experience?

My passenger seat won't recline. I can hear the motor when pushing the switch but the back support does not move.

Has anyone had this problem? Can you fix the gears/cables from under the seat or do you have to remove the upholstery?

Thanks in advance,

marc

By the way got my new MOMO rims on the car. It transforms the car!

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

Normally the seat comes out easily. Just unbolt (it 2 front, 2 rear) then angle it up a bit from the front, reach under and unplug the motor underneath then angle it to the side and unbolt the seatbelt.

However, since yours won't move it may be harder to get it unbolted since normally you have to move it back and forth to reach the various bolts easily.

I like to put a heavy towel over the door sill trim so I don't scratch it when I'm messing with the seats. Good luck.

Tyhanks Lud.

I can actually move the lower part...just the back support is stuck.

Any idea what this might be? I guess you are saying that I'll see the problem

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

I don't know what the problem is, but all the mechanics are attached to the bottom of the seat so taking it out is certainly a good place to start. If it's a busted motor, I'm not sure if they are even available without buying the entire seat. If not, check with salvage shops and I'm sure you'll find some there.

Originally posted by Lud:
I'm not sure if they are even available without buying the entire seat.

Does anyone have a link (or an estimate from Acura perhaps) on that it would cost to replace the seats?

Thanks -

NSX seats are actually one of the most expensive seperate pieces on the car. The retail for the seat is over $4,400!!!! Like Lud said, find a motor in the salvage yards.

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I've had the seats out to do some minor mods. The motors operate long threaded rods to move the seat bottom and back. Perhaps, if as you say the motor is working, you've simply got a stripped rod?

Flying Low,

I have experience with the seat. I replaced to recliner motor assembly on the passenger side for a friend of mine. The unit is sold as a complete motor with the drive gears. I am not sure exactly what is wrong with yours, but you will have to remove the leather and padding to get to the motor/drive gear. DO NOT try to remove the motor from the drive gear. I tried this and ended up with the whole thing in "kit" form. The base of the drive unit is also the bearing assembly for the motor. Beleive me, if I could dis-assembly it and fix it, I would have. If I recall the assembly is about $200 from GUNN ACURA.

If you want a blow by blow description of the dis-assembly, private me, and I will try to explain. Basically you have to "gut" the seat back, to get to everything, once it is out of the car. The good news is, if you take your time and also buy about 16 of the little black plastic clips that hold the leather on the frame, no one will ever know you were in there.

HTH,
LarryB

I knew someone would have experience... what a great site we have!

I'll e-mail you privately Larry

thanks again, marc

[This message has been edited by Flying Low (edited 25 September 2000).]

I have this problem as well. Motor sounds like its working but the seat does not move. I was quoted in the range of $300 for the motor unit (not sure what it consists of but the guy said that it is not the whole thing) from Sierra Acura before my employee discount (I work for Sierra Honda). Anyone else have experience with the recline problem? Any idea of what the problem is?

Over a period of time, my drivers seat would intermittently move slower than usual. One day it just stopped moving forward and backward. I took the seat out, flipped it over and busted up laughing. Rewind to a couple of years back, then fast forward through time, stopping at the points where I'd throw a piece of dental floss behind my seat after using it, then picking up all [or so I thought] the pieces every couple of days to throw them away. It took me literally one hour to cut all of the dental floss out of the worm gear. I started wadding the pieces up and putting them into my pocket after that.

Larry Bastanza said:
Flying Low,

I have experience with the seat. I replaced to recliner motor assembly on the passenger side for a friend of mine. The unit is sold as a complete motor with the drive gears. I am not sure exactly what is wrong with yours, but you will have to remove the leather and padding to get to the motor/drive gear. DO NOT try to remove the motor from the drive gear. I tried this and ended up with the whole thing in "kit" form. The base of the drive unit is also the bearing assembly for the motor. Beleive me, if I could dis-assembly it and fix it, I would have. If I recall the assembly is about $200 from GUNN ACURA.

HTH,
LarryB

LOL I tried to just replace the "Guts" on mine thinking it would be easier than doing the whole assembly.Boy,was I sadly mistaken !
Brushes and springs everywhere !!!
Managed to re-assemble though.

Stacy

Back