• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pretty NSX-R GT

Honda is only producing this car because they need a production version of their JGTC race cars. Just like the super-rare Toyota GT1 street cars, they exist only to meet the minimum sales quota to field a similar car.
In the case of JGTC, the cars have to keep a similar silhouette as the street version. The scoop is there not because the street car needs it, but because the race version needs it, and the cars need to look about the same.

paladin said:
Honda is only producing this car because they need a production version of their JGTC race cars. Just like the super-rare Toyota GT1 street cars, they exist only to meet the minimum sales quota to field a similar car.
In the case of JGTC, the cars have to keep a similar silhouette as the street version. The scoop is there not because the street car needs it, but because the race version needs it, and the cars need to look about the same.

Well, maybe they should have put the same 500HP motor in there!

docjohn said:
.I've thought about grafting a generic side scoop for that opening.

What benefit do you think that would give? More airflow? couple extra ponies? I think the only reason they did it on this car was to get the car a little wider for the JGTC. Reminds me of a C6 Z06.

For a stock car I doubt it would be usefull,but for a track car with a more open intake setup and iem, like I have, every little bit helps.Either way it would be a relatively cheap placebo :wink:

NetViper said:
Well, maybe they should have put the same 500HP motor in there!
unfortunately, i think its a pretty finicky motor. i know some guys tried to take the old mobil1 gt500 nsx to the 24 hours at the ring, and had to detune it to the 400's to make sure it didnt blow up... still, we can always dream :rolleyes:

edit: maybe honda motor company doesnt know how to release a factory turbo powered car. i believe every other major japanese maker has (nissan had the skyline, mazda has the FD, subaru has the wrx, mitsu has the evo and 3000 vr4, toyota has the supra...

Last edited:
paladin said:
unfortunately, i think its a pretty finicky motor. i know some guys tried to take the old mobil1 gt500 nsx to the 24 hours at the ring, and had to detune it to the 400's to make sure it didnt blow up... still, we can always dream :rolleyes:

edit: maybe honda motor company doesnt know how to release a factory turbo powered car. i believe every other major japanese maker has (nissan had the skyline, mazda has the FD, subaru has the wrx, mitsu has the evo and 3000 vr4, toyota has the supra...

I find it hard to beleive that Honda cannot make 500HP from a turbo C30 or C32, when guys like Gerry Johnson and Factor X can do it. They don't have the resources of a multi-billion dollar company, but they did it.

I read in SCC that Honda had to switch to the C30 for the GT500 class because the C32 was causing problems with the turbo.

I also read Nissan is releasing a special version of the Skyline, I guess for the same reasons as honda. However, theirs is supposed to do the quarter in 10 seconds and only cost 150K or so! :eek:

Thought I'd revive this...
The reason why they left the engine alone was because under the racing series rules, they would have modded and turbocharged the engine anyway. This GT edition is all about aerodynamics...

If Super GT would be a championship where you have to keep the race car close to an existing road model (which it apparently isn't as a silhouette championship) Honda would have had to build a streetable F/I engine along with other serious suspension and chassis modifications. I guess that's what he meant but that's all just grey (gray?) theory.

For more info we have some other threads, e.g. here .

Back