• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Practical Stuff - Speed bumps to avoid, avoiding windshield chips, what else?

I've never owned a car as low-slung as the NSX...so any advice?

Are standard-size speedbumps truly a danger to the X? Will I have to give an even wider berth to big rigs that may spit up rocks ready to chip the heck out of my windshield? What else should I be thinking about, in terms of the practical basics? Welcome advice from you experienced owners.

The "reactions" thread has me prepared for more reactions / an increase in friendly chats at the gas pump :) Curious what else you've noticed with your NC1?

T minus a week for you! I have been reading quite a few stories about rock chips on the windshield and how easy it can chip/crack. It sounds like some folks are going with windshield film like ClearPlex which can be pricey. In terms of front end scraps, I am going with acura front bumper protection film kit - mainly because my dealer agreed to install for free. I am not sure how well they will work to protect against big scrapes but I don't have CB pieces up front (just plastic trim).
SOS has drill on protection but seems like too much trouble for me and don't want to drill.

low approach angles are something you have to learn..If your eyes don't like a situation trust them.I think getting the underside protector is worth it if you drive in an urban environment.

I've found it a non-issue with front clearance. But always be careful and when in doubt find another entrance of different route. I have scraped a couple times with no real damage. One was on a gravel road transitioning to another gravel road at a weird angle.

Normal sized speed bumps are ok too.

I picked up a windshield chip in Wyoming about 7,000 miles ago and it's holding ok. Driver's side top corner. It's a badge of honor from an incredible road trip. My tint guys didn't (still don't?) offer an exterior windshield film and they gave me a treatment of C-Bond Nanoshield that supposedly helps protect the windshield. I've bought another bottle and applied it a while ago, need to do it again. Hope it helps. Cheap at under $40.

And luckily no rock chips. Sure the PPF is doing its job yet nothing showing as an impact, and obviously keep your distance if stuff is being kicked up in front of you. I spend 90% of my time of backroad with little traffic.

With stuff being kicked up I'm always concerned about stuff getting thru the honeycomb grate protecting the intercooler radiators. FAIK there is no way to clean out stuff once it gets in there. Maybe blow it out and get lucky if it comes out?

Also check your front radiator after fall or backroad drives, just checked mine again after a couple months and lots of leaves were scooped up. Not easy getting a vacuum cleaner tip way back in there.
What I just pulled out with the vacuum cleaner.

1.jpg

Last edited:
The worst thing I have experienced is being in quiet mode or having the car switch to quiet mode when I pull up to a speed bump.

The car doesn't "creep" over the bump like in Sport+ and it lurches when I try to feather the gas pedal to go over the bump and then bottoms out, swell.

Another reason to just stay in Sport+ mode.

SOS, but it is not the bumper that scrapes.

It is the "lifting" points (behind the wheels) that make contact with the speed bump if I go over it too quickly which is what happens in Quiet mode when I try to feather the gas to get over the bump.

The car lurches over the bump and then there is the thump.

I don't have the problem if I stay in Sport+.

These are great recommendations, keep 'em coming. [MENTION=34751]NbyNW[/MENTION] holy cow on those leaves! That's nearly a squirrel nest - appreciate the tip.

Which do you have? Acura film doesn't look like it will do much and will start flaking after a few scrapes?

Nope, the Acura film has very much exceeded my expectations. I scrape on something at least a couple of times a week, no matter how careful I am. There was one unexpected dip that scraped so hard I cringed all the way until my next stop and I was almost afraid to look under the front lip to check the damage. So far you can barely even see a scratch on the protection film. It's doing an amazing job for me!

Nope, the Acura film has very much exceeded my expectations. I scrape on something at least a couple of times a week, no matter how careful I am. There was one unexpected dip that scraped so hard I cringed all the way until my next stop and I was almost afraid to look under the front lip to check the damage. So far you can barely even see a scratch on the protection film. It's doing an amazing job for me!

Good to know DJ Iceman! I am planning to have my dealer install these upon delivery.

Thanks for the info. It seems like you can't buy C Bond via online retailers? How did you purchase?

I've found it a non-issue with front clearance. But always be careful and when in doubt find another entrance of different route. I have scraped a couple times with no real damage. One was on a gravel road transitioning to another gravel road at a weird angle.

Normal sized speed bumps are ok too.

I picked up a windshield chip in Wyoming about 7,000 miles ago and it's holding ok. Driver's side top corner. It's a badge of honor from an incredible road trip. My tint guys didn't (still don't?) offer an exterior windshield film and they gave me a treatment of C-Bond Nanoshield that supposedly helps protect the windshield. I've bought another bottle and applied it a while ago, need to do it again. Hope it helps. Cheap at under $40.

And luckily no rock chips. Sure the PPF is doing its job yet nothing showing as an impact, and obviously keep your distance if stuff is being kicked up in front of you. I spend 90% of my time of backroad with little traffic.

With stuff being kicked up I'm always concerned about stuff getting thru the honeycomb grate protecting the intercooler radiators. FAIK there is no way to clean out stuff once it gets in there. Maybe blow it out and get lucky if it comes out?

I believe the key to keeping your windshield and also front bumper area clear of chips is to always stay well behind other cars. I looked at a lot of cars over the years. Most all the cars that I have seen that do not regularly drive on the freeway have little to no windshield or hood chips. So my conclusion is driving at 55 and over is sufficient such that a small rock will chip or worse on your windshield. I stay behind cars and give them space. It is hard because everyone seems to want to pass me and immediately get in front of me. So far after 4000 miles I have not suffered significant windshield damage. And I can drive in the slow lane and get lots of thumbs up. If I do get in the fast lane then I have to stay ahead of everyone and the problem is they want to come along your side to see the car then pass you and get in front. Life is like a box of chocolates........

I was told that the film from Acura is the same stuff used on military helicopters and is very tough

Most speed bumps are fine, I did scrape over an extra wide one once

Early on watch out stuff includes; merging onto highways and lane changes due to blind spots and reversing maneuvers as rear visibility and getting a sense where the rear corners of the car are takes some time.

Looks like there are two versions for Acura film - Carbon Fiber and non Carbon fiber front end. I am getting the non CB which has two small pieces for the painted portion of the spoiler. Is it advisable to get the full set and apply it to the plastic area as well?

This diagram should help explain better than I can - basically film A (can this be applied on plastic surface) or does it even matter since it's not painted and you can hardly see this area.

http://www.nsxwiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Front-bumper-protection-films.pdf

I have put 6000 miles on mine since Sept. I have a windshield crack about 8 inches long that I noticed when I got back from the track. I sometimes take it to work which is an 80 mile round trip on the highway, I try and keep distance from other cars but I can tell the front has taken a beating by the dents in the PPF. Thankfully the previous owner wrapped the entire car. I really the car came with a front lift. Some areas around here a scrape is inevitable. My car isn't a garage queen but I figure as long as my paint is intact I can replace the undercoating windshield etc

Leave yourself extra time getting gas. You will get at least one guaranteed conversation per fill up. The car is extremely rare and generates a lot of attention.

MC

I ordered it directly from C-Bond last year. I just sent them an email for another bottle. Will let you know what I hear.

Thanks - just got an email back from C Bond. Looks like $50 shipped which isn't bad. I presume easy to apply and no real harm in doing this as preventative measure.

Back in the day we would have had a spirited discussion if this film could withstand a porcupine strike....:tongue:

Thanks - just got an email back from C Bond. Looks like $50 shipped which isn't bad. I presume easy to apply and no real harm in doing this as preventative measure.
Super easy, spray on squeegee off. No residual either. Wiped edges with a paper towel. One bottle was good for two cars. 2oz or so, I’ll look at my bottle. I haven’t heard back from them yet.

it is a cheap preventative, hope it’s doing something. Guess it fills in and binds microscopic pores/gaps.

Back